New Book "Chasing Hillary"

Fluffernutter

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Journalist followed Clinton during her two presidential elections.

Cliffs of the article:

- Generational divide within the 2016 campaign with Bill Clinton telling Robby Mook (36 at the time) that he was seeing that Trump was appealing to the white working class voters....people Bill considered his voters by turning them Democratic back in the 90s. But, it looked like rather than take his advice, Mook mocked Bill.

- Hillary swore a lot during prep-time for debates to ensure she didn't swear during the actual debate.

- 84 slogans were tried out before "Stronger Together" was chosen.

- The " basket of deplorables" comment was actually planned ahead of time. I assumed it was her talking off-the-cuff. But, alas, she planned to use that phrase. Shhheeeesh.

- Campaign spent a lot of time trying to fight against Hillary's "unlikeability" and her being "inauthentic" . But, Hillary accepted the fact that people didn't find her likeable.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...donald-trump-amy-chozick-chasing-hillary-book

My two cents:

If so much energy was spent on trying to fight against people not liking Hillary, why on earth didnt the campaign simply embrace the fact that people didn't like her?

"Yes. I'm a jerk. But you know what? It takes a jerk to actually get things done in Washington!"

Last edited:
Bill knew what the fuck was up. White working class voters jumped ship.

Every time I read a few sentences in an article about Hillary I immediately remember how much I dislike that woman.
Not sure why? I am not even American.

Every time I read a few sentences in an article about Hillary I immediately remember how much I dislike that woman.
Not sure why? I am not even American.

And the bizarre thing is that rather than accept people don't like her (even though they could still vote for her), the campaign tried to make her likable.

Normal person: I'm concerned about student debt, low wage jobs, and global instability.

Hillary's campaign team: Let's get her dancing on Ellen with a smile on her face!

She plain and simple thought she was the heir apparent and it came back to bite her in the ass. She also relied so heavy on the fact that "women are going to vote for me because I'm a woman" and that turned out to be a HUGE miscalculation.

Also LOL at her swearing a lot so she didn't swear on stage, I've found that to be the opposite the more I swear the most often I interject an F bomb at inappropriate times.

And the bizarre thing is that rather than accept people don't like her (even though they could still vote for her), the campaign tried to make her likable.

Normal person: I'm concerned about student debt, low wage jobs, and global instability.

Hillary's campaign team: Let's get her dancing on Ellen with a smile on her face!

So you let go of your concern for student debt, low wages and global instability because Hilary failed to be charismatic enough on Ellen?

Not sure I get your point.

If the Clintons ran on bills platform from back in the day, they’d have won.

Instead they chose progressivism, which is always the choice of losers.

My two cents:

If so much energy was spent on trying to fight against people not liking Hillary, why on earth didnt the campaign simply embrace the fact that people didn't like her?

"Yes. I'm a jerk. But you know what? It takes a jerk to actually get things done in Washington!"

She tried. She embraced that "nasty" tag that went viral for a while but that stuff doesn't win elections.

There were too many people hell bent on sticking it to the libs!!!!

So you let go of your concern for student debt, low wages and global instability because Hilary failed to be charismatic enough on Ellen?

Not sure I get your point.

My point was that rather than focus on how likeable a candidate seems, why not run a campaign focused on the policy issues voters are actually cared about.

At least Bill in 92 had "It's the Economy, Stupid"

Hillary 16 had "It's My Turn To Be President."

She plain and simple thought she was the heir apparent and it came back to bite her in the ass. She also relied so heavy on the fact that "women are going to vote for me because I'm a woman" and that turned out to be a HUGE miscalculation.

Also LOL at her swearing a lot so she didn't swear on stage, I've found that to be the opposite the more I swear the most often I interject an F bomb at inappropriate times.
Yet she criticized Trump for using foul language.

I think it’s because her unlikability wasn’t of the Brock Lesnar professional heel type. It was more the socially awkward Tim Sylvia try-hard type.

It also backfired for Hillary that the campaign had the appearance that they thought white women would vote for her just because she is a woman.
That was a big mistake turns out women vote for what they think is best for their families. And Trump talking about jobs sounded better than Hillary talking about some glass ceiling.
She should not have made the fact that she is a woman a pillar of her campaign.

Too bad they couldn't chase down those 33,000 emails.

I figured Trump had it won the moment I saw that he was hammering the rust belt with ads and campaign stops while Hillary was in a completely different part of the country stumping for down-ticket races and ignoring the belt entirely.

Her campaign was poorly run, couldn't focus on anything, and was content to let Trump lose rather than try to win. And it backfired quite spectacularly.

My point was that rather than focus on how likeable a candidate seems, why not run a campaign focused on the policy issues voters are actually cared about.

At least Bill in 92 had "It's the Economy, Stupid"

Hillary 16 had "It's My Turn To Be President."
She did focus her campaign on issues and they were fairly detailed (as far as describing them during campaigning goes). She fought against others who tried to make it about her personality.

Why are so many people getting obvious stuff wrong? It was only about a year and a half ago guys.

It also backfired for Hillary that the campaign had the appearance that they thought white women would vote for her just because she is a woman.
That was a big mistake turns out women vote for what they think is best for their families. And Trump talking about jobs sounded better than Hillary talking about some glass ceiling.
She should not have made the fact that she is a woman a pillar of her campaign.
Jesus, that's not what happened. She actually explained her policy positions that would help women, like daycare and paid maternity leave as a guarantee.

Jesus, that's not what happened. She actually explained her policy positions that would help women, like daycare and paid maternity leave as a guarantee.

Yes but not effectively. She was not able to shake the appearance that she expected women to vote for her because she is a woman.
It doesn't matter what your positions are if you can't put them into an effective message.
Something Trump was able to do. He talked about Jobs every chance he got.

Back