MMA Training NYC / Renzo Gracie Academy

jabstraight968

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey, whats up I'm new to sherdog so Im not sure if im putting this is in the correct forum. My apologies if this has been asked already.

Im looking to start MMA training after my shoulder heals up (4 more weeks of physical therapy) and was wondering which would be the best place. Im 21 (just turned 21 a week ago) reside in the Bronx, but I will travel anywhere in NYC. I boxed for around 2 years, was a blue belt in TKD in my younger days, and spent around 4 months at NY Combat Sambo, but because of the class schedule I cannot train there anymore.

My long term goal is to open up my own MMA school and create fighters/teach, as I love teaching and have a great appreciation for all the arts, not to be a UFC champion. But to teach, one must have experience so I definitely want to compete in BJJ/grappling tournaments, MMA fights, and some boxing matches. The school at the top of my list was Renzo Gracie Academy in Manhattan but that was until I found out about Renzo Gracie Fight Academy in Brooklyn. Its not an affiliate, but an expansion of the main academy , and also cheaper (big part of that is because its in Brooklyn where rent is much lower than Manhattan).

My main questions were, as someone with little grappling experience i.e 4 months, (I know the basic positions like guard, half, side control, mount, etc and basic subs/sweeps) would it be better to start at the school in Brookyln and get to around a blue belt level while also training the Muay Thai and wrestling they have, and then switch to the main academy in Manhattan ? That would save me some money (Im a college student working a shit job lol). Or would there be benefits to starting at the school in Manhattan from the start , which is a very expensive school. I want to be BJJ heavy in my training, but also want to train Muay Thai /wrestling 2-3 times a week which the Brooklyn school includes in the tuition price. At Renzos in Manhattan you have to pay extra for the Muay Thai.

I know Renzos in Manhattan is a huge school and have heard that its not the best for beginners, so I was wondering if Renzo's Brooklyn would be a good option till I reach a blue belt level ? ( and cause its cheaper.) I know Daniel Gracie /Robson Gracie , Daisuke Yamaji and a few others teach there. Not sure about the Muay Thai instructors. Any advice is appreciated !

You are probably overthinking this. When you are starting out, train at a place that you like and will keep coming back to. The most important thing is to develop consistency.
Check out the academy, see if it fits your needs, and if it doesn't, find some place else. The important thing is to just show up and train. Everything else will come in to place afterward.

If you like the cheaper acadamy I'm sure it would be more cost effective and almost as good to just learn fundamentals from the smaller academy and when you feel like you need to challenge yourself more, switch over.
Check them both out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back