N.W.A |Straight Outta Compton| vs. Dr. Dre |The Chronic| - Which is the better album?

Which is the better album?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not making that call!

200w.gif

I love Straight Outta Compton, one of my all time favorites, it blew my young mind when I first heard it in junior high school, but The Chronic is a perfect album, a musical masterpiece, maybe the best gangsta rap album of all time, no way i can vote against it

Straight outta Compton I think got a lot of credit for being different, but the problem with things that push the envelope is that when you hear it decades later, it's not pushing any envelopes anymore so it has to stand purely on quality. On that front, it falls pretty far below the chronic.

The Chronic for sure. It is probably an album that perfectly encapsulates early 1990's gangster life/vibe in Socal.

Both are fantastic with very different styles but Straight Outta Compton.

The energy of that album was so fucking awesome at the time and nothing's really changed. There are times when I'd prefer to listen to The Chronic but overall there's no way I'd choose it over Straight Outta Compton.

I'm listening to both because of this thread. Got through straight outta Compton, skipping the songs I don't like, and it was a good time.

But now I'm only on the 3rd song on the chronic and it's already better. Haven't even gotten to "nuthin but a G thang" yet.

That's about as close as you can get to a draw when comparing two albums. Staright outta Compton hits harder, but the Chronic grooves and flows a little better imo. My vote went to NWA, but ask me tomorrow and my opinion could change.

I don't know, but they're WAY better than whatever garbage Kendrick Lamar or Drake are releasing these days.

The Chronic. I feel Straight Outta Compton has a couple tracks that don't hold up. Something to Dance to and Comptons in the House are thematically out of place. And Quiet On the Set isn't a bad song at all but I wouldn't put it on the level of anything on The Chronic. Also I prefer G Funk to the east coast influenced beats on the first NWA album.

Back