My BJJ gi Size?

Nyanav

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys!! So, I'm planning to join BJJ and I am confused about my gi size. My height is 166-168 cm(idk the exact value) and my weight is 82kg. Although I may sound fat, I am not but have large bones and wide chest. My stomach is not that large too. I don't know the exact diameter btw. So, can you guys help me???

Have you done BJJ before? Otherwise I would make sure that you like it before you buy a gi. Whatever club you go to probably has a few gis they sell or may have a deal if they order from somewhere. The best way to tell what size you are is to try some on. If there's anyone at the club you go to who's about your size, you can try on their gi and see how it fits.

You are going to be between an A1 and an A2 with most companies. You may even need a husky sized gi. However, there is no universal sizing from brand to brand. You will need to check the size chart of whatever brand you are going to buy for what your correct size. You can always email the gi company or seller and they will recommend what size you should get.

Also, as TheFakeMacoy said you probably want to try a few classes before you spend money on a bjj gi. They can be expensive and it is best to make sure you aren't throwing away your money. Most schools have loaner gis to use for your introductory classes. If you must get your own gi you can buy a judo gi for less than a bjj gi and it will be fine while you are starting out.

I also ended up losing a ton of weight doing jiu jitsu and went down 2 gi sizes eventually. Have fun!

Back