Need advice on upper body control and manipulation

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So guys, something i'm feeling a little stumped on is how i quite exactly grapple with my opponent's arms and torso. The context I'm looking for advice in is stuff that would work in mma while standing. I'm looking specifically to apply this advice to osoto gari, kosoto gari, ouchi gari, and kouchi gari. I need to be able to control the upper body better while i use foot sweeps and reaps, basically. Videos and webpage links are cool.

Work on your pummel. I'm not familiar with the terminology of those trips and throws but I'm assuming because you used them you train judo.

You aren't going to have the same kind of control without the gi that you have with it. There aren't really no gi techniques that are going to allow you to maintain control of your opponents upperbody for extended periods of time while you set up your throw.

Instead you have to constantly fight for and re establish underhooks, head/neck control, and arm/wrist control.

Last, you mentioned all this in the context of MMA which means you will have to do this against some people that will be attempting lower body takedowns which means that you also need to become profiecent at these techniques.

In short you need to find a wrestling coach.

Work on your pummel. I'm not familiar with the terminology of those trips and throws but I'm assuming because you used them you train judo.

You aren't going to have the same kind of control without the gi that you have with it. There aren't really no gi techniques that are going to allow you to maintain control of your opponents upperbody for extended periods of time while you set up your throw.

Instead you have to constantly fight for and re establish underhooks, head/neck control, and arm/wrist control.

Last, you mentioned all this in the context of MMA which means you will have to do this against some people that will be attempting lower body takedowns which means that you also need to become profiecent at these techniques.

In short you need to find a wrestling coach.
I totally agree, I actually have a couple pals that are wrestlers and i always ask them about doubles and singles whenever we're hanging out but thats nothing compared to if i actually had did wrestling in high school. Thanks for bringing attention to underhooks and wrist controls and stuff. Those are the type pf things i'm looking for info on in this post. Do you got any little details or intracicies you know about the the different grips?

Arm drags, 2 on 1s and striking to get your grips. You could watch early Karo Parysian fights or Fedor fights.

The unbalancing is all the same you just need to have better timing and wrestle for under/ over hooks and not get knocked out on the way in.

I suck at wrestling and judo, but if I combine little bits of both with some striking I suddenly seem able to hit takedowns alot easier.
Chain them together and you will get them. Go for a trip, they defend and you go for a lower limb take down. They defend your shot, fight for your grips and go for the trip.

Long story short add wrestling and learn to do your throws with the grips that work for you.

Good question, one that isn't asked enough in BJJ schools. A few tips:

Practice, practice, practice. I like to often start classes with standing handfighting as a warm-up, since it's relatively easy on the body, allows you to move, and is clearly practical. You could do 5 minutes each day with a friend before or after class, focusing on implementing your classic wrestling grips and specific goals: inside ties, drags, establishing wrist control, tracing to the wrists from upper arm grips, moving their upper body with underhooks, direction of pressure, making them step where you want, etc. You will figure much of this out by spending time in the handfight, and bringing in someone with more wrestling experience is bound to show you shortcuts or options you didn't know.

Another good starting point would be to look at what works for you on the ground, particularly on bottom. If you can stay safe, pressure, or move your opponent when gravity and friction are working against you, the principles should be sound. The efficacy of those same principles should be amplified in the stand-up, where you have less working against you to create the movement and reactions you're trying to set up. On that same token, if you find new things working for you in the stand-up handfight, there's a good chance you could also implement them on the ground. Play around with it, have fun, and it should make a world of difference in a relatively short time.

Good question, one that isn't asked enough in BJJ schools. A few tips:

Practice, practice, practice. I like to often start classes with standing handfighting as a warm-up, since it's relatively easy on the body, allows you to move, and is clearly practical. You could do 5 minutes each day with a friend before or after class, focusing on implementing your classic wrestling grips and specific goals: inside ties, drags, establishing wrist control, tracing to the wrists from upper arm grips, moving their upper body with underhooks, direction of pressure, making them step where you want, etc. You will figure much of this out by spending time in the handfight, and bringing in someone with more wrestling experience is bound to show you shortcuts or options you didn't know.

Another good starting point would be to look at what works for you on the ground, particularly on bottom. If you can stay safe, pressure, or move your opponent when gravity and friction are working against you, the principles should be sound. The efficacy of those same principles should be amplified in the stand-up, where you have less working against you to create the movement and reactions you're trying to set up. On that same token, if you find new things working for you in the stand-up handfight, there's a good chance you could also implement them on the ground. Play around with it, have fun, and it should make a world of difference in a relatively short time.
I like your words man! Great ideas.
<seedat>

Pummel to head outside single, possibly transition to the double.

Not very much instructionals on this kind of thing. Find yourself a wrestling coach familiar with mma, or at the very least an mma coach who knows some wrestling.

And in case you were wondering why your question is so vague... it’s because you are basically asking us to summarize a whole martial art for you. MMA clinching is akin to asking someone to post some stuff from bjj or striking that “works”

Back