More talented athlete: Usain Bolt or Jon Jones?

Track and field is just as dirty as mma.

All athletes are on peds.

I'll take an mma fighter over someone who runs fast in a straight line for 10 seconds though when determining who is the better athlete.

Have someone trying to punch or take bolt down while he is racing though and I may change my opinion.
Are you retarded? "Runs in a straight line for 10 seconds"...Usain Bolt is the FASTEST MAN IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET. Success in his sport is based SOLE on athletic talent. I sense that you are a slow white boy, which I am too, but its time for you to come to the realization that 100 m sprinters are among the best athletes in the world. Not that some MMA fighters aren't, but MMA takes far more than just athletic talent. It takes real skills and more importantly, it takes heart.

i wonder if people that watch curling and have a forum of their own come up with questions like this.

"i wonder of our best guy is comparable athletically to ONE OF THE BEST ATHLETES IN THE WORLD"

Neither. The answer is jon bolt. Jon had a boy and bolt had a daughter. Those kids grew up and met at a bar. Then they did it and gave birth to a kid named jon bolt. Jon bolt was looked after by his grandparents jon jones and usain bolt. They educated him on the ways of combat and sprinting. He is now the best apparently.

Jones is in the business of spinning plates, Bolt runs in a straight line.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10 thousand kicks but the one who has practiced 1 kick 10 thousand times. -Bruce Lee

Usain Bolt is a master and a world record holder. Don't sell him short

i wonder if people that watch curling and have a forum of their own come up with questions like this.

"i wonder of our best guy is comparable athletically to ONE OF THE BEST ATHLETES IN THE WORLD"

Bolt is not even in the NFL, therefore he's a worse athlete than Mitrione. Sherdog can't make up its mind.

Depends on what you mean by talent. Innate physical ability? Bolt is one of the most athletically gifted humans ever, much moreso than even JBJ who is one of the most gifted MMA fighters ever. This is, however, specific to their sport. Bolt's body isn't as suited to fighting as JBJ's is, but it's the absolute ideal for sprinting, just as JBJ's is for fighting.

In terms of skill, obviously JBJ is in a completely different realm from Bolt. Sprinting takes next to no skill. Yes, there's certainly technique involved, but anyone can learn to be a sprinter with enough training, their only real limitation will be what their body can provide. Fighting is a totally different animal, there are so many factors both tangible and intangible that comparing them is just impossible. One is a skill sport (MMA), the other is a pure work sport (sprinting).

The last factor is, I guess, work ethic. Given that racing events are pretty much 100% based on how much work you put in combined with the body you're born with, it's easy to assume that Bolt has a better work ethic than JBJ. That combined with the fact that we know JBJ has been subject to bouts of laziness and atrophy means that Bolt almost certainly has a better work ethic. However, that isn't really talent as it's popularly defined.

Overall, JBJ is more "talented" in terms of the intangibles that make a fighter what they are. Bolt is a product of having the absolute perfect body for the sport he's in combined with the work ethic to maximize what he was born with. A lot of it comes down to how you define "talent" in regard to sports.

Also, they both use PEDs. You're kidding yourself if you don't think every Olympic athlete (in a sport where they provide a substantial benefit) aren't, they just have incredibly sophisticated and thorough programs that ensure that they'll never get caught. These athletes have the resources of entire countries behind them, beating WADA tests is trivial for them.
Solid Post <mma4>

I would rather run against Bolt than fight against Jones. so

eye poking, weight cutting> jones
everything else> Bolt

Top 10 sprinters earn less than top 10 MMA fighters. Therefore Jones competes against C-level athletes while Bolt competes against D-level athletes. Sherdog math dictates that Jones is more talented and a superior athlete and only needs a couple years of training to beat Bolt.
Nope, nobody in the UFC is even close to being a good enough athlete to win a gold medal in the Olympics for track and field.

At the end of the day, who's skills would you rather have?

Does Usain eye poke his competition? No? Then Usain.

Always thought those two had very very similar bodytypes...
Always been surprised too that it didn't get talked.
Bolt has Jon Jonesesque reach...

Well sprinting is about raw athleticism, not skill. I like Jones for his spreading of the knee kick and arm wrench, but other than that he is a shameless cheat who has filthed on the piblic face of mma.

Curling is a nail-biter.

Are you retarded? "Runs in a straight line for 10 seconds"...Usain Bolt is the FASTEST MAN IN THE HISTORY OF THE PLANET. Success in his sport is based SOLE on athletic talent. I sense that you are a slow white boy, which I am too, but its time for you to come to the realization that 100 m sprinters are among the best athletes in the world. Not that some MMA fighters aren't, but MMA takes far more than just athletic talent. It takes real skills and more importantly, it takes heart.

I didn't say that sprinting wasn't impressive. What I'm saying is that I'm not as impressed with it as I am a mma fighter.

I'm more impressed with distance runners as well. A sprinter needs great power and obviously there is a little bit of strategy involved as well, but mostly it boils down to the fastest guy winning.

With a distance runner you need endurance, you need to know when to pace yourself, when to go faster, you need to judge what pace to keep compared to the other guys involved in the race etc. In mma you need strength and speed. You also need to know when to conserve energy, how to fight on the ground, standing, grappling etc. You also come in with a game plan and you try to implement it.

I think being an athlete is more than just about speed and power. I consider baseball players great athletes and yet you can be a fatass and still play that sport. Still though, determining in far less than one second whether to swing at a pitch or to take it because it's put of the strike zone, or whether to pull the ball or drive it to the opposite field etc....all of that takes incredible skill and I consider that to be great athleticism in its own way.

So yes...Usain Bolt is amazing. His speed is fucking awesome and I'll enjoy watching him race in the olympics. If he wins will I consider him a greater athlete than say Floyd Mayweather or Mighty Mouse though? No I wont. They may not be able to run a 40 yd dash in the same amount of time as him, but they can sure as hell run a 40 yd dash. Can Usain Bolt stand in the pocket and trade punches with another human being? Who knows. Can he hit a 95 Mph fastball? Probably not. Can he catch a 50 yard touchdown pass with a defensive back drilling him at the line of scrimmage? Who knows.

Here is what my slow white ass knows. I can sprint for 40 yards. Not very fast but I can finish the race. I can even run a marathon. I used to be able to hit a 70 mph fastball lol, so if a MLB pitcher threw only change ups I may be able to make contact. I can even compete in jiu jitsu against some higher level belts than me. I'm a purple belt. I've rolled with black belts who couldn't submit me in the alloted time, even though I was dominated.

But I can't get in a cage and fight the guys Jon Jones has fought. I wouldn't last 30 seconds against shogun, or gus, or Cormier. Unlike those other sports, i cannot physically finish an mma fight. Id be owned so quick it would be hilarious. So based on all of that, I'll say mma guys are superior athletes to sprinters.

Back