New Member At TaekWondo

Michael Robinson

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
My name is Michael Robinson and i am 15 years old and i am a new member at taekwondo and how do i get better at the Sidekicks with my right foot and left foot ?

My name is Michael Robinson and i am 15 years old and i am a new member at taekwondo and how do i get better at the Sidekicks with my right foot and left foot ?

Hey Michael, good work with starting a martial art, TaeKwonDo is great.

Like most things - practise will make you better, but it is also very important early on to listen to what your coach says.

It can also help to practise the techniques slowly to help build up strength and coordination.

Good luck.

Hey Michael, good work with starting a martial art, TaeKwonDo is great.

Like most things - practise will make you better, but it is also very important early on to listen to what your coach says.

It can also help to practise the techniques slowly to help build up strength and coordination.

Good luck.
Ok thank you .

Hey Michael, a good trick is to hold one hand on a chair so you can ballance and hold your leg up as if kicking as long as you can. gradually you will build strength and be able to kick like bruce lee. This whole video by ginger ninja who also does TKD is great.good luck buddy

Hey Michael, a good trick is to hold one hand on a chair so you can ballance and hold your leg up as if kicking as long as you can. gradually you will build strength and be able to kick like bruce lee. This whole video by ginger ninja who also does TKD is great.good luck buddy

Thank you .

In kyokushin karate we take a step with our back foot to an inch in front of our lead foot and then bring the knee up to our chest and throw it out like a jab. For the back leg we create an angle with a small step on the front leg and chamber the kick, throw it out, chamber it back and return to fighting stance. Left kick will likely go higher after practice. Stretch and practice, only advice someone can give you man.

TKD is very unnatural on your body, you can't really do anything but dedicate yourself to practicing it. If you enjoy it and want to get really good, spend as much time as doesn't interfere with your life on it. Most people quit after a few months, but if you love it you'll find yourself spending double digit hours per week on it for years to come. Your young age is a massive blessing as it's one of the most athletically demanding martial arts and hard to get into as an adult.

- Learn proper technique (coach/experienced guys/videos)
-Do your stretching seriously
-Balance exercises (Do the movement slowly number of times, without the striking leg touching the floor. Hop on one foot with the proper stance...)
-Train it again and again and again, if possible while someone watching who is able to correct it
-Understand the different types and their use. (defense/offense, jumping, feints, double, pushing/striking)
-Train it in the air for balance, speed. Train it on a heavy bag for power (or kicking shield)
-Try it in a combination, not only as a single strike. (Turning kick to side kick, side kick to back kick...)
-Be patient

Edit:

Also learn how people defend it:
-Avoid it. Movement back, side etc...
-Block it. Most people in TKD don't use this type of defense
-Parry it. It can be very dangerous for you, finding your self off balance, open to counters...
-Counters. That's what good TKD is about. A lot of option there. Spinning hooks, back kicks,
front foot turning...

Last edited:
cool man. thats where all the fun is, the sparring. plus in karate or tkd it never gets too heavy so you learn.
Yes and my dad is a black belt and a teacher and about me My name is Michael Robinson and i am 15 years old and i am a new member at taekwondo i am in the adult class i am in 10th grade and i do cyber school online i do sports like football my football team is 14-0 now and i do track and field and wrestler .

Yes and my dad is a black belt and a teacher and about me My name is Michael Robinson and i am 15 years old and i am a new member at taekwondo i am in the adult class i am in 10th grade and i do cyber school online i do sports like football my football team is 14-0 now and i do track and field and wrestler .
thats cool man. how do you wrestle if you do cyber school?

thats cool man. how do you wrestle if you do cyber school?
Because some school in USA like kids do sports at there school if they do cyber school online but i used to go to school but i do cyber school online now

Post some vids of your kicks so we can critique it and tell you how to improve. Without context, it's hard to help you. We can tell you all the things of throwing it right but you may know this already. I know how to throw everything on paper but in practice I make a lot of mistakes still.

If you know what to look for, kick the mirror and see yourself. If you want help, post vids.

Post some vids of your kicks so we can critique it and tell you how to improve. Without context, it's hard to help you. We can tell you all the things of throwing it right but you may know this already. I know how to throw everything on paper but in practice I make a lot of mistakes still.

If you know what to look for, kick the mirror and see yourself. If you want help, post vids.
Ok i will post video in my next class.

Back