Nick Diaz boxing style

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello I was trying to see if anyone could break down his style because besides his image as a person he has some great boxing skills...... and myself with long arms and boxing backround I would like to take some pages from his book..... he opens his guard a lot and sometimes its either him doing a lead feint or taunting his opponent but it usually works........I see also he has the looping lead hook.
What else makes him boxing great for mma.... anyone?

Here's Freddie Roach talking about Diaz's boxing: Freddie Roach talks GSP Injury, Nick Diaz's Boxing, Anderson Silva Best Boxer in MMA - YouTube

In Roach's opinion, Diaz doesn't have very good 'pure' boxing for the following reasons: He has no footwork, comes in straight lines, doesn't use angles.

His strengths, again in Roach's opinion, are that he is a very good puncher - he is very accurate, and he has great stamina.

This doesn't necessarily answer your question directly, but it gives some indication of what makes Diaz's boxing good for use in mma.

PS: I am assuming you know who Freddie Roach is [/appealtoauthority]

Here's Freddie Roach talking about Diaz's boxing: Freddie Roach talks GSP Injury, Nick Diaz's Boxing, Anderson Silva Best Boxer in MMA - YouTube

In Roach's opinion, Diaz doesn't have very good 'pure' boxing for the following reasons: He has no footwork, comes in straight lines, doesn't use angles.

His strengths, again in Roach's opinion, are that he is a very good puncher - he is very accurate, and he has great stamina.

This doesn't necessarily answer your question directly, but it gives some indication of what makes Diaz's boxing good for use in mma.

Andre Ward (World champ and Olymic glod medalist) Sparred with him and wouldn't say how it went of course but seemed to speak highly of Diaz. Said he learns well.

Andre Ward, Omar Henry, Dan Chargin, JoeRogan, Frank Shamrock, Richard Perez, Miguel Cotto and Floyd Maywether Sr all disagree with Roach. PFFFFF Freddie Roach also said Sergio Martinez Can't box, You believe that shit ???

Andre Ward, Omar Henry [..] Miguel Cotto and Floyd Maywether Sr

Sources, or did not happen.

Ward always skirted around the bush when asked about Nick.
Henry sparred him, but never said anything about it as far as I know
Cotto was trying to get him into camp; never went any further than that
Floyd offered to train him. Hmm Floyd offering to train someone who makes money. Who'da thought? Not exactly an endorsement of skill. And if GSP weren't a student of Roach, I doubt Mayweather would give a shit.

Henry sparred him, but never said anything about it as far as I know

This happened at my gym in late April and I was there. It was sort of embarrassing for Nick Diaz, he was really getting beaten on. He actually came away from the session with a mouse under his left eye. He hung in there well, though... he lasted 6 rounds (3 minutes each, I believe) before doing mitt work with his coach.

^ right on, I remember you saying something about that before. A lot of people were claiming that the video was edited to make Omar look better than he actually was.

^ right on, I remember you saying something about that before. A lot of people were claiming that the video was edited to make Omar look better than he actually was.

Those people are probably Diaz nuthuggers :D I got nothing against Diaz, but he really did not too hot. His boxing works well in MMA, but then again, MMA does not have the most elite level of strikers. Diaz spent a lot of time leaning in the inside where he should not have been, eating hooks and some hard uppercuts. To give him credit, he was facing an undefeated professional boxer.

Here's a good article on how his style is very similar to old school bare-knuckle boxing rather than the gloved form we're all used to: mobile.headkicklegend.com/2011/11/4/2538105/the-pugilist-nick-diaz-daniel-mendoza-and-the-sweet-science-of

Here's a good article on how his style is very similar to old school bare-knuckle boxing rather than the gloved form we're all used to: mobile.headkicklegend.com/2011/11/4/2538105/the-pugilist-nick-diaz-daniel-mendoza-and-the-sweet-science-of

That article is stupid

Diaz is an exceptionally physical fighter so unless you have a chin and gastank like him then his approach to striking isnt a good idea. Its unfair to say he cant box (unless you mean box as in stick and move) because like it or not he did manage to outbox kj noons who is no world beater by any means but put together a record with more Ws than Ls against other professional boxers, cans or not.

That said his footwork is his glaring weakness and is GSPs biggest tool on the feet so homeboy is gonna have to pick up some new dance steps from Pappa Floyd to hang with the champ.

Diaz also isnt a pure boxer like bj or jds. His kicks are underrated and his clinch game was really something against Penn.

Back