Month long PSMF.

OoopsaDaisey

Black Belt in DEEP Megaton
@Green
Reaction score
Figured I'd log this, just because I rarely see finished PSMF logs on forums. And it's not surprising, as it's a pretty difficult diet for most to stay on. PSMF stands for "Protein Spared Modified Fast", it's a crash diet that consists almost solely of protein. It's used to get down in weight very quickly, for the morbidly obese, or anyone looking to drop a lot of weight in a short amount of time.

I'm currently taking in roughly 1100-1300 calories a day, I'm being a bit less strict on getting absolute exact numbers simply because it really doesn't matter whether I get 1100 or 1300 calories at my current weight. And I'm not going to obsess over exact numbers and lose motivation when I don't 100% hit them every day. I learned of the diet from Lyle McDonald's forums, and then his book.

I'm 6'3" and currently 369lbs. I started 5 days ago at 379lbs, so I'm already down 10lbs in the first 5 days. As most of you probably known, a bit of it is water weight. My goal for the end of the month is to be down to 349lbs.

I have R.A. that started flaring up when I was 17 (22 now), and that's been a severe hindrance in my life since. I've always been a big guy, but it's really prevented me from doing a lot of things and I've only put on more weight due to it. I'm tired of letting it control my life, however. I plan on moving in a month to Arizona, where I'll finally be able to join an MMA/MT/BJJ gym. It's hard to get the motivation to go to a normal gym due to the R.A., but it'll be less difficult with this. I do have experience training, and there's really nothing I enjoy more. It's partially a reason why I want to drop this 30lbs, so I'm not so out of shape when I start.

After the month I'll switch to a more low carb paleo approach, with some carbs thrown in post-training.

I'll throw today's meals in a reply.

Last edited:
Meal 1.
6oz Chicken Breast
1/4th Cup Fat Free Cheddar
2 Cups Spinach
2 Scoops Optimum Whey

499 Calories
6g Carbs
3g Fat
95g Protein

Meal 2.
6oz Tri Tip
1/4th Cup FF Cheddar
1 Cup Broccoli/Cauliflower

394 Calories
8g Fat
8g Carbs
63g Protein

Meal 3.
3oz Jack Links Beef Stick
5oz Hot Dill Pickle
1TBS FF Cream Cheese

218 Calories
12g Carbs
3g Fat
39g Protein

Totals : 1111 Calories, 26g Carbs, 14g Fat, 196g Protein

Didn't cook today's meals the night before like I usually do. I already prepped tomorrow's meals, so I won't have to worry about that. The first meal is my "base" meal on the diet, my general go-to. The tri tip was very well-done, very little to no fat. I usually get a few less g's of fat and carbs, but I'm not worried about it.

I'm looking into making some chili with the ground turkey I bought, but I need a few things from the store before making it.

I don't know if it's the "brain fog" or if I'm just off today, but I've been absolutely fucking everything up. I had to grab all three toothbrushes in the holder until I finally got the right one, it took me way too long to add all of that together for the meals, and other little things. Definitely not a normal day. We'll see if it continues though.

Best of luck to you, good sir

As soon as you've adapted into ketosis you'll feel a lot better physically and mentally.

My grandmother had RA and it's a terrible disease in the end, I'm really sorry to hear you have it. I'm not sure about early treatment for the disease but you should absolutely fight it as hard as you can and go above and beyond what a normal person would consider a healthy lifestyle. This isn't about looking good in your clothes for you; it's your livelihood at best and your life at worst.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Stay strong.

Best of luck to you, good sir

Thank you!

As soon as you've adapted into ketosis you'll feel a lot better physically and mentally.

My grandmother had RA and it's a terrible disease in the end, I'm really sorry to hear you have it. I'm not sure about early treatment for the disease but you should absolutely fight it as hard as you can and go above and beyond what a normal person would consider a healthy lifestyle. This isn't about looking good in your clothes for you; it's your livelihood at best and your life at worst.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Stay strong.

This means a lot to me, it really does. And yes, it's pretty fucking shitty. I've let it control my life for four years, basically doing and accomplishing nothing in that time. I'm a wee bit fucking tired of it.

Was at 367 this morning. So, 12lbs down in 6 days. Really hoping to hit the 20lb mark after two weeks. I'm honestly really enjoying the food, which is odd since I'm not the biggest chicken fan. Definitely a guy who prefers red meat to white. I still feel a bit mentally foggy, but I can deal with it.

Meal 1.
6oz Chicken
2 Cups Spinach
1/4th Cup FF Cheddar
2 TBS FF Cream Cheese

289 Calories
6g Carbs
2g Fat
55g Protein

Meal 2.

6oz Chicken
1 Cup Broccoli
1/4th Cup FF Cheddar

297 Calories
12g Carbs
2g Fat
55g Protein

Meal 3
4oz Lean Ground Beef
1 Cup Broccoli
1/4th Cup FF Cheddar

302 Calories
12 Carbs
8g Fat
45g Protein

Snacks.
2OZ Jack Links Beef Steak
Half Hot Pickle
1 Scoop Optimum Whey

255 Calories
10g Carbs
3g Fat
48g Protein

Totals : 1,143 Calories , 40g Carbs, 15g Fat, 203g Protein.

I think MFP's numbers are a bit off, especially on the carbs for the veggies. Per the back of the packages? Each 1 cup serving of Broccoli should only have 5g carbs, not 10. So I'm getting about half the amount of carbs that are being listed, without subtracting the fibre. I'll have to create my own input for the veggies, which I'll do before tomorrow. I made some ground turkey patties that I'm going to throw some marinara sauce and FF cheese on as a fake pizza for tomorrow, which I'm too excited for.

MFP doesn't subtract fiber, so you'll always get a skewed carbs readout.

Also why are you doing PSMF? I hope it's not because of my thread. It will definitely work, but i'm not sure it's a good idea for general weight loss, or for someone who has problems maintaining dieting discipline before. Why not just restrict your calories and go low carb?

MFP doesn't subtract fiber, so you'll always get a skewed carbs readout.

Also why are you doing PSMF? I hope it's not because of my thread. It will definitely work, but i'm not sure it's a good idea for general weight loss, or for someone who has problems maintaining dieting discipline before. Why not just restrict your calories and go low carb?

I've known about it for a long time from Lyle Mcdonald's forum. I'm talking years, not just a few days or weeks. My blood pressure's been really high my last two doctor's visits, so I want to drop some weight and get it down as quickly as I can. That's the real reason for doing PSMF instead of just doing Keto; I don't want to be on BP medication. My next appointment is on the 22nd, so hopefully it'll have dropped some.

I've dropped 40lbs before through Keto, so I'm not completely new to the whole thing. I'll most likely go switch to Keto after the two weeks or month of this. I've been considering doing a bit more of a paleo approach, instead. I wouldn't mind being able to have a piece of fruit here and there without being worried about ketosis and feeling guilty.

Meal 1.
4oz Extra Lean Ground Turkey
2 TBS Marinara
2 Cups Spinach
1/4th Cup FF Cheddar
2 TBS FF Cream Cheese

240 Calories
11g Carbs
3g Fat
42g Protein

Meal 2.
4oz Extra Lean Ground Turkey
2 TBS Marinara
2 Cups Spinach
1/4th Cup FF Cheddar
2 TBS FF Cream Cheese

240 Calories
11g Carbs
3g Fat
42g Protein

Meal 3.
8oz Extra Lean Ground Turkey
3 Cups Spinach
2 TBS Marinara
1/4th Cup FF Cheddar
2 TBS FF Cream Cheese

370 Calories
15g Carbs
4g Fat

Snacks
1 Hot Pickle
1 TBS FF Cream Cheese

30 Calories
4g Carbs
0g Fat
2g Protein

Totals : 880 Calories, 41g Carbs, 10g Fat, 151g Protein

I was tired of chicken, so I just had the four servings of Turkey Burger Pizza's I made last night. This is something I'll end up making pretty often, they were genuinely fucking delicious. I noticed the day was low in calories, so I doubled up on the turkey in meal 3. I'm still a bit low, so I'll probably toss in two scoops of protein before bed for 44g more protein and 240 calories. Maybe not. Not sure yet.

Again, I was too lazy to change the veggies on MFP. So it should be like 32 carbs instead of 41. I've been surprised with my lack of constipation due to the diet and lack of fibre, but I think the mass caffeine is keeping that sorted out.

I've known about it for a long time from Lyle Mcdonald's forum. I'm talking years, not just a few days or weeks. My blood pressure's been really high my last two doctor's visits, so I want to drop some weight and get it down as quickly as I can. That's the real reason for doing PSMF instead of just doing Keto; I don't want to be on BP medication. My next appointment is on the 22nd, so hopefully it'll have dropped some.

I've dropped 40lbs before through Keto, so I'm not completely new to the whole thing. I'll most likely go switch to Keto after the two weeks or month of this. I've been considering doing a bit more of a paleo approach, instead. I wouldn't mind being able to have a piece of fruit here and there without being worried about ketosis and feeling guilty.

There's nothing wrong with having a piece of fruit (or a few cups of fibrous berries, like black or blue berries) while low carb, and ketosis is only one goal on a continuum of low carb eating - it is not an essential benefit. The less carbs the better when it comes to reducing fat.

I found PSMF to be effective, but don't get me wrong. I lost 18 lbs in a month. That being said, it does require some creativity in the kitchen and discipline. I use it now as my standard post-cheat weekend cutting method.

There's nothing wrong with having a piece of fruit (or a few cups of fibrous berries, like black or blue berries) while low carb, and ketosis is only one goal on a continuum of low carb eating - it is not an essential benefit. The less carbs the better when it comes to reducing fat.

I found PSMF to be effective, but don't get me wrong. I lost 18 lbs in a month. That being said, it does require some creativity in the kitchen and discipline. I use it now as my standard post-cheat weekend cutting method.

After a little over a week? I'm going to switch to Keto. I'm running low on both acceptable foods and money, while there's quite a bit of keto-friendly food in the house. So, this'll be switched to a Keto/low carb log.

9 days on the PSMF I went from 379 to 361lbs. A loss of 18lbs, 20lbs was my two week goal.

I'll probably move my daily calories up to around 1800-2000, which is what I was getting when I dropped 40lbs on Keto in about a month and a half a few years ago.

New Two Week Goal (11/8-11/22) : 361 to 351.

My birthday is on NYE, so my goal is to be down to 330-340 on my birthday.

After a little over a week? I'm going to switch to Keto. I'm running low on both acceptable foods and money, while there's quite a bit of keto-friendly food in the house. So, this'll be switched to a Keto/low carb log.

9 days on the PSMF I went from 379 to 361lbs. A loss of 18lbs, 20lbs was my two week goal.

I'll probably move my daily calories up to around 1800-2000, which is what I was getting when I dropped 40lbs on Keto in about a month and a half a few years ago.

New Two Week Goal (11/8-11/22) : 361 to 351.

My birthday is on NYE, so my goal is to be down to 330-340 on my birthday.

Congratulations.

I wouldn't stress the numbers once you're on a LCHF diet, just make sure it's livable on the long term for yourself. To quote my buddy going on a PSMF "it's the smartest way to do something really stupid," LCHF needs to be semi-permanent lifestyle that's "smart" for you in the long term.

gezMkJB.jpg

As long as your body composition/weight is improving I wouldn't stress the speed.

Back