Muay Thai to MMA

PaqAttaq

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Yo guys, I'm a Muay Thai fighter transitioning from Muay Thai to MMA, more precisely I will stard doing MMA along with Muay Thai. What should I expect to learn from grappling in the first 6 months to a year? Cause I've got a feeling I'm a grappling antitalent, and i don't want to start MMA fights without good grappling defense. What can I do at home to adjust to MMA grappling quicker?
Thanks in advance

Yo guys, I'm a Muay Thai fighter transitioning from Muay Thai to MMA, more precisely I will stard doing MMA along with Muay Thai. What should I expect to learn from grappling in the first 6 months to a year? Cause I've got a feeling I'm a grappling antitalent, and i don't want to start MMA fights without good grappling defense. What can I do at home to adjust to MMA grappling quicker?
Thanks in advance

Grapple as much as you possibly can and also specifically hone the striking skills that will help prevent you from being taken down. You want to specifically have good uppercuts and also some sharp knees. When you're advancing if you stick to low kicks more and knees to the body it will discourage opponents from changing level on you.

You want to have good takedown defence, be able to sprawl off to the side as well as straight back, and you'll want to work on as many ways to get the fight standing or get your self on top of your opponent. This is aside from the obvious stuff like grappling and learning submissions, defence and so on.

You'd want to make sure you have a decent take down as well to make sure you can feint it to make the most of your striking.

Admittedly though the advice I'm giving you is mainly assuming that you want to use your striking in MMA and that you're learning grappling to survive on the ground. Personally I would grapple as much as possible and do MMA sessions instead of your Muay Thai sessions for now and focus on MMA as a sport and grappling to make sure that it's not too far behind when you step into the cage. After all, if you're already a muay thai fighter you probably won't need tons of work on your striking to be competitive on that front.

But yeah, uppercuts, knees, sprawl, double/single, are the things that come to my mind the most outside of the obvious stuff.

Work from the bottom. If your MT is as good as you thing it is your going to want to stand, so the only time you'll be on the ground is when your on your back. Maybe look at spider guard as a way to get back on your feets, and concentrate of getting back up rather than win the grappling exchange.

If you're looking for something to do at home to improve your grappling, focus on simple drills that are taught during class and practice the movements at home. Consider setting up a private lesson to learn some good solo drills and to make sure you're doing them right.

As far as what you can expect to learn, that depends on the place you're training, and the level of the people you're training with. 6 months is not a lot of time to become competent at grappling in general. Expect to still feel lost or helpless a lot of the time after 6 months. The way to feel more comfortable in grappling for MMA is to grapple more, so get on the mats and get that flight time.

If you're looking for something to do at home to improve your grappling, focus on simple drills that are taught during class and practice the movements at home. Consider setting up a private lesson to learn some good solo drills and to make sure you're doing them right.

As far as what you can expect to learn, that depends on the place you're training, and the level of the people you're training with. 6 months is not a lot of time to become competent at grappling in general. Expect to still feel lost or helpless a lot of the time after 6 months. The way to feel more comfortable in grappling for MMA is to grapple more, so get on the mats and get that flight time.

^^^
I'm pretty new to grappling and my coach lets me get away with a lot in grappling that I wouldn't get away with if he were taking it seriously. I train in privates mostly at the moment and though my technique is improving it's still going to take a long time before I develop the sort of reaction time to find openings on opponents and so forth

Thanks guys for the replies, helped me out, thanks :)

Back