Mounting punching bag

Luca000

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm new to the boxing scene. At the end of my backyard is a small garden house that is made out of wood and is not very strong. It's big enough for a punching bag, however, the main beam that supports the structure is not strong enough. I purchased a 3ft bag and punched it with moderate power and it started to shake the house. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford a free standing one. Is there any possible way to support the bag? Maybe a special bracket? There is nothing surrounding the beam. Just a horizontal plank of wood. I've been searching around online and can't seem to find anything. Please let me know

I'm new to the boxing scene. At the end of my backyard is a small garden house that is made out of wood and is not very strong. It's big enough for a punching bag, however, the main beam that supports the structure is not strong enough. I purchased a 3ft bag and punched it with moderate power and it started to shake the house. I'm on a budget so I cannot afford a free standing one. Is there any possible way to support the bag? Maybe a special bracket? There is nothing surrounding the beam. Just a horizontal plank of wood. I've been searching around online and can't seem to find anything. Please let me know
Picture? I'm having difficulty understanding the setup.

-------------------------------------
l l
l------------"Beam"-------------l
l Bag l
l Bag l
l l
l l

I think it's like this? (EDIT: It's not showing properly lol)

To op, I think if the structure is not strong enough, there is really not much you can do about it. If the bag is longer, perhaps you can put up a chair at the bottom to hold up the bag reduce the swing and ease the pressure it brings to the top, but 3ft bag is pretty short right? Especially it's not just about the "Beam" breaking? But the whole house is shaking with it, then I doubt any type of method/hook/bracket can stabilise the house. You don't want the bag to fixate and not swing either.

So either risk breaking your wooden garden house or save up to buy that free stand really, or take it down and do some ground and pound or punch it sitting next to a stable wall/tree.

Last edited:
Really, though, based on what you've said, I would recommend against mounting a bag. Not just because it might ruin the garden house, but mainly because it might break and fall while you're punching it.

For all your punching bag mounting needs, I'd recommend:
https://www.firstlawfitness.com
I have two spider mounts and they are great. You'd be better off mounting your bag inside with that mount. Jeff is a great person.

[I realize the second half of my post is almost entirely discordant with the first half. What I meant is that if you want to find mounting equipment, this is the place to look. I don't know if any of the stuff will actually help in your current situation, though.]

Last edited:
20uubo4.jpg

Back