My fingers are becoming difficult to close, any advice on rehab?

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been training in the GI for around 5 years and having some real difficulty with my middle fingers and flexiability.

They will not really close into a fist on my left hand, I always tape my hands aswell. Im getting a bit concerned as my knuckles hurt if I try and push them into a normal position.

Is they any exercises or anyway to reduce the existing inflammation? I've taken time off and they are still quite bad.

Any advice is appreciated as I would like to be more pro active and stop this getting worse or potentially curing this.

I take plenty omega 3 daily aswell!

This is purely anecdotal, but I've had success drinking a really good organic black cherry juice.

The best solution to your problem... Drop the gi.

Two things I've learnt to do:
  • learn not to grip so hard, or grip around the entire limb instead of just the gi. This is a bit trickier in judo, so you need to pick your moments.
  • one by one, hold the sides of an affected knuckle with the thumb and forefinger (one on either side clearly) of the other hand to isolate it, then rotate the knuckle hand about the axis of the finger a few times in either direction. This really helps to restore range of motion.

Stop using pocket grips in the gi. Don't attack loop chokes. If you're going to have a grip stripped, let go early rather than get your fingers blasted.

A simple solution is to only use no-gi grips, even when training in the gi. But you may need to alter your game if it includes a lot of gi-dependent techniques and you value your fingers

Hand exercises, bro.
Open
Close
Pull
Massage
Stretch
Roll
My hands are jacked. I bend my fingers that were dislocated As hard as I can. Endure some pain. As long as it’s not broken or dislocated bend the f out of them.
That’s what my doctor said to do. My hands won’t ever be 100%. It’s a scar for which I have no regret.

Avoid the stressor temporarily, and use band-resisted extension (like a rubber band). Once you're working on getting your ROM back, wrist wraps can help you close your hand.

Cut them off and get new ones.

Cut them off and get new ones.
handswapped.jpg

My fingers are pre-arthritic and I can't make a closed fist on either hand particularly cause the middle and fourth fingers won't close all the way. My knuckles are all f-d up. Went to four different doctors. They all told me the only thing I can do to keep it from getting worse is to stop doing jiu jitsu (they all knew that isn't going to happen). They were not telling me to stop doing jiu jitsu, but they were basically telling me that there wasn't anything they could do for me to heal or reverse the process. Definitely interested in this thread if anyone else has any good advice.

Fish oil. glucosamine, chondroiton, and msm blend usually marketed as joint support, tri-flex, etc. there’s an herbal joint support blend full of bromaline, turmeric and some other hippy Bullshit that helped a lot too. Lots of water every day. Stretch your hands, wrists and forearms before and after your roll the same way you do your major muscle groups.

Source: baking and fighting for 10+ years. It’s made a big difference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back