NCAA Wrestling

Last HS guy that I can think of to enter a College Open was Jason Welch in 07 at Midlands. Lost to Poeta in the semis i think?

I remember Mocco beating a returning NCAA AA handily at a college Open going into his senior year.

I remember Brent Metcalf easily winning the Kent State Open when I think he was a Junior in High School. Dave Schultz Pinned Chuck Ygala, who was a two time NCAA Champion at the time, at the Great Plains Open. Schultz was a junior in High School.

I remember Brent Metcalf easily winning the Kent State Open when I think he was a Junior in High School. Dave Schultz Pinned Chuck Ygala, who was a two time NCAA Champion at the time, at the Great Plains Open. Schultz was a junior in High School.
Brent won it as a senior 10-8 in SV over Hurley of Cleveland State who was an NCAA qualifier that year. I’m trying to find the brackets because I believe Jon Reader wrestled at that same open and placed like 3rd as a junior.

I remember Harry Lester winning a College Open as a Senior. I think he enrolled at ISU but never wrestled an official college match going the Greco route instead.

When people complain about returning meadlists getting a bye to the Best of 3 I'm reminded of the 2008 Trials. Lester won back to back Bronze meals in 2006-2007 and gets upset by Deitchler to make the Olympic team....

Brent won it as a senior 10-8 in SV over Hurley of Cleveland State who was an NCAA qualifier that year. I’m trying to find the brackets because I believe Jon Reader wrestled at that same open and placed like 3rd as a junior.

Truthfully, I'd expect someone as college-ready as Metcalf was to win more convincingly over a non-AA qualifier. Metcalf was basically the Fix/Lee/Gable of his time and I think all 3 of them would have AA'd pretty easily last year, even Gable as a junior in HS.

Are there any Russians competing at the Schultz tournament?

Are there any Russians competing at the Schultz tournament?

Copied from Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin on themat.com

70: Rasuz Dzhukaev (Silver World 2009)

74: Nikita Suchkov (Russian nat's runner up)

86: Arsen-Ali Musalaliev (Junior World champ, Russian nat's 3rd)

125: Adlan Ibragimov (def. Gwiz in Yarygin, Russian Nat's 3rd)

Copied from Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin on themat.com

70: Rasuz Dzhukaev (Silver World 2009)

74: Nikita Suchkov (Russian nat's runner up)

86: Arsen-Ali Musalaliev (Junior World champ, Russian nat's 3rd)

125: Adlan Ibragimov (def. Gwiz in Yarygin, Russian Nat's 3rd)
Ah, thanks. I have heard of Suchkov, but not of the other three. There have been big greco scores, so I think I will check the greco out.

I remember Harry Lester winning a College Open as a Senior. I think he enrolled at ISU but never wrestled an official college match going the Greco route instead.

When people complain about returning meadlists getting a bye to the Best of 3 I'm reminded of the 2008 Trials. Lester won back to back Bronze meals in 2006-2007 and gets upset by Deitchler to make the Olympic team....
I think of McCoy and Stephen Neal more.

I think of McCoy and Stephen Neal more.

Ehhh....McCoy did have a World Silver in 2003, took 5th in the 2000 Olympics, 4th in 2001 (good for Bronze today), and beat multiple World medalists and another World Champ besides Neal.

Neal Might have medaled in 2000 but I don't think there was a huge drop off between the 2.

Ehhh....McCoy did have a World Silver in 2003, took 5th in the 2000 Olympics, 4th in 2001 (good for Bronze today), and beat multiple World medalists and another World Champ besides Neal.

Neal Might have medaled in 2000 but I don't think there was a huge drop off between the 2.

McCoy was also 4th in 98, the year before Neal won gold. Basically those two were a coin flip.

I agree with your Lester comment. Dietchler was a clear fluke out of knowhere. Granted had concussions not ended his career, hindsight might not say it was a fluke but we’ll never know.

I heard about that lol, he is a beast. It is nice to see him back. I think he should have been at the olympics over Boltukaev. How did he do?

In the semis, should be up soon.

Gads has obviously had the better career but Bolt seemed other world leading up to 16. He manhandled Gatsolov, Snyder and Varner that year.

Not sure if he was juicing or what. Did Gads even compete at Nationals in 16? If so who beat him?

In the semis, should be up soon.

Gads has obviously had the better career but Bolt seemed other world leading up to 16. He manhandled Gatsolov, Snyder and Varner that year.

Not sure if he was juicing or what. Did Gads even compete at Nationals in 16? If so who beat him?
Boltukaev has definitely 100% juiced, lol.

Gadisov did compete in the Russian Nationals in 2016, but I can't seem to find how he got on. He must have been really off, for he didn't get a bronze at worst. Even Baystev is a strong wrestler, probably unlikely to get popular as Abdulrashid will probably beat him again. Maybe he will be at the european championships in 2018.

Gable just won Daktronics open at HWY. TF>F>F>14-7. This dude is going to be really special.

Back