Name a fighter that self sabbataged their own fighting career

Diego Sanchez: I feel he was destined for greatness. He was a monster on the ground since TUF 1. With his superb conditioning and ground and pound grappling base he destroyed everybody including having some semi-competitive fights with the likes of Nick Diaz in which he won. He actually WAS the "NIGHTMARE" on the ground.

HIS LOSSES, started to rack up when he decided to become a striker. He started to strike a lot more abandoning the style he was great at that got him where he was in his career. He KO's a few mediocre fighters and his confidence naturally grew. BUT Diego killed his career once he started to get out struck by better strikers. Started getting rocked, and eventually able to finish.

He has never returned to his dominate ground and pound which was a mistake.

Can you name another fighter that killed his career by trying to be something he wasnt?
Chris Wideman

This might be a little different, but I feel like Weidman has become very unpopular because of all the excuses after Mousasi and the entitlement after beating Gastelum. I remember people downplaying his wins against Silva, but very few people seemed to hate on him back then. :)
I was slow to get on the hate train but it was all aboard after the Gastelum post fight interview and his twitter war with Bisping. It seems like he's turned into Luke Rockhold all of a sudden. And that crap about being the true champion after one win, after being stopped three straight times....

Drew Fickett had a decent career back in the day but when he lost focus and stopped training seriously it all went downhill very quickly. It seemed like he got his shit together in 2010 but it was only temporary and the descent continued shortly afterwards.

Going to go a bit off the cuff to change things up and say Frank Mir.

Though it wasn't his fault, I would have loved to see 2004-ish Mir if he never destroyed his leg/knee wrecking his motorcycle. I think he could have had a decent run with the title. He just never looked the same when he came back.

I'd argue against Bones. Like someone said, he has A LOT of time left to redeem himself and if anything, he's keeping the miles off himself a bit.

BJ because if he cared about his training, he could have done so much more in an already great career.

Ronda because she drinks Edmond's Kool-Aid and let woman's MMA pass her by in a HURRY. If only Ronda knew her hands weren't as good as Edmond said and went to a REAL camp....

Kerr-flexing.gif

Toxic relationship and substance (pain killers, etc) abuse

Going to go a bit off the cuff to change things up and say Frank Mir.

Though it wasn't his fault, I would have loved to see 2004-ish Mir if he never destroyed his leg/knee wrecking his motorcycle. I think he could have had a decent run with the title. He just never looked the same when he came back.

I'd argue against Bones. Like someone said, he has A LOT of time left to redeem himself and if anything, he's keeping the miles off himself a bit.

BJ because if he cared about his training, he could have done so much more in an already great career.

Ronda because she drinks Edmond's Kool-Aid and let woman's MMA pass her by in a HURRY. If only Ronda knew her hands weren't as good as Edmond said and went to a REAL camp....
Ronda should run out of money if she lives a lavishing life style. Her movie roles went out the window. She may come back for a pay day someday if she can get over the embarrassing losses. After all she was made to believe she was unbeatable. Then she got beat 2 times in a row so she has to be questioning if she was even ever that good

K1 Maia for a while by thinking he should be a standup fighter.

Hendricks and Gastelum b/c they can't stop eating crap.

BJ, for everything he did accomplish, was pretty lazy and left greatness on the table IMO.

Chuck Liddell should also be added. He got too into partying/drugs/booze etc. Chuck had the tools to beat Rampage in their rematch the Chuck that fought Rich Franklin with the takedowns, leg kicks, body kicks, and elbows was very well rounded. Early chuck liddell also made use of his kicks. I think Chuck could of had a few more productive years and I also wonder if the partying possibly affects your chin? Idk

1) Karo Parysian and all his crazy shit before he left the UFC
2) Hendricks and his weight problems
3) Nate Diaz holding out from fighting after he got the biggest boost in his career popularity / money wise.

Too early to tell for Nate Diaz.

"Name a fighter that..."

TS seems to have self-sabotaged his English major.

Chuck Liddell should also be added.

I debated adding Chuck or not.

I DO think he could have squeaked out a few more wins (like against Rampage like you mentioned....I wasn't impressed with Page at all) and went out with a bit more of a bang but I think Father Time caught up to him as MMA passed him by. I think he was just a bit too old to adapt to the more well-rounded fighters.

Call it a combo or partying, aging, and the sport passing him by.

Evan Tanner ... when he began boozin and loosin. He was fucking awesome.
He lost to Kendal grove for fucks sake... quite the drop off from being UFC middleweight champ.
Rip

Josh Koscheck. GSP stuffed his TDs so Josh decided to be a striker, even though he could take down 95% WWs not named GSP.

Vera for sheer wasted potential

Diego for going crazy as hell and avoiding the best gyms after leaving NM

BJ for not giving a shit

Rampage for not training

GSP didn't hurt his career, but may very well have hurt his legacy playing so much defense post Serra

Wand with too much exposure in UFC after Pride. He was the axe murderer in the ring but had a rep as a gentleman and fan favorite outside. Even Rogan referred to him as a classy gentleman. Now, well, not so much

Josh Koscheck. GSP stuffed his TDs so Josh decided to be a striker, even though he could take down 95% WWs not named GSP.

Vera for sheer wasted potential

Diego for going crazy as hell and avoiding the best gyms after leaving NM

BJ for not giving a shit

Rampage for not training

GSP didn't hurt his career, but may very well have hurt his legacy playing so much defense post Serra

Wand with too much exposure in UFC after Pride. He was the axe murderer in the ring but had a rep as a gentleman and fan favorite outside. Even Rogan referred to him as a classy gentleman. Now, well, not so much
Koscheck really killed his career, his a better wrestler then GSP he was able to take GSP down in their first fight but second fight he think his a striker didn't go for take downs at all gets his eye fucked up and he never recoverd from that.

Ill go with Maiquel Falcão - 7 years ago I watched him fight in the UFC and win his first fight. I remember thinking this guy looked great that night and I was excited to see him fight again but he kept getting in trouble so the UFC cut him.

Maybe he was never going to be a world beater but it beats fighting for some of the companies he is fighting for now.

has anyone missed as many fights as jon jones, simply by being a dysfunctional manchild?

Karo & Mayhem

Fight for the zanax belt

GOATS of crazy

Karo Parisyan by a long shot. He could have been an all time great.

Mark Kerr. Pills lead to his huge downfall.
He couldn't function without them. He had a very low pain tolerance for being such a big guy and a fighter. I'm sure he doesn't miss getting punched on and kneed in the head.

Back