MUAY THAI IS AN OLYMPIC SPORT

Muay Thai is not Olympic! First, it debuts as a presentation sport and then becomes an Olympic sport.

they have been saying this forever! would be great if it happened.

I dont see how it would "water it down"

boxing is in the olympics and isnt watered down.

Boxing has been watered down though. For the longest time, the olympic committee used a points based system where landing a jab which just touched was given the same credit as landing a punch that knocked the other person onto the canvas. This system produced boxers like Amir Khan who were very light on their feet but had reduced ability to box from the inside (as what was the point of doing that when you can just win matches by touching?).

I am guessing if Muay Thai goes through it will be a version like Mod Thai where there will be rules like no elbows (so as to not scare away the average joe who is watching) and/or where there are shorter rounds (to ensure more action for the average joe).

It will be great from the POV that more people will try Muay Thai/the sport will get more funding but I worry how it will affect the practising of the style itself...

keep elbows - put on pads
keep round length - but only have 3 rounds
no headgear / no shinpads

keep cuts low without taking out a big part of the sport and push the pace through less rounds to keep the action going.

thats what i would do anyway

Boxing has been watered down though. For the longest time, the olympic committee used a points based system where landing a jab which just touched was given the same credit as landing a punch that knocked the other person onto the canvas. This system produced boxers like Amir Khan who were very light on their feet but had reduced ability to box from the inside (as what was the point of doing that when you can just win matches by touching?).

I am guessing if Muay Thai goes through it will be a version like Mod Thai where there will be rules like no elbows (so as to not scare away the average joe who is watching) and/or where there are shorter rounds (to ensure more action for the average joe).

It will be great from the POV that more people will try Muay Thai/the sport will get more funding but I worry how it will affect the practising of the style itself...

i disagree, sure you can outpoint someone in olympic boxing, just as you can in regular boxing. The only difference I see in olympic boxing is that they were head gear, guys are still trying to stop the man in front of them for the most part. people try to win in boxing on points all the time, like mayweather for example.

I dont see muay thai being watered down. I dont think any rules would change either. I could see it being with shinpads, chest pad, elbow pads, head gear though, similar to the imtf muay thai or whatever.

basically what they did with boxing, with muay thai.

IMG_7580-600x326.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back