1h30 mma class

day B

warm-up: shadowboxing
30-min heavy bag work
solo bjj drills
double end bag/throw bag

Oh, and I spar 1x a week

please note: I am a 18 year old beginner

I will be alternating between these two workouts, 5 times week.

What should I add? What should I get rid of? I would appreciate some feedback.

Last edited:
Identify your goals and add/subtract activities in accordance with your priorities.

If you can, stick to doing most of your martial arts training in the classes. That way your instructor can keep an eye on you and make sure you're not developing any bad habits.

Since you're a beginner, it would be a good idea to focus on developing your strength. Stick to calisthenic exercises and drop the plyometrics. Incorporate squats and deadlifts in your strength work if you have access to weights.

I would do this

Day 1 - MMA

Day 2 - Squat; Calisthenics strength work (work on variations where you can pull off 5 reps for 4 sets with strict form)

Day 3 - MMA

Day 4 - 45 - 60 min light jog

Day 5 - MMA

Day 6 - Deadlift; Calisthenics strength work (work on variations where you can pull off 5 reps for 4 sets with strict form)

Day 7 - Off or 45 - 60 min light jog

Give this a try for 8 - 12 weeks.

If you can, stick to doing most of your martial arts training in the classes. That way your instructor can keep an eye on you and make sure you're not developing any bad habits.

Since you're a beginner, it would be a good idea to focus on developing your strength. Stick to calisthenic exercises and drop the plyometrics. Incorporate squats and deadlifts in your strength work if you have access to weights.

I would do this

Day 1 - MMA

Day 2 - Squat; Calisthenics strength work (work on variations where you can pull off 5 reps for 4 sets with strict form)

Day 3 - MMA

Day 4 - 45 - 60 min light jog

Day 5 - MMA

Day 6 - Deadlift; Calisthenics strength work (work on variations where you can pull off 5 reps for 4 sets with strict form)

Day 7 - Off or 45 - 60 min light jog

Give this a try for 8 - 12 weeks.

Thank you for the reply. My strength isn't that bad, as I deadlift 2x my bodyweight. However, I am taking a break from weightlifting as I'm trying to fix my anterior pelvic tilt.

So assuming my strength is ok, are plyos good, you think?

Thank you for the reply. My strength isn't that bad, as I deadlift 2x my bodyweight. However, I am taking a break from weightlifting as I'm trying to fix my anterior pelvic tilt.

So assuming my strength is ok, are plyos good, you think?

Oh definitely! Then you can shift focus to power development movements, plyos etc.

Why exactly are you looking to develop power though? Are you looking to fight? I read in the other thread that your looking to get strong and gain aesthetics. Power development IMHO might be a waste of your time if fighting isnt your goal. You'd be better off focusing on other aspects of your physique.

Oh definitely! Then you can shift focus to power development movements, plyos etc.

Why exactly are you looking to develop power though? Are you looking to fight? I read in the other thread that your looking to get strong and gain aesthetics. Power development IMHO might be a waste of your time if fighting isnt your goal. You'd be better off focusing on other aspects of your physique.

I want to develop my punching and kicking power, however I still want to develop my body and put on some muscle. Keeping that in mind, would you add something to the workout if you were me? (assuming you're taking a break from lifts that put pressure on the lower back).

Do you want to compete in MMA?

Do you have a martial arts background?

Do you want to compete in MMA?

Do you have a martial arts background?
I don't have any martial arts background and I am not looking to compete, however I want to become a better fighter.

Dude, why not post in one of the other threads you've started about some of the same stuff?

I don't have any martial arts background and I am not looking to compete, however I want to become a better fighter.
If you have no plans to compete, then just do what makes you happy.

I want to develop my punching and kicking power, however I still want to develop my body and put on some muscle. Keeping that in mind, would you add something to the workout if you were me? (assuming you're taking a break from lifts that put pressure on the lower back).

If you want to put on muscle then focus on putting on muscle. If you want to build power, focus on that. By adding exercises and trying to work on both, you'll end up with sub optimal gains in both areas.

Since you're new to martial arts, pls understand that you will develop stronger punches and kicks simply by punching and kicking more and improving your form.

How is the mma classes taught? What is the instruction approach like? How are your training partners, time with them before/after class?

Back