My scoliosis doesn't allow my left erectors grow...

TheAugustKid

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
And it sucks because it causes my deadlift to lag behind my other lifts. My spine curves at about a 30 or so degree angle to the right. The right side of my back (the side my spine is pushing into) is much larger and more developed than my left side, which is the side that caves in. It sucks because it makes stabilizing on the deadlift much harder and makes my lower back weaker. Otherwise at this point I think I should have already reached a 400 lbs + deadlift.

Am I just doomed to not ever be able to use my left erectors? Was this the case for Lamar Gant as well? Or is there just a less conventional way to be able to work it?

keep working at it but take it slow and don't push yourself, eventually you can correct most of the imbalance from what I've seen. I have two friends with scoliosis and cp and this is what the dr told them.....of course above all else, consult your physician as well.

would it make sense to work on your weak side rather than a deadlift exercise?

I have a mild form of scoliosis and my left side is also generally weaker, including left lower back muscles. I have managed a pretty good deadlift of 700+/220 so dont give up. Try varying your stance in terms of width between feet as well as various degrees of stagger. You may also want to do some volume with assistance exercises like hyperextensions/GMs/etc to help strengthen your lower back in isolation. You may be able to adjust to your condition and succeed in spite of it. I imagine you spoke with your doctor about your condition and the effects of heavy lifting? If not do so. Health is first and foremost.

Devilson - do you think that using proper form of deadlifts has improved your back condition?

Definitely. My form hasnt always been that great and still has long ways to go but even with less than perfect form, you can still become much stronger. Just stay within your abilities as much as possible, focus on good form each rep, stay focused throughout, even on lighter warm up sets.

Just my own links for my research to fix my own scoliosis (not as severe as yourself): (edit, links all screwy, edit, still screwy..fucking hell)

Hope it helps (general direction):
Fix Scoliosis - Non Surgical Scoliosis Treatment at FixScoliosis.com
Esther Gokhale Wellness Center |
Native Wisdom for Modern Spines — Guide for Self-Healing - Karen Robinson DynNC
Scoliosis fix (back problem) - The Tao Bums

Also, google PDF links (MUCH MORE HELPFUL):

Treatment of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis With
Quantified Trunk Rotational Strength Training
type:.pdf Treatment of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis WithQuantified Trunk Rotational Strength Training - Google Search

The role of measured resistance exercises in adolescent scoliosis (helpful exercises for rotational fixes)
type:.pdf The role of measured resistance exercises in adolescent scoliosis (helpful exercises for rotational fixes) - Google Search

PHYSICAL THERAPY OPTIONS FOR SCOLIOSIS
type:.pdf Body height correction in scoliosis patients forpulmonary function test - Google Search
Quote:

The Schroth exercises are a perfect complement to the current standard of care for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in the USA. The exercises can be used to support unbraced patients in their corrected posture and as an adjunct therapy for braced patients, allowing for further de-torsion of their spine and preparing
them for life after the brace. The exercises continue as an adult, because the uneven forces from the scolisis still cause torsion in the spine. Unchecked, these forces increase with certain activities we perform every day. Torsion and the effects of gravity increase the asymmetry and soft tissue imbalance causing a vicious cycle of deformity, uneven mechanical forces, more deformity with imbalance and possibly pain. The Schroth method gives us the tools to break this vicious cycle.

Dr. Rigo has been tireless in his mission to teach the Schroth method worldwide . He has made three trips to the US in the past 1

Last edited:
@redjako

As someone with scoliosis myself, I'm pretty sure it's established that the curvature and rotation of the spine cannot be fixed/reduced except through surgery (unless you're still growing). Obviously, a strong core is the best way to prevent further curvature/rotation and to alleviate pains etc.

Personally I'm always scared when lifting stuff. :icon_cry2

what is that stretch called where you are raising one hand straight and you are lifting opposite leg .. like dog -flies?

what is that stretch called where you are raising one hand straight and you are lifting opposite leg .. like dog -flies?

It’s not a stretch. It’s to strengthen the core or back muscles. You’re on all fours. You lift and straighten your right arm parallel to your torso. That’s stage 1 if you have a bad lower back or other issues. The next stage is to lift on arm straight ahead while the opposite leg straightens straight back just like the opposite arm. Look up bird dog exercise. It’s very common and used for physical therapy. It’s important that you don’t try to do too many reps. There’s a long history that the core muscles in general are stabilizers and are high endurance muscles and shouldn’t be trained like a bodybuilding approach which is to increase the load and do hyperextension exercises and such.

It doesn’t mean I agree with this though it’s a prevalent one. It also depends on how a physical or physio therapist is trained or which school of thought they integrate or adopt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back