Muay Thai Kick Technique

cheemeng96

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi, ive been training muay thai for quite a while, and im here today because ive been getting these bruises on my shin and im worried if my technique could be wrong because of the places of my bruises. I know that muay thai kicks utilizes the lower part of the shin near the foot (which is the contact point) so I dont really know how i actually got bruises around the TOP of my shin (near the knee but not that high up) when im kicking pads with a partner. I do know that bruises are very common, but I would really appreciate it if anyone can provide feedback based on the placement of the bruises because I'm worried if there is an error in my technique. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, ive been training muay thai for quite a while, and im here today because ive been getting these bruises on my shin and im worried if my technique could be wrong because of the places of my bruises. I know that muay thai kicks utilizes the lower part of the shin near the foot (which is the contact point) so I dont really know how i actually got bruises around the TOP of my shin (near the knee but not that high up) when im kicking pads with a partner. I do know that bruises are very common, but I would really appreciate it if anyone can provide feedback based on the placement of the bruises because I'm worried if there is an error in my technique. Thank you.

It'll happen sometimes, don't worry about it, some people say land higher, others say land lower, but don't worry abut it when yo're banging the pads you're probably gonna catch your shin at all different angles and the conditioning will be good for you in the long run.

If you're super concerned ask your coach and see what they say, otherwise just make sure you're landing correctly during drills and sparring.

It should be in the middle of your shin or just slightly lower. If you land your MT roundhouse with your ankle or your foot. It would be less effective.
Oh and don't worry, bruise happens, just make sure to wear shin guard when you're sparring.

I going to say you may have a shit padholder. Padholding itself is a skill, and not alot can do it properly unless they have years of exp. in. There are ALOT of times when a shit holder holds the pad incorrectly and your kick ends up coming more vertical than horizontal (should bedigging inwards), or maybe in your case, the edge of the stitching is hitting your shin. When if held properly you'd be able to get the lower part to contact.

In the case of the former, it will become an issue if ALL you do is padwork, a guy at our gym who just did padwork, not much drills or bagwork ended up always kicking upwards and hurting himself when it came to sparring. He'd usually end up hitting elbows on middle kicks, and we weren't even trying to smash elbows in, we just had our arms up with a regular guard. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back