Need Advice: Amateur Training Regime

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I want to take an amateur MMA fight in a few months time from now. I am currently a blue belt in BJJ and train grappling 3 times a week for two hours each time. I do 4 strength sessions at the gym mixed with heavy bag work when I'm there. I do a 2 hour kickboxing session every Wednesday which I will probably get up to at least two sessions a week.

I have fought in a kickboxing match before and I have fought in multiple grappling tournaments. Does the 8 sessions a week that I am doing look like enough in order to compete in amateur MMA? If I do well and start considering pro fights I might be able to free up more time for training since I'd get paid to fight. I feel like those 8 sessions are pretty good considering I work a job like the rest of us :)

Any advice on it? Less or more?

Oss

No. You don't even have mma training in your schedule, and you're gonna be fighting mma.

This is coming from someone who started with a bjj and kickboxing background.

Bjj and kickboxing are both comparatively not nearly as dangerous imo. Should try to take it more serious if you wish to do well

No. You don't even have mma training in your schedule, and you're gonna be fighting mma.

This is coming from someone who started with a bjj and kickboxing background.

Bjj and kickboxing are both comparatively not nearly as dangerous imo. Should try to take it more serious if you wish to do well

This, plus your stand up is not going to be advanced enough with so little stand up training, you might get an opponent with good TDD and good stand up, it's going to be a long night having your face smashed with no chance of getting that guy to the ground.

If you don't have access to a MMA gym, increase the KB to 3 sessions a week and 3 for the grappling, decrease your strength regime to twice a week or not at all.

Forget strength and start running. 3 miles in around 20 minutes on heavy training days, sprint intervals for the easier days.

You need to wrestle and/or add mma to the mix. At the low levels of ammy fighting you can get away with being "survivor" level at grappling OR striking as long as the other arts can compensate but that won't fly for long as you fight tougher opponents

I want to take an amateur MMA fight in a few months time from now. I am currently a blue belt in BJJ and train grappling 3 times a week for two hours each time. I do 4 strength sessions at the gym mixed with heavy bag work when I'm there. I do a 2 hour kickboxing session every Wednesday which I will probably get up to at least two sessions a week.

I have fought in a kickboxing match before and I have fought in multiple grappling tournaments. Does the 8 sessions a week that I am doing look like enough in order to compete in amateur MMA? If I do well and start considering pro fights I might be able to free up more time for training since I'd get paid to fight. I feel like those 8 sessions are pretty good considering I work a job like the rest of us :)

Any advice on it? Less or more?

Oss

I would decrease the strenght training to 2 sessions per week, 2 main lifts and one complementary plus a flexibility routine at the end.

I would add a day of cardio a week that vary every week, like treatmill or swim, sets of 4 min max at the max intensity you can go to end the 4 minutes. The number of sets, one that when you exit the gym, you are refreshed and not very tired.

I would decrease to 2 the grappling days (no-gi grappling) and add a day of clinch, that includes throws and clinch striking.

I would do two days of stand up, not kickboxing tho, but mma stand up; one of the day dedicated to technique and counter attacks and the other day to sparring.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll take it all into account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back