Neck Conditioning

FléauDeDieu

Le Parrain
@Blue
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should go in standup and S&C but I thought it would make more sense here.
Does anyone have any resources for neck conditioning? I had a concussion several months back while sparring at an MMA gym, and now I'm worried if I might become more susceptible to being concussed or knocked out in the future.
I do have a neck harness but I've outgrown it since buying it as a teenager, does anyone have else?
I've tried using the routine found here 3 times a week

I train my neck at least 3 times a week using a variety of exercises: I have a neck harness, I do front and back wrestler's bridges and I also do exercises on the bench similar to what Gabriel shows in the video you posted. I add weights to those bench exercises though, so will have a plate on my forehead (or back of me head if facing down) and do neck curl type movements. I do find the neck responds fairly quickly to being trained.

James Kelly also has some decent neck training videos on YouTube if you do a search for them.

I train my neck at least 3 times a week using a variety of exercises: I have a neck harness, I do front and back wrestler's bridges and I also do exercises on the bench similar to what Gabriel shows in the video you posted. I add weights to those bench exercises though, so will have a plate on my forehead (or back of me head if facing down) and do neck curl type movements. I do find the neck responds fairly quickly to being trained.

James Kelly also has some decent neck training videos on YouTube if you do a search for them.
So you just put the plate on your face and start doing those exercises in the video?
I did that for maybe 10-ish reps with a 5lb plate and felt a bit dizzy and lightheaded afterwards. Maybe my head just isn't used to it though.

You can order a neck belt of amazon and attach a plate to it for excercise. I got it but didn't use it yet

Has it made a difference?

So you just put the plate on your face and start doing those exercises in the video?
I did that for maybe 10-ish reps with a 5lb plate and felt a bit dizzy and lightheaded afterwards. Maybe my head just isn't used to it though.
Plate on forehead if laying on my back and do controlled nods, chin into chest, back and forth. Plate on back of my head if laying on my belly. Hopefully I'm explaining it OK.

Neck bridges and neck harness

I could do neck bridges with 30 pound plate on when i competed in mma

Yes in my opinion it added resistance to chokes, i was told im extremely hard to choke(not that it mattered since i sucked anyway but atleast i didnt lose via chokes)

Dont get me wrong if you are in bad spot you will get choked but if you can still fight it, neck training will help

If no other reason should be done for injury prevention

I'd have to go with resistance bands. You can make a rig and attach them to your wall. They usually all come with an attachment for doors too. Got mine off Amazon.

Back