Morris and Trammell in the HOF - Agree or Disagree?

platypus44

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The second chance HOF ballot elected Jack Morris and Alan Trammell to the HOF. Was it loaded with Detroit sportswriters?
I have long felt that Morris deserves it. But we already has a ton of shortstops so I would have preferred Thurman Munson or Ken Boyer (catchers and third baseman are underrepresented).
And Lou Whittaker was a pretty close match to Trammell - should he get in?
Finally, Simmons has some pretty good stats for a catcher - the rap on him was that he was sub par as a fielder but is there really evidence to back that up?
And were are we/will we be in 5 years on the steroid issue?

Who are they?
Minor stars from baseball card collecting days.

I think Jack was a big game pitcher and Trammell slightly above average hitting SS or 2B.

Where's Barry Bonds and why can't I buy a fresh new Barry Bonds 25 name & number t-shirt? My old one's probably too tight. Must have shrunk in the wash.

Detroit has been fucked for years in the voting. Whitaker and Trammel deserve to go in as a pair as they are the best double play combination ever. Whitaker was my favorite player growing up. I think their excellence is lost on the younger generation as the offensive numbers have jumped so much in recent years

Both don’t deserve to be in the hof

Both men a more deserveksinn

If they are HOF worthy, they all should go in on 1st year eligibility without the stupid writers' grandstanding dicking around.

Baseball HOF is full of bitter old fucks.
Case in point Edgar Martinez. Dude has an award named after him but didn't see increases in voting until writers realized they would look like idiots voting in Papi, a man that wont he award named after Edgar without voting in Edgar.

people dont question Larkin getting in and he has very similar stats to trammell. larkin had a few more steals and a little better average while trammell had world series accolades and a better WAR

Let everyone in. Already a joke of who is in. The hall of average.

Barry Larkin went 30-30 one year, I think.

Yes, Trammell should be in and I guess Morris should be in.

Trammell was a multi-time Gold Glover at the most important defensive position outside pitcher and catcher. He was also a multi-time Silver Slugger at SS and a guy who hit .300+ with 20+ HR in an era where very few SS did that outside Cal Ripken.

Morris I'm actually more split on. I know people have been pining for him to get in for decades now, but he's really getting in on a few moments in a long career. He was a solid workhorse for a long time and a good strike out pitcher for his era, but he's getting in because he came up huge in a handful of enormous games. Personally I think above average players getting in because of a handful of clutch moments is iffy. But at the end of the day, they were truly great moments and he was enough above average that I'm ok with it.

Lou Whitaker should also be in for the same reasons as Trammell, except offense at 2B in that era was even weaker than at SS.

Munson was good, but not the legend he's remembered as due to dying while still playing (for the Yankees, which is why he's really a household name). Singles hitter who hit .300 half of his career and was serviceable behind the plate. Already has a gift MVP award. I wouldn't vote for him, but whatever. He's the next tier down.

Boyer, I don't know much about past looking at his stats, but he's had a million chances and his contemporaries haven't put him in after years of eligibility on the Old-Timers committee. Put up pretty good numbers during an EXTREME pitcher's era, so not really sure why.

Are you talking about Ted Simmons? Decent bat for a few years. Not a HOFer.

Back