My first boxing fight - Feedback please

Albe

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I just had my first boxing contest yesterday and im looking for some feedback.

I won by second round KO, but feel like I got too reckless sometimes. Hopefully you guys can give me good tips and things to look out for.

It was a 91kg fight, he cut a little more weight than I do, but im taller.

I just had my first boxing contest yesterday and im looking for some feedback.

I won by second round KO, but feel like I got too reckless sometimes. Hopefully you guys can give me good tips and things to look out for.

It was a 91kg fight, he cut a little more weight than I do, but im taller.

Good win, it worked out well for you in the end

critique
-you throw alternating hooks and from your waist, against someone more calm, you're going to eat overhands
-occasionally when you jab, your chin reaches for the sky. Don't do that
-throw more volume, you're throwing 1 jab and thats it, throw combinations
-you're striking as you back up, but your position is too much back where you're just throwing arm punches. If you back up, have a solid foundation

Good win, it worked out well for you in the end

critique
-you throw alternating hooks and from your waist, against someone more calm, you're going to eat overhands
-occasionally when you jab, your chin reaches for the sky. Don't do that
-throw more volume, you're throwing 1 jab and thats it, throw combinations
-you're striking as you back up, but your position is too much back where you're just throwing arm punches. If you back up, have a solid foundation

Guilty of all that. I got a little careless due to being nervous as hell, im usually way more technical than that. I was afraid of missing on the combos, so I kept jabbing with no follow-up. It was also my first time with 18z gloves lol, but i dont think that should matter.

I relied a bit too much on power and too little on everything else

Good effort, I know that nerves can be very detrimental to the performance. It looks like you've got good power, try to be a bit tighter with your guard(chin too high on a few occasions) and relax a bit , you looked pretty stiff there. May I ask how long you've boxing for?

Good effort, I know that nerves can be very detrimental to the performance. It looks like you've got good power, try to be a bit tighter with your guard(chin too high on a few occasions) and relax a bit , you looked pretty stiff there. May I ask how long you've boxing for?

I trained kyokushin karate my whole life, and boxing for the last year or so.

I have very good reflexes, usually I can parry most jabs. But adrenaline got the better of me with the wide hooks lol

I trained kyokushin karate my whole life, and boxing for the last year or so.

I have very good reflexes, usually I can parry most jabs. But adrenaline got the better of me with the wide hooks lol

It's your natural instincts kicking in at critical moments. Keep telling yourself to box until it's second nature. Even when the going gets tough.

Also, never stop jabbing a guy who gets clipped by them. It's working. There's no reason for you not to. You can win rounds by just jabbing. When he adjusts, you adjust.

Last edited:
good first fight, keep training and fighting and you will improve. You kept your chin down, but raise it when you punch. Nothing majorly wrong with anything you did. Everything will improve with time.

good first fight, keep training and fighting and you will improve. You kept your chin down, but raise it when you punch. Nothing majorly wrong with anything you did. Everything will improve with time.

My next contest will be on the 12th, tournament finals. Hopefully ill be a bit more calm and precise.

My next contest will be on the 12th, tournament finals. Hopefully ill be a bit more calm and precise.

just continue to "sharpen" everything, as we all need to do.

Have seen some first fights and this is one of the best. Very calm and technical like an experienced fighter.

And your opponent also looked good. Quite a skill level for two novices.

And your opponent also looked good. Quite a skill level for two novices.

He hit me with a jab right at the start of the fight, my jaw is still clicking from that one lol

I will fight a training partner of his in the next round, a bit taller, less muscular than him.

Back