My first day of BJJ...

You mounted and took someone's back on your first day of BJJ, having started in closed guard???

In jiu jitsu the object is to choke each other. Welcome to the sport. I'm not sure you'll enjoy it if one round of live training bothered you so much.

So I have black belts in a number of traditional martial arts and have trained in wrestling, western boxing and muay thai. (I'm old). But I decided that to round out my skill set I wanted to try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. And, truth be told, I really enjoyed my first class. BJJ really is a science. It is an extensively thought out, technical system of practical fighting.

In my first sparring session I was placed in my opponents full guard and was told that my goal was to survive for two minutes without being swept or submitted. So we begin and I was doing well at holding my own. In fact during the first round I even managed to attain full mount and transition to taking my opponents back.

The entire time we were rolling our coach kept saying (to my opponent) "come on _____, he's a new guy" and "lets go _____ you're letting a new guy win". Then, after the first round they took him aside and whispered to him. When we started the second round, in the same position, my opponent immediately went for a choke using two hands on the collar of my gi. It was unexpected by me and was tight. I saw stars and almost tapped but I managed to ride it our and stay on top and control his hands for the two minutes.

My question is WTF? Is this not a really shitty thing to do to a new guy? To go out of their way to make him look bad or to be beaten? All I know is that in the gyms and dojos I've trained in we wouldn't do that. Seems a bit Cobra Kai-ish to me....no?
So you are bothered by being choked in jiu jitsu when the goal of jiu jitsu is to submit your opponent? You also took someone's back while in someone's full guard? I don't know how that happens.

You forgot to add that you sloppily applied a Gogoplata on a blue belt and made him tap, but emphasis on how sloppy it was applied.

OP I am guessing what bothering you wasn't the choke but the fact that the coach took his "boy " aside and whispered in his heart then later comes at you hard. My guess is you can handle losing just don't like the coach sending his guy after you like he did. You just want a friendly place to join correct?

its not like he neck cranked you or heel hooked you in your first day...what belt level was your opponent? part of jiui jitsu is adjusting to opponets and because you have a background and im sure giving this guy who im assuming is a not very experienced grappler a new look compared to most of his matches with jiu jitsu only matches, the coach is giving him adjustments as he sees him struggling with new things. something that any good coach should do. also when guys first show up you never know their intentions. you may have given the douchy i know what im doing already attitude and coaches like to break that early. and last but not least, you never let a new guy come in and run house on your students. they wont hurt you, but will try their best beat you and not let your ego get big. also its good for you because who wants to continue a sport where you beat everyone who does it your first day?

OP I am guessing what bothering you wasn't the choke but the fact that the coach took his "boy " aside and whispered in his heart then later comes at you hard. My guess is you can handle losing just don't like the coach sending his guy after you like he did. You just want a friendly place to join correct?

This.

It just seemed sleazy. I was able to defend it so it wasn't a big deal. I just found it distasteful that the coach was making it such a pissing contest.

As for how I took my sparring partners back. I broke free of his guard, got to full mount, he rolled in an attempt to escape and I took his back. I wasn't able to do much but control him for the remainder of the 2 minutes.

its not like he neck cranked you or heel hooked you in your first day...what belt level was your opponent? part of jiui jitsu is adjusting to opponets and because you have a background and im sure giving this guy who im assuming is a not very experienced grappler a new look compared to most of his matches with jiu jitsu only matches, the coach is giving him adjustments as he sees him struggling with new things. something that any good coach should do. also when guys first show up you never know their intentions. you may have given the douchy i know what im doing already attitude and coaches like to break that early. and last but not least, you never let a new guy come in and run house on your students. they wont hurt you, but will try their best beat you and not let your ego get big. also its good for you because who wants to continue a sport where you beat everyone who does it your first day?

You make some good points. However I was not being douchy at all. Quite the opposite actually. I was extremely impressed by the techniques I was being taught. I haven't mentioned to anyone at the gym that I have previous material arts experience because I didn't think it was relevant.

The fella I was sparring with wasn't overly experienced either and I outsized him. I wasn't meaning to sound boastful. I was trying to set the scene. And no, I wasn't upset about being choked *lol* :) it was just the way it came about.

Find another gym.

I usually have to restrain my students to not go too hard on newbies because I want them to come back.

Sounds luke normal BJJ rolling. Not sure what the problem is.

Plus you may be new to BJJ, but you're not a true newbie since you have a wrestling background.

OP, let me show you the other side of that coin.

We had a younger TMA Black belt about my size come try out BJJ for the same reasons as you. They paired me up with him and because I didn't want to be "That Guy", he was able to get me in a bad position. My coach busted my balls and explained that by being ultra passive, I'm wasn't doing anyone any favors. It gives the New Guy a false sense of his abilities. New Guy didn't sign up.

Fast forward a few months and said TMA Black Belt shows up to give it another go. We're paired up and I ate his lunch. We bumped and slapped, triangle. Reset, Bump slap, Arm Bar. Reset, bump slap, omoplata. Reset, Bump slap, sweep to mount, Ezekiel. He tried his "pressure points", got wrist locked. This time I rolled like I would normally roll.

My objective wasn't to embarrass him but to show him the potential of the art.

The whispering you saw may have been his instructor telling him to quick short changing you.

Back