My landlord is trying to get me to leave early

Kassitus

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey sherbros. So under local law the landlord has to give you two full months notice if they want to end the tenancy. My landlord notified me that he will end the tenancy but the date he gave me is only 7 weeks away. On the one hand I kind of want to make him give me the extra week while I am scrambling to get my sh*t together and find a new place. On the other hand he seems to be in a bad mood lately and I'm not sure I want to make a big deal out of it and risk him getting pissed and not wanting to recommend me to a new landlord. We have always been respectful to each other, but I don't think he considers me his friend or anything.

Anyways, do you guys have any similar stories and if so have they imparted any useful wisdom to you?

You need a referral from this landlord to get a new place? I've never heard of that before. You should hold him to the letter of the law if you need the extra week.

Holy shit, a 2013 whitebelt with 134 posts! This is important!

Fill the lease with uppercuts.

Talk to a lawyer. I am sure he cannot break the lease like that. Actually does your municipality have legal aide at their court house? Talk to them.

I am sure the law is two month notice they dont want to renew, but I doubt they can just end your contract unless extenuating circumstances.

Get him to agree in writing to give you your full deposit back and pro rate the week of rent. Either he needs to sell the apartment, is going to get more in rent, needs it for personal reasons, or you have caused issues as a tenant. If your in good standing, and pay your rent on time and are within your lease, then make him agree to give you something.

Just try and be out in the 7 weeks if it takes an extra week then he will have to deal with it

Hey sherbros. So under local law the landlord has to give you two full months notice if they want to end the tenancy. My landlord notified me that he will end the tenancy but the date he gave me is only 7 weeks away. On the one hand I kind of want to make him give me the extra week while I am scrambling to get my sh*t together and find a new place. On the other hand he seems to be in a bad mood lately and I'm not sure I want to make a big deal out of it and risk him getting pissed and not wanting to recommend me to a new landlord. We have always been respectful to each other, but I don't think he considers me his friend or anything.

Anyways, do you guys have any similar stories and if so have they imparted any useful wisdom to you?
Where do you live?

Tell him your att and the HA will break a foot off in his ass if he keeps bothering you.

If it's not a big inconvenience to you to move out by then, just work with him.

Get him to agree in writing to give you your full deposit back and pro rate the week of rent. Either he needs to sell the apartment, is going to get more in rent, needs it for personal reasons, or you have caused issues as a tenant. If your in good standing, and pay your rent on time and are within your lease, then make him agree to give you something.
d95.gif

Not sure how friendly you are with him but maybe ask him politely to change it to 8 weeks? My landlords have always been very chill.

Where I live you cant be evicted with just a letter from the landlord. They have to go to the board, which will then hold a hearing, both of you will plead your cases and then the board will make a decision.

A simple letter from the landlord is meaningless.

If you need extra time, take extra time. If he wont give you a recccomendation oh well. Egg his house 2months after you move out. Do whats best for you, fuck his feelings.

Tell him you need the extra week. If he says no say ill see you in court.

It usually takes 3 months to evict a tenant here and that's if they have a reason like not paying rent. That requires a notice from the county sheriff to start the process.

Back