My Interview with Lucien Carbin (Technique Breakdown/Andy Ristie feud/Teaching Fedor)

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys. You'll notice that I have a Sarkeesian-esque ability to not put out promised content. So my handy dandy guide for the clinch isn't out.

The good news is that I'm now going to be writing for Muay Thai Guy. I'm going to post my work there and then copy half of it for you to read here, and half for you to read on the website... yeah that's right. I'm ripping off Discipulus.

The link is here: http://www.muay-thai-guy.com/lucien-carbin.html

Because it's my first work they haven't got my name and bio yet - so at the moment it looks like I'm stealing the work of the editor but I promise I conducted the interview over facebook. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Legendary Dutch Trainer Talks Technique & Fight Life
lucien-carbin.jpg

Courtesy of Lucien Carbin. facebook.com/lucien.carbin

A champion in karate, savate and Muay Thai, and a pioneer of the Dutch style of kickboxing that dominated the kickboxing competitive circuit for many years. His style is incredibly unique to him and his students.

Despite a start in kickboxing more than 40 years ago, Lucien Carbin remains one of the finest coaches in kickboxing today. He is the man behind phenomenal fighters such as Ilonka Elmont, Andy Ristie, Tyrone Spong, Alistair Overeem, Gilbert Yvel and Rob Kaman.

Today we talk with the cerebral kickboxing coach and talk about how he developed his style, blending karate and Muay Thai; his falling out with Andy Ristie; and how he trained Fedor Emelianenko to defeat Mirko Cro Cop.

On His Style
MTG: You initially started out in Kyokushin karate and kickboxing with Jan Plas (at Mejiro Gym). Do you feel that karate has been as big an influence on your style as it has other Dutch kickboxers?

CARBIN: Yes, I think it has. Although I didn’t start out with Jan Plas, he and I were both students of Jon Bluming (the founder of Kyokushin in Holland). I think that Kyokushin is a very good foundation for Thai boxing.

MTG: How did you become involved in Thai boxing, and how did you mix the karate style with Thai boxing?

CARBIN: When Jan Plas went to Japan, he wasn’t allowed to train with Mas Oyama (the head of Kyokushin karate). He went walking there and saw Mejiro Gym (the original Tokyo gym) and went inside. When he returned to Holland, he told me I had to focus on kicking low, because I was a great admirer of Bruce Lee and was only kicking high.

I started developing my own way of kicking low. In my style, I use all of the kyokushin kicks. With Muay Thai you only see two types of kicks: low and roundhouse. Also, when I was training in Kyokushin, I was training always in boxing gloves.

MTG: And over time while training Thai boxing, you developed what you call All Style Muay Thai, is that right?

CARBIN: No, I call it Carbin All Style.

MTG: So when you train fighters in Carbin All Style, do you train them to fight like you, or did you change the style after you retired and began to pass on your knowledge?

CARBIN: I like them to work hard on footwork, as a way of defending. Through the years, we’ve had to change the style from time to time. I know some gyms in Holland are training the same style over and over again.

That’s not how we do it; every day we develop the style. I approach every fighter differently, with the basics of Carbin All Style, because every fighter is different.

On Technique
MTG: A technique I often see your fighters perform is to punch while they are recalling their kick, or to throw a knee strike when the arm is coming back. How did you develop these unorthodox techniques?

CARBIN: I like athletics, so I notice that all sprinters have powerful arms. So they use the arm to pull the leg forward.

I used the same technique like sprinters but with kicking. Moving the arm in this way makes the following combination very easy and you don’t use any power.

MTG: Pulling the arm back into the knee or kick makes it harder?

CARBIN: Yes, you gain more speed.

MTG: It’s interesting because most fighters expect a combination to be over after a kick. It must hurt more when a surprise punch comes.

CARBIN: A surprise punch always hurts. Most of them result in a knockout.

MTG: Something I’ve noticed is that your fighters do not always fully rotate into roundhouse kicks (mawashi geri) like Thais do. Why do you prefer that method?

CARBIN: It depends. We have three types of roundhouse kick: One to prepare for the punch after; one to kick on the arm (like the Thais do); one to change the angle of the kick.

MTG: Does that shorter roundhouse kick make it easier for your fighter to punch immediately after?

CARBIN: Yes. With one roundhouse kick, our hips are going back; with the other, they’re going forward. It depends on the follow-up technique.

lucien-carbin-3.jpg

Andy Ristie, a Carbin alumnus, throws a knee, brings his leg down and uses a soft left straight to steady himself. He then throws a front kick, which slips off Kiria’s guard, and then cracks him with a hard right hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The rest is on the website and he talks about his falling out with Andy Ristie, and how he coached Fedor to beat Cro Cop.

Awesome man, congrats! Good for you!

Great...just what we needed...AndyMaBobs in a position where he can influence others... Like he hasn't done enough damage on sherdog...

And why is the site called MT guy? Since you talk about dutch KB, and KK and other stuffs...
Well i suppose is for the same reasons they want you to write for them... To tarnish the image of the true MT...
So i'm guessing your next article will be about how useless are kicks and knees in MT? Or a petition to forbid clinching, or elbows...

Whatever man...

I suppose i should say congrats or something, so i don't sound bitter, or jealous...sigh...Congrats man...

Great...just what we needed...AndyMaBobs in a position where he can influence others... Like he hasn't done enough damage on sherdog...

And why is the site called MT guy? Since you talk about dutch KB, and KK and other stuffs...
Well i suppose is for the same reasons they want you to write for them... To tarnish the image of the true MT...
So i'm guessing your next article will be about how useless are kicks and knees in MT? Or a petition to forbid clinching, or elbows...

Whatever man...

I suppose i should say congrats or something, so i don't sound bitter, or jealous...sigh...Congrats man...
lol @ manlets influencing others

5-new-uses-for-salt-1024x768.jpg

Hey guys. You'll notice that I have a Sarkeesian-esque ability to not put out promised content. So my handy dandy guide for the clinch isn't out.

Really liked the interview.

Although when I your bio at the bottom I started cracking up:

"He likes long walks on the beach"

What am I reading?????

Really liked the interview.

Although when I your bio at the bottom I started cracking up:

"He likes long walks on the beach"

What am I reading?????

You know it baby ;)

Congratulations dude.
Great start too. The interview is very easy to read and it's all about technique.
We need more articles like this. Keep them coming!!

Big thank you to everyone that has sent congratulations! I wouldn't have had the idea if I hadn't been discussing technique on f11 with you dewds :D

Whatever man...

Call me Donald 'cause its gonna be huuuuuuge!

Legit though, bring elbows to Glory.

Call me Donald 'cause its gonna be huuuuuuge!

Legit though, bring elbows to Glory.
Hell, just allow regular clinching and I'm already good

bring headbutts to MMA, it will revolutionize GnP, clinching, and getting stuck in cradles will be even shittier

thank you very very much for sharing, awesome...awesome..awesome stuff

You the man, thanks for sharing! Also looking forward to your reading your articles moving forward. If you're gonna do it to someone, Discipulus is a great one to copy haha.

Last edited:
Back