NEW Craig Jones DVD is OUT! - The Z Guard Encyclopedia - Review??

Colleric

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I just came over new Craig JOnes DVD called The Z Guard Encyclopedia

Anyone Maybe Bought it? I have his Leg attacks dvd and even one with kit dale but not sure if this one is worth buying?
So if anyone bought maybe you could write a few words.....

Not yet but definately will. The previews look awsome.....

I don't know really. You can try FANOM10 that was working for 10%

Fuck the Z guard.

Nah I like it too but I have a hell of a time passing my partners’ z guards.

Fuck the Z guard.

Nah I like it too but I have a hell of a time passing my partners’ z guards.

I'm just watching a DVD from Dean Lister and his leg locks where he's saying that Knee Shield doesn't make any sense :)

Another dvd? Mr. Jones is fairly prolific.

I'm just watching a DVD from Dean Lister and his leg locks where he's saying that Knee Shield doesn't make any sense :)
Old-style knee shield is very vulnerable to leglocks from an aggressive attacker in no-gi. Z-guard is different in important ways and is much much less vulnerable to that issue.

Old-style knee shield is very vulnerable to leglocks from an aggressive attacker in no-gi. Z-guard is different in important ways and is much much less vulnerable to that issue.
How so? It still seems vulnerable to leg lock games...

Really, every guard is 'vulnerable' to leg attacks in some way since by definition it involves putting your feet between you are your opponent in some manner.

How so? It still seems vulnerable to leg lock games...
The low version used by Jones denies two of the important elements of leg control - inside space and hip mobility. A higher knee shield has enough space between the knees of the guarder that it is possible for the top man to pummel both legs inside and enter ashi garami. It also does not as tightly restrict hip mobility as the low, tight Z version, potentially permitting swinging entries to outside ashi or kneebars. IME, even toeholds are easier versus a 45 degree knee shield than a low Z.

Really, every guard is 'vulnerable' to leg attacks in some way since by definition it involves putting your feet between you are your opponent in some manner.

Absolutely. However, certain guards are more vulnerable than others, especially in no gi without the sleeve or collar grips that restrict the top man’s ability to move his shoulders or attain alignment.

If you are a serious grappler or even a recreational grappler who’d simply like to dominate at your gym and get your due respect, then this series is a must have for you.

lol ordering this to get my due hespect

Another dvd? Mr. Jones is fairly prolific.

Come on man the guy is making hay while the sun is still out. AND to his credit, he's still very much actively competing.

That's unlike at least one other prominent proponent that rest their laurels on a win for about 10 years. In this fella's defence though, I did like his BJJ content

Anybody know how much overlap there is between this new dvd and the old z guard masterclass he did with kit dale?

Come on man the guy is making hay while the sun is still out. AND to his credit, he's still very much actively competing.

That's unlike at least one other prominent proponent that rest their laurels on a win for about 10 years. In this fella's defence though, I did like his BJJ content

Come on? It wasn't a criticism at all my friend.

The guy sold his car just to afford to be able to fly to Asia to do the ADCC trials.

The window for people to actually care about you in athletic endeavors is small and in grappling it's even smaller. I like that he's getting his money while the getting is good. Plus he is a likeable guy and he doesn't have the kind of personality that leads to over exposure. If anything the more I see of him the more I like him.

Anybody know how much overlap there is between this new dvd and the old z guard masterclass he did with kit dale?
I haven't seen either but I'd be more likely to get the new one because it seems like it has more content and his first instructional through BJJ Fanatics was good

Back