Netflix looking to buy movie theater chain.

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
Streaming service Netflix has been looking to buy its own series of movie theaters, according to The Los Angeles Times.

The newspaper, citing sources familiar with the matter, reported that the company attempted to reach a deal with L.A.-based Landmark theaters, but negotiations went south because Netflix believed the asking price was too high.

Why the streaming giant would need to buy theaters may have something to do with its strained relationship with the Cannes Film Festival.

Netflix, still looking to be seen as a legitimate filmmaking entity, pulled out of Cannes this year after the festival decided movies without theater distribution in France would not be allowed to compete for prizes. This continues a storied war between the streaming service and the French festival.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...of-movie-theaters_us_5adcc6d8e4b075b631e6c6e4

Not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Netflix can't make good movies, maybe they should focus on that. TV shows are decent but I can't name a single good film they've made.

I kinda hope this doesn't happen as it may force them to pick and choose which films to stream and which films to put in the theatre.

Netflix can't make good movies, maybe they should focus on that. TV shows are decent but I can't name a single good film they've made.

Their movies are shitty in general but Icarus did win an Oscar. And another things got nominations.

Netflix original films have been gaining critical acclaim in recent years. “Mudbound” received four 2018 Oscar nominations and “Icarus,” a film about the doping scandal surrounding Russian Olympic athletes, won this year’s Oscar for best documentary. Netflix productions have also won four Golden Globes and 37 Emmy Awards.

The Netflix original film “Okja” was featured at the Cannes Film Festival in 2017, but when the film was shown, the Netflix logo drew boos from the festival crowd.

elitism.

Streaming service Netflix has been looking to buy its own series of movie theaters, according to The Los Angeles Times.

The newspaper, citing sources familiar with the matter, reported that the company attempted to reach a deal with L.A.-based Landmark theaters, but negotiations went south because Netflix believed the asking price was too high.

Why the streaming giant would need to buy theaters may have something to do with its strained relationship with the Cannes Film Festival.

Netflix, still looking to be seen as a legitimate filmmaking entity, pulled out of Cannes this year after the festival decided movies without theater distribution in France would not be allowed to compete for prizes. This continues a storied war between the streaming service and the French festival.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...of-movie-theaters_us_5adcc6d8e4b075b631e6c6e4

Not sure if this is a good idea or not.

"The French are assholes" - Harry

Do people still go to movie theaters?

I love watching movies in the theatre. Nothing like it.

I used to like watching movies in a theater but they converted the big theaters to 3 smaller ones. People attending got worse every year. Once I had a video tape deck and could rent movies to watch at home. I didn't see any reason to put up with crying babies and people talking at a movie. The last time I was in a theater was 1985, before cellphones. I can only imagine what it's like now.

I used to like watching movies in a theater but they converted the big theaters to 3 smaller ones. People attending got worse every year. Once I had a video tape deck and could rent movies to watch at home. I didn't see any reason to put up with crying babies and people talking at a movie. The last time I was in a theater was 1985, before cellphones. I can only imagine what it's like now.

Get off sherdog you old piece of shit

Netflix looking to buy movie theater chain.

People still go to movie theaters? I watch everything from home these days. Remember the old saying for going on a date? "Dinner and a movie." Well, you can now watch the movie with your girl in the couch or in your bed. :)

Times have sure changed. @ralphc1 and I are part of the good old days. One screen theaters with a fucking 'huge' screen showing only one movie. That's how I watched 'Jaws' and 'Star Wars'. Multiple screen theaters with 'baby' screens are for the younger generation. You guys don't know what you have missed. Actually I loved watching movies at home as a kid on a 8mm projector. Very limited choice of movies, but boy was it fun setting up the screen and projector. Hearing the little motor play the movie. Having that beam of light over your head heading for the screen. Making figures with your hand when the projector was on and the screen was blank.

Technology has taken a lot of the fun out of life, specially as a kid. Computers, iPhones, etc. I think that is why kids are getting dumber. Now it is all about Facebook and texting. Texting has certainly killed thousands of Americans over the years while driving...and now it has been proven that vinyl records play music better than a CD.

Our one and only drive-in burned down a few years back. Folks got outraged. They raised the money in record time and a new one was built. They basically said: 'Fuck the little screens'. Not just the movie, but other activities in the back seat of the car.

Get off sherdog you old piece of shit.

...just talking about the young generation and how dumb they have become. Thanks for raising your hand. You are a 'young' piece of shit. So, you have many years ahead till you become an 'old' piece of shit. Life as a 'shit'. Just look at all that bullshit. Shit name, shit avatar, etc. Insecurity written all over. Real tough guy want to be. Waiting for your 'little bitch' come back reply. How old is your mommy Jr?

@ralphc1

...just talking about the young generation and how dumb they have become. Thanks for raising your hand. You are a 'young' piece of shit. So, you have many years ahead till you become an 'old' piece of shit. Life as a 'shit'. Just look at all that bullshit. Shit name, shit avatar, etc. Insecurity written all over. Real tough guy want to be. Waiting for your 'little bitch' come back reply. How old is your mommy Jr?

@ralphc1

Sorry that I insulted your boyfriend

Sorry that I insulted your boyfriend.

Ha, ha, I knew that was coming. Oh, c'mon, you can do better than that. Well, maybe not. You are too fucking young and stupid. How about I try your mommy first and than I try you?

Ha, ha, I knew that was coming. Oh, c'mon, you can do better than that. Well, maybe not. You are too fucking young and stupid. How about I try your mommy first and than I try you?

Go ahead

I have no idea who you even are

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back