Muay thai student transition to taekwondo

judokaboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi im studying muaythai and recently i stopped to study taekwondo (is cheaper than muay thai, not stoping MT entirely just adding arsenals) and have been doing it for some time. Ive been using muay thai shin blocks in our sparring which is effective. The question is is there guys out there that has similar transitions? how do you cope up with it? Do you need to unlearn stuff or just incorporate in with MT?

What style of TKD - WTF or ITF? Are you getting scolded for checking leg kicks? Do they use punches at all?

tae kwon do is a martial art system , you have to immerse yourself into the way they fight , take it slow and do things the way they want you to do them ,

it will definatley help your kicking , once you get the hang of tkd system , then incorporate your muay thai skills to complete your style ,,, its no different than me when i jumped into muay thai (kick boxing ) i train the way they ask me to , and now i am blending in my tkd experience and coming up with a style i can use effectively ,,, good luck , you will enjoy it

@hotora86 - im studying itf-taekwondo, im not scolded using shin blocks, in fact it is allowed and some black belts there use it too. the punches and just straights, no hooks and uppercuts. but i understand why, because if does it look like a kick boxing match.

@peanut66 - thanks, im getting a hang of it, its style is pretty fluid, lot of kicks and can seen coming and the foot work can be done switching to another stance from left to right. fancy kicks need speed and accuracy to pull off. that is exactly what im doing now hopefully someday i can fully incorporate muay thai and taekwondo in my arsenal. :)

the TKD will really really improve your MT targeting. While MT i found to generally traing stronger kicks, TKD generally trained more accurate kicking.

the TKD will really really improve your MT targeting. While MT i found to generally traing stronger kicks, TKD generally trained more accurate kicking.

I agree with that, the tkd kicking pad that looks like a frying pan, helps a lot with my accuracy. hitting small targets helped my eye-feet coordination :)

Muay thai student transition to taekwondo

The standup forum just imploded.

divide-by-zero8.jpg

I don't know why anyone would transition from Muay Thai to TKD; that's like transitioning from tennis to ping pong.

I don't know why anyone would transition from Muay Thai to TKD; that's like transitioning from tennis to ping pong.

I laughed at this.

Probably more like tennis to racquetball.

Also you get to do those cool exercises where you hop alternating legs really quickly.

cant imagine spending years studying an art only to discover i still cant fight.
thats tae kwon do.

cant imagine spending years studying an art only to discover i still cant fight.
thats tae kwon do.

yeah , its kinda like when i see guys wearing muay thai shorts tapping and gasping for air when the grapple at our gym ,,, just saying

well if ive seen so many muay thai fights and on the average all kicks are just roundhouse and front kicks being thrown in a match if ever there are different kicks its just a small percentage. But mostly its just roundhouse and front kicks mainly due to the stance. And if you study muay thai in depth, its side kick has less power compared to side kick of other martial arts, you can check it in books about muay thai if you want to study pure muay thai style, its side kick is not like others, the back not completely turned (thats why it has less power).. ..etc..but no doubt the round house kick is strong.

in a taekwondo match, I can see lot of fancy kicks being landed, and I know it takes skill and years of training before you can reach a martial art level similar to those athletes.

and even a simple kick is hard to land if one does not have the skill to do it.

well its just like boxing you can throw punches at all angles and distances, im just wondering if i can do that with my feet as well. thats why i took taekwondo, it works for me. thats why I took up Itf-Taekwondo and im sure my muay thai isnt messed up here. my MT gym mates are impressed with my sparring now they said ive become faster.

do doubt Muay thai has really good lowkick pucnch combos, just look at buakaw por pramuk on how he delivers his kicks it is an example of perfection. but in fights i always see him doing roundhouse and front kicks only, if you can see him land 360 turning kicks tell me and show me vids. But i admire his fights he is truly a great one.

Last edited:
thats tae kwon do.

Hmm i wonder if there's some nationalistic bs bias in this statement? Let me think.......:icon_lol:

Now before someone goes through the usual list of fighters who have a tkd background and use it in fights lets just make it simple

images

images

To this day Anderson silva still trains his TKD. A world class record holding champion still takes the time out of his busy schedule to work on the art. This realization means more than the opinion of any random turd online or some insignificant fighter who wont even be remembered when he or she retires.

In conclusion..

images

Last edited:
when i was doing only muay thai i see myself as a superior striker above other arts. then when i entered the itf-tkd dojo, my a$$ got whopped in sparring, I realized and learned that its wrong belittle other matial arts which i have no background or idea what it is..every art is different

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back