My punches suck

I've done Thai as part of my MMA training and I've done Kickboxing, but I've never done or rated any type of Karate. I've seen Kyokushin, and don't see any similarities other than you kick and punch your opponent.

I don't rate Karate at all. I think that any martial art where you stand in front of your instructor throwing single punches and shouting is pants.. Don't get me wrong, its awesome for the individual who wants to get fit and be active, or for a child, but as a fighting sport there are better choices. This is just my opinion.

We have two karate black belts in my work, they're both fat (not that that's a problem, but for someone trying to convince me that Karate is good and they're the guys representing it I just think that they're full of shit) and seem very narrow minded when it comes to fighting sports. One of them argued that some grand master karate guy could beat a top UFC heavyweight in a no holds barred fight... he seemed completely deluded to me.

Unless there's something I don't know, but having a 'martial arts' background with Kickboxing for almost 10 years and MMA for 5 I just don't see how Karate is even comparable to an actual full contact real fighting sport like Muay Thai.

You clearly do not know Kyokushin Karate.

Kyokushin does have its holes, but it is legit.

I've done Thai as part of my MMA training and I've done Kickboxing, but I've never done or rated any type of Karate. I've seen Kyokushin, and don't see any similarities other than you kick and punch your opponent.

I don't rate Karate at all. I think that any martial art where you stand in front of your instructor throwing single punches and shouting is pants.. Don't get me wrong, its awesome for the individual who wants to get fit and be active, or for a child, but as a fighting sport there are better choices. This is just my opinion.

We have two karate black belts in my work, they're both fat (not that that's a problem, but for someone trying to convince me that Karate is good and they're the guys representing it I just think that they're full of shit) and seem very narrow minded when it comes to fighting sports. One of them argued that some grand master karate guy could beat a top UFC heavyweight in a no holds barred fight... he seemed completely deluded to me.

Unless there's something I don't know, but having a 'martial arts' background with Kickboxing for almost 10 years and MMA for 5 I just don't see how Karate is even comparable to an actual full contact real fighting sport like Muay Thai.
I'll agree with most of this. I think the main problem with Karate is the way it is trained, not necessarily with the techniques. If more time was spent impact training on pads, hard sparring rather than point sparring, and on conditioning / toughness, you'd have a lot less fat black belts, or 7 year old black belts, which I think is a joke. From what I understand, that is more like how they train in Kyokushin, which has produced some quality fighters over the years, including one of my favourites Andy Hug.
My son wants to do Karate, because it is what the other kids at school do, and I won't let him, because because I know most of the clubs will be shit (and this is coming from a blackbelt!). So he does Judo, where they have sparred / randori from day 1, getting used to contact, rough and tumble and resisting opponents. Of course, Judo is not a complete art, but couple it with boxing or Thai boxing and you won't have too many problems, from a self defence perspective. Competing in MMA obviously requires far more in the way of skillsets, but for keeping yourself safe on the streets or in a school playground scuffle, Judo + boxing / thai should be sufficient, in my opinion.

Back to the original point though, Kyokushin, or one of it's offshoots would be one of the better choices in Karate, providing you can find a decent club, it's full contact, hard conditioning, techniques are battle tested in full contact competition, and if one was to switch from Kyokushin to Thai, I'd reckon they would have an easier time of the transition than say, someone from a Shotokan, Wado or McDojo background.

Fair enough.

@Sano you can stick epic battle music over anything and make it seem more dramatic. It just looks like glorified point fighting to me.

Fair enough.

@Sano you can stick epic battle music over anything and make it seem more dramatic. It just looks like glorified point fighting to me.
It's full contact no gloves, but punches to the head are not allowed in competition.

Did you watch the videos? How is people getting KO'd by knees and highkicks, not to mention several Kyokushin fighters fighting in K-1, glorified point sparring?

EDIT: If you want something straight to the point:

It's a brutal sport.

I'm not even a karateka, but I have respect for Kyokushin.

Last edited:
Did you watch the videos? How is people getting KO'd by knees and highkicks, not to mention several Kyokushin fighters fighting in K-1, glorified point sparring?

LOl. technically it is point karate. Its just that the points are scored by knocking the opponents down and/or out.

as for op.
punching trees are stupid -not only will you not get harder punches (on the contrary, you will learn to hold back your punches), you will also most likely injure your hands. Find some place with a bag,

or find a friend willing to hold a body shield.

(this is pressure endurance training.)

(This is more regular punching trainng.)

I especially like the big shield as it allows you to do basically any technique without waiting for the pad holder to change angle of the pads. Very good when doing long continuous combinations switching between straight & hook punches, and kicks to all heights.

If you cannot find either get a few rubber band and attatch them to a wall or something, then train punches with them attached to your hands. Its a good exercise that will get you started.

But hey, you have trained kyokushin for two months (according to your other thread). allow yourself a few days more before growing impatient with lack of progress.

Last edited:
And before anyone comment on the lack of precision in the above drills, there are plenty of drills for more technical training.

another training method is to get a training partner wearing coach body pads, who can "remind" you to keep the guard up and similar.

The important thing is that to learn to hit hard you have to hit with resistance, but not a wall or something like that, that will not give (then the thing that will give is your hands). You can learn the technique form hitting air, but to get power into the form you have to actually punch something.
And do knuckle pushups to strengthen the wrists. Lots and lots of pushups.

this thread is a little out of place in the strength and conditioning subforum

Last edited:
And before anyone comment on the lack of precision in the above drills, there are plenty of drills for more technical training.

another training method is to get a training partner wearing coach body pads, who can "remind" you to keep the guard up and similar.

The important thing is that to learn to hit hard you have to hit with resistance, but not a wall or something like that, that will not give (then the thing that will give is your hands). You can learn the technique form hitting air, but to get power into the form you have to actually punch something.

Yeah i made this thread just out of frustration and i wasn't thinking right, but i made my final decision. I finally had a talk with my sensei about being afraid to being hit and he was glad that i felt fear and now i know what i want out of my training. I'm dropping TKD and training full time since i have a big tournament coming up in April.

Does being lean help in a fight or size ? I'm 5'11 157lbs 11% body fat, i'm not sure but it might be open weight class.

It's full contact no gloves, but punches to the head are not allowed in competition.

EDIT: If you want something straight to the point:

It's a brutal sport.

I'm not even a karateka, but I have respect for Kyokushin.

Haters gonna hate man

Thank you for the training videos, i will look into them.

Back