Net Neutrality update: Washington State comes to the rescue locally.

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ality-challenged-by-new-washington-state-law/
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ality-challenged-by-new-washington-state-law/

The Washington state legislature has approved a net neutrality law that applies to all wired and wireless Internet providers in the state and prohibits blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization.

The bill comes in response to the Federal Communications Commission decision in December 2017 to scrap federal net neutrality rules. The state bill still needs the signature of Governor Jay Inslee, who previously pledged to enforce net neutrality "under our own authority and under our own laws," calling it "a free speech issue as well as a business development issue."

Washington is apparently the first state whose legislature has passed a law that imposes net neutrality rules on all ISPs. The governors of five states had already decided to impose net neutrality restrictions on ISPs that provide Internet service to state agencies.

The Washington bill was approved in the state House on February 9 by a vote of 93-5. The bill passed in the Senate yesterday by a vote of 35-14.

Inslee, a Democrat, celebrated the bill's passage with this tweet:

CenturyLink opposed the bill, saying that Internet service should be regulated by the federal government instead of "multiple state jurisdictions," according to The News Tribune. Of course, net neutrality was regulated by the federal government, but the FCC decided to repeal its rules at the urging of ISPs like CenturyLink.

The FCC's repeal is still contingent on US Office of Management and Budget [OMB] approval of modified information collection requirements, so the rules will stay on the books a while longer.

States vs. the FCC
Five states—Vermont, Hawaii, Montana, New Jersey, and New York—previously decided to enforce net neutrality via executive orders issued by their governors. But those executive orders apply only to ISPs that provide Internet service to state government agencies, relying on the states' power as buyers of Internet service rather than on a law imposed on all ISPs.

More than half of US states have pending net neutrality legislation.

"States must act to protect the Internet," Sen. Kevin Ranker, D-Orcas Island, said before the vote in the Washington Senate Tuesday, according to The News Tribune.

Washington is likely to face lawsuits filed by broadband providers, who will argue that the state law is preempted by the FCC repeal of net neutrality rules. The FCC itself said that states are preempted from passing net neutrality rules, but legal experts have mixed opinions on whether that preemption will hold up in court.

The Washington bill (full text) prohibits ISPs from blocking or throttling Internet content and applications except in cases of reasonable network management. The state law prohibits prioritization of third-party content in exchange for payment. Each ISP would also be prohibited from prioritizing Internet content offered by entities affiliated with the ISP.

ISPs will also be required to publicly disclose their network management practices. The rules would be enforced by the state attorney general under Washington's Consumer Protection Act.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live here, and I am rooting for other states to follow suit.

WAR progressive states!

Good move I hope more states do the same

Yeah. Meanwhile Trump is flip-flopping in the most nonsensical ways...to say the very least.

When in REALITY, there are countless things he could do which would actually help this country...and the world...if only he wasn't a wannabe neo-fascist malignantly narcissistic POTUS. I digress.

I support bottom up federalism so good for individual states running their own show -- but laugh out loud at any state without an income tax as progressive

I support bottom up federalism so good for individual states running their own show -- but laugh out loud at any state without an income tax as progressive

Yep, the most regressive state taxes in the nation.

Poor residents in Washington pay 16.8 percent of family income instate and local taxes while the wealthiest 1 percent pay only 2.4 percent.

Who do these stoners think they are, all usurping federal authority and shit.

No state income tax here, but the sales tax in my zip code is 10%, so the state gets their dime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back