Most dangerous threat to Khabib?

No Mas

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think it's between 3 people really, Tony, Lee, and Gillespie. I don't think Lee offers him much simply because he is prone to gasing, and a Khabib match will likely go the way of the Ferguson matchup; Lee starting strong then getting overwhelmed and caught with a sub or gnp when he's tired. That's what Khabib does usually, sap your energy, and don't think Lee will be able to keep up.

So that leaves GG and Tony. Tony has by far the best cardio in the division, and maybe surpasses even MM for best condition in the promotion. Still, whether he does enough damage in the early rounds to have Khabib tired enough to stop him late is debatable since he is pretty easy to take down. Think Khabib would stifle him and edge it out with stalemate top positions more times than not.

Overall GG seems like the perfect candidate to nullify Khabib's game completely and turn it into a sprawl and brawl type affair with Khabib having to fight a Tibau type fight where he needs to wall and stall him to have any success. If this fight happens, it's probably gonna be a dreadfully boring affair, but GG has better cardio than Khabib, is a more polished striker, and is the most decorated wrestler in the division. I think this would be a style make fights type deal, and even if GG wouldn't necessarily beat/dominate all the opponents Khabib has, he would be very likely to decision him.

Only problem is, it seems that after 5 finishes and 3 POF in 5 fights, they keep feeding him nobodies and he is nowhere near a title shot. Seriously, what the hell was the point of fighting Rinaldi and Gonzalez after he beat Holbrook? GG needs someone in the top 15 and then top 10-5 ASAP.

As Donaher said - Khabib will always control the pace of the fight, and the direction of the fight. His boxing is always improving so it will be hard for anyone to beat him.

Kevin Lee is hyped but I dont see how he poses a threat to Khabib. Tony could catch him with something though.

I think Gillespie has a higher chance than both of them, only problem is he is still a long way away. He is a bit small, but his cardio is top notch and he has developed some really solid boxing fundamentals and has very good movement too. And most importantly, currently the most decorated wrestler in the division.

His most dangerous threat is fighting in his own weight class of 170

Khabib finishing Tony would be a huge statement. I cant see it happening tho.

016_Artem_Lobov.0.0.jpg

I like Gregor, but why would you consider a guy who haven't fought someone in top 15 being a problem for the champion?

I like Gregor, but why would you consider a guy who haven't fought someone in top 15 being a problem for the champion?

It's not about who he's fought but how he's looked. He's very adept at mixing striking and takedowns to overwhelm opponents and his boxing has looked very crisp so far. He has the striking, cardio and wrestling combo to pose serious problems to Khabib. So I just think out of all opponents he'd be the most likely to decision Khabib in an underwhelming stand up battle type fight.

It's not about who he's fought but how he's looked. He's very adept at mixing striking and takedowns to overwhelm opponents and his boxing has looked very crisp so far. He has the striking, cardio and wrestling combo to pose serious problems to Khabib. So I just think out of all opponents he'd be the most likely to decision Khabib in an underwhelming stand up battle type fight.
He looked good against weak opponents. Let's not forget what happened to James Vick lately and he looked good before that.

ferguson fight would be good. i enjoy watching tony in the ring.

First Id say his entourage then comes El cucuy

Tony has a good chance if he can gas Khabib and not get destroyed early. I lean towards Tony drowning Khabib in late rounds.

Gillespie. But Khabib will probably be retired before Gillespie cracks top 5. He has no juice and will have to climb ranks old school like 8-9 wins in a row

NO ONE ELSE

He looked good against weak opponents. Let's not forget what happened to James Wik lately and he looked good before that.

No doubt, I do think after Holbrook his opponent quality has either regressed or stayed the same. He needs a step up in competition that should have happened a while ago. But again, I'm just basing his chances on his wrestling pedigree and his striking/cardio looking very good not on who he's faced. I think with the right match ups he could be challenging after 2-3 fights.

Tony without a doubt, his pressure and bottom game would be interesting to see against Khabib

Back