My first muay thai fight - 3 rounds - would like some feedback

DylanMT

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey there, this is my first post on this forum but I've been a lurker for quite a while.
I'll get down to business, I've been doing muay thai for about 2 years now, I take the training pretty seriously, and I've had my first Muay Thai fight yesterday.
My opponent had a few fights under his belt and also KO'd someone before (if I'm not mistaken).

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhZ_xMn1dqkj5xdxnX5oGCY71Enx

(hope this link works, first time I try posting via onedrive)

Awaiting your feedback, I think I didn't do too bad

I'm the one in the Red corner

Last edited:
You were Blue right? Was a good match dude you should be proud.

No i was red :p

Hahaha shit my bad...I've been suffering from Influenza A all last week.
Just did a quick re watched and saw that you both came a draw. Initially I thought red (you) won.

Anyway you techniques are good and if I had to criticize...I would say to work on your stamina and leg checks.

Keep at it ;)

Looks good dude, both of you look pretty good. I would also say work on stamina and checking kicks. You did a good job of mixing up your strikes, and those teeps/leg kicks were nice!

Just to be completely honest. You'd probably beat me in a fight, but I fancy myself more of a fighter-coach type analyst at my age. Haha.

So with that out of the way, I think you need more left sided weapons to A) constantly threaten his centerline and B) Make him respect your range. He seemed to have no respect for your teep and constantly waded in as you were recovering. He mostly waded in behind his punches and so I think you could have ran him into some jabs and switch knees. Diversify your left sided attacks and the openings for power shots will present itself.

So the general theme in the two videos is with punchers who like to crowd you, you need to constantly threaten their centerline with feints or actual strikes. After better establishing your teep/jab/knee ranges you'll have a better sense of which power strike to run them into.

Last edited:
You're right, after rewatching the video I havent used my left midkick at all (even though that's my most devastating kick :p). Will keep that in mind! Thank you.

I think the biggest thing was he was allowed to crowd you. So unless you're a monster in the clinch, you need to get him to respect your ranges with more linear left sided attacks like your teep/jab/knee. Getting him more gunshy on his entries will give you the space to throw those round kicks.

Back