Mouth guard while rolling?

TonyFloydMMA

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've noticed some of the best guys in the gym roll with mouth guards in during BJJ, what's the benefit to it?

You never know what's gonna happen

And I fight with my mouth guard in so its good to get used to it

I think it helps with your breathing or something

I always roll with mouth guard 'cause I got cut by my teeth once on the inside, especially easy when you start on your feet with wrestling take down all the way down to ground grappling. Or when your rolling partner trying to cover your mouth, working on rear naked choke (fight the neck/cranking your jaw) etc. With mouth guard just nicer.

But most likely your elite guys in the gym probably do mma? So they likely get used to doing everything with mouth guard?

I've noticed some of the best guys in the gym roll with mouth guards in during BJJ, what's the benefit to it?

What's the benefit to it? You increase your chances of keeping your grill in the form that it arrived in

Teeth are expensive and they don't grow back. I spent $4,000 and over two years getting a bone graft and dental implant for reasons unrelated to training. That is why I roll with a mouth guard. You never know when someone may hit you accidentally and I'd rather be safe then down another $4,000.

Definitely sensible.

However I can't find one that doesn't make me gag and Ive got custom made ones.

I always roll with a mouth guard.

The #1 reason is to prevent my teeth from being chipped - which happened to me twice - before I made the decision to always train and compete with a mouth guard.

Back