MMA Training in NYC

Lemmy576

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all, Happy New Year. I found some old threads, but nothing recent or relevant. I'm looking for an mma gym in NYC (Manhattan or Brooklyn) to train at recreationally. It's very easy to pick an outstanding bjj school (Marcelo, Renzo, etc...), but I really want to work on standup (striking as well as takedowns and defenses) as well. And to be perfectly honest, gi training doesn't excite me as much as everything else. Do you have any recommendations?

I haven't gone in person yet, but I've been eyeing Radical MMA online, but compared to the top bjj schools, I fear that I'm going to be greatly disappointed. Pure MMA is another name that comes to mind, but once again, I'm guessing that little talk over these schools is for a reason.

Thanks!

What neighborhood do you live or work in? Finding a place that is convenient is probably the most important thing (for me, at least), so it will be easier for us to help you if we can figure out what is close to you.

Well, I'll pretty much go anywhere in Manhattan although Midtown and south is easier. Would also consider something in the Park Slope, Brooklyn area.

I haven't gone in person yet, but I've been eyeing Radical MMA online, but compared to the top bjj schools, I fear that I'm going to be greatly disappointed. Pure MMA is another name that comes to mind, but once again, I'm guessing that little talk over these schools is for a reason.
As long as the coaches are legit they're surely worth at least a trial class? Seems unfair to dismiss them just because they're not Renzo.

Bump on this thread. Can folks comment on pricing, focus of gyms (which are more BJJ heavy vs stronger Kickboxing,etc.), demographics, vibe?

Back