Neuromuscular training

dr. john lee

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
You read a lot about this type of training (guys like Marinovich, Nick Curson)... I never really thought about it and its effectiveness. Actually, thought it was more hooey than anything else. After all, while there are rogue athletes who do it... if it was so great, more NFL/NCAA teams would be adopting it if it was all that. But that is all beside my point.

I'm sitting here right now, with what feels like a bad pinched nerve in my back. I often get pinched nerves in my neck. My question is: Do neuromuscular exercises work to minimize these types of things? For example, I've been recently loking at push-up apparatus' from Dragon Door (push-up spikes basically) that are supposed to incorporate your entire body including your nervous system.

So, is this what they mean when they cite neuromuscular benefits?

What makes you think that it is a pinched nerve?

In my back? It feels like nerve pain... basically, my back went out on me a few days ago and so I went in for a chiro treatment. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have gotten an adjustment along with my treatment (i.e. violent, sudden twist) but I did. I think that twist basically aggravated a nerve.

I started this thread because I feel like I get these sorts of spine/nerve things semi-regularly, and given all the talk about neuro-training, I wonder if the two are related or not. It would give me a reason to buy another gadget like this:

http://www.dragondoor.com/products/neuro-grip/

I'm sitting here right now, with what feels like a bad pinched nerve in my back. I often get pinched nerves in my neck. My question is: Do neuromuscular exercises work to minimize these types of things? For example, I've been recently loking at push-up apparatus' from Dragon Door (push-up spikes basically) that are supposed to incorporate your entire body including your nervous system.

I started this thread because I feel like I get these sorts of spine/nerve things semi-regularly, and given all the talk about neuro-training, I wonder if the two are related or not. It would give me a reason to buy another gadget like this:

1. Any exercises you can come up with that involves your two feet touching the ground incorporates your entire body (to one extent or other).

2. Every exercise you can possibly do "incorporates your nervous system". Rule of thumb: if you're contracting any muscles, the exercise is "incorporating your nervous system".

3. That gadget is not going to help your back pain.

As soon as I read something like this
Torture Your Core, Develop a Vice-Like Grip, Toughen Your Wrists, Sculpt Your Forearms, Hammer Your Pecs—With the Neuro-Grip Push-Up Challenge!
I usually stop reading. But this time I didn't. I think I need a bath.

Also the potential danger of falling flat on your face outweighs any minute benefit this thing would give you.

Torture Your Core, Develop a Vice-Like Grip, Toughen Your Wrists, Sculpt Your Forearms, Hammer Your Pecs—With the Neuro-Grip Push-Up Challenge!
Lol! Jesus christ.

TS no, it won't necessarily help your back and no, that is not what it's for. Depends entirely what the root cause of your back problems is. Neuromuscular training is a very vague term anyway.

How do you know you have "nerve" pain? Is the pain only in the back, or do you have any symptoms anywhere else? What does it feel like, and where do you feel it?

You read a lot about this type of training (guys like Marinovich, Nick Curson)... I never really thought about it and its effectiveness. Actually, thought it was more hooey than anything else. After all, while there are rogue athletes who do it... if it was so great, more NFL/NCAA teams would be adopting it if it was all that. But that is all beside my point.

So, is this what they mean when they cite neuromuscular benefits?
Call up Dr. Edythe Heus. She wrote the book with Marv Marinovich. Or see one of her top trainers. She is also out in California like you. She now owns a studio in Agoura Hills last time I heard.

What you will gain? Strength and mobility head to toe. If you do have compression and a pinched nerve, you will learn to strengthen your lower abdominals and lengthen your spine. Take her classes and learn her workouts to get your whole body back the right way. I swear by what she teaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know if you're ever in San Diego. I can meet up and we can assess your soft-tissue and movement.

that's awesome if it can be proven thanks

i have a question wouldnt fast twitch muscle excersize count as neuromuscular training? how can you work fast twitch muscle excersizes involving your hands, your wrist ?because i get carpal tunnels a lot if i get emotional destressed from yelling, being yelled at when im multi tasking

Last edited:
Check out DNS, its a system based on developmental kinesiology.

Alot of top strength coaches and powerlifters use it to treat injuries and get the cns to fire better.

Its alot of ground based movements like crawling and rolling patterns.

Its def not voodoo and very science based.

Check out DNS, its a system based on developmental kinesiology.

Alot of top strength coaches and powerlifters use it to treat injuries and get the cns to fire better.

Its alot of ground based movements like crawling and rolling patterns.

Its def not voodoo and very science based.
I'm not going to say whether it does what it claims to do, or whether it can be useful in certain practical applications...

...but DNS is definitely not "science-based".

I guess it could be argued what scientific actually means.
My point is that the DNS system was developed by very educated therapists in a clinical setting.

Its based on very sound principals of human developmental sequensies.

Also it has a very good track record in what its supposed to do.

I had never heard of them prior to Duffin constantly talking up their methods in his own mobility work stuff. Wouldn't most of the literature be in.....not-english?

I guess it could be argued what scientific actually means.
My point is that the DNS system was developed by very educated therapists in a clinical setting.

Its based on very sound principals of human developmental sequensies.

Also it has a very good track record in what its supposed to do.
"Scientific" is a pretty well-defined term, and "developed by very educated therapists in a clinical setting" (aka "devised and practiced by some dudes with degrees") is not what it means.

"Scientific" means it has followed the scientific method:
1. formulate a hypothesis
2. properly test a hypothesis
3. collect and publish your data to be reviewed by the scientific community

As for "track record", there is no recorded data to speak of. No recorded data means no scientific evidence, which means the practice is not science-based. DNS is currently at step 1.

Again, I'm not saying whether it can or cannot be useful in certain occasions, but, in terms of it being "science-based", it's on the same level as bowen therapy or some other similar shit.

Not that "practice-based" or clinical evidence is worthless.

In my back? It feels like nerve pain... basically, my back went out on me a few days ago and so I went in for a chiro treatment. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have gotten an adjustment along with my treatment (i.e. violent, sudden twist) but I did. I think that twist basically aggravated a nerve.

That's not what they're selling. These are called neuro-grip push-ups because they're for use with Jon Bruney's Neuro-Mass workout system.

I really, really like some of the things Bruney did with his system, even though his book layed out his system in a poor way.

Not that "practice-based" or clinical evidence is worthless.
Yep. "Practice-based" can be useful for forming hypotheses. Beyond that it's pretty worthless.

Acupuncture, homeopathy, energy healing and astrology are all "practice-based".

Back