Muay thai and Wrestling

Muaythaifighter

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I always hear boxers should pick wrestling and Muay thai should pick BJJ. Why is that?

Purely because of the more narrow stance that Muay thai fighters have? Well you can adapt and have a slightly more wider stance like Dutch style.

Because Muay thai fighters kick and are more likely to get taken down? If you kick fast enough I don't think this should be a real issue.

So why wouldn't you combine it with wrestling and keep the fight standing as a Muay thai fighter or am I missing something here else here?

meh, I think its more due to availability. Back when it was cookie cutter, MT wasn't too popular in the states. It could also be that, it's assumed that guys with a MT background are already good on their feet, and BJJ is purely for defense to survive on the ground or to get back up and work on their strengths

I'm a MT guy, and I've been finding wrestling (stand up grappling) more natural to me than BJJ. Not to mention having experience with clinch fighting from MT flows in well with clinching (wrestling) on the fence/wall.

Back