New coach doesn't like hooks?

Logan gates

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Alright so i just joined a new gym about two weeks ago, during time on the bag i was going through my normal techniques and my coach came up to me and said i should'nt throw hooks and he emphasized when he next said "especially not lead hooks".

I'm not sure if he thought my technique was off but iv'e been in this for about two years now so i'm pretty knowledgeable. About how to move and throw.

I asked him why and he responded with "hooks expose too much of your head and lead hooks (he chuckled a little) lead hooks are disrespectful to experienced fighters.

Okay so iv'e never heard this before and was wondering what you guys think? Is it me or is this guy a little kookoo?

You aren't Roy jones so get lead hooks out of your head.

I'm not sure what he meant by "disrespectful to experienced fighters". A lead hook without any setup is a bad idea (throwing anything besides a jab without setting it up is a bad idea). You can see how guys like Ward & Floyd usually set it up (attacking the body consistently, then feinting to the body and hooking high). But I get the feeling he was talking more about you and where you're at. I'd challenge you to at least entertain the idea that you aren't as good as you think you are and listen. It's easy to get defensive when you change environments and things aren't done the way you're used to. But it doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong or right.

If he's really against the idea of hooks as a general rule though, then I'm left scratching my head. Who would send their charges out there with fewer weapons on purpose? I don't think that's the case though. I think he's mostly talking to you.

Try some lead hooks in sparring

Did your coach saw you sparring? I think he's trying to help, I'm no pro, but I had my fair share of boxing when I was younger, and Everytime I did this without set up or looking to counter I probably lost some brain cells. Just listen to him!

You should explain to him that even if 1000 lead hooks miss, the 1001st that lands will look totally awesome on your highlight reel.

Touch him with the jab then fill the room with uppercuts.

Also sounds like a stupid reason to not throw a lead hook.

sounds like you havent ever really sparred

lead hooks are great when you are an A level fighter and can set them up and time them, you try that shit with someone who can even do the basics, and you are getting punched in the face while being badly out of position

Did your coach really say "especially not lead hooks" (i.e. hooks with your forward arm) or did he say "don't lead with a hook" (i.e. letting it be the first punch in a series)?
If it's the latter I can understand him (as it's incredibly easy to see coming, unless it's a counter of course) but if it's the former then your coach is a complete moron and you need to switch gyms asap.

Alright so i just joined a new gym about two weeks ago, during time on the bag i was going through my normal techniques and my coach came up to me and said i should'nt throw hooks and he emphasized when he next said "especially not lead hooks".

I'm not sure if he thought my technique was off but iv'e been in this for about two years now so i'm pretty knowledgeable. About how to move and throw.

I asked him why and he responded with "hooks expose too much of your head and lead hooks (he chuckled a little) lead hooks are disrespectful to experienced fighters.

Okay so iv'e never heard this before and was wondering what you guys think? Is it me or is this guy a little kookoo?

I've trained in a few different gyms over the years , boxing and kickboxing, and all of my coaches have taught me different things which has helped me improve. Listen to what the fella has to say, it'll probably be to your advantage

He's scared of your lead hook. When your coach is that shook, you know you're doing something right. More lead hooks next time.

A lot of coaches very strongly emphasise straight punches not because they don't think you should ever throw hooks, but because so many beginners (and some intermediates) overdo hooks, and doing that is not only ineffective but it also looks fucking retarded (especially when beginners are doing it). So guys get told to focus on straight punching until they realise that straight punches - the jab obviously being the most important - is what it's about most of the time.

perhaps you should take what he says on board for a while and see how you go.

how long have you been boxing out of curiosity?

I'm not sure what he meant by "disrespectful to experienced fighters". A lead hook without any setup is a bad idea (throwing anything besides a jab without setting it up is a bad idea). You can see how guys like Ward & Floyd usually set it up (attacking the body consistently, then feinting to the body and hooking high). But I get the feeling he was talking more about you and where you're at. I'd challenge you to at least entertain the idea that you aren't as good as you think you are and listen. It's easy to get defensive when you change environments and things aren't done the way you're used to. But it doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong or right.

If he's really against the idea of hooks as a general rule though, then I'm left scratching my head. Who would send their charges out there with fewer weapons on purpose? I don't think that's the case though. I think he's mostly talking to you.

bingo at least entertain his approach and try to understand what he means and how it could help you...

also thinking that u can always learn or need to improve will keep u open minded and receptive to diff approaches concepts and coaching styles..

u can never learn to much, even if ultimately u find its not for you; your perspective has increased

Back