MMA Athletes Association: Too late or never too late?

Guru28

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Did Fertitta brothers and Dana knew this was coming? Also Conor wanting a share.

Did they sell the UFC at the right time as they knew they couldn't keep on going with paying fighters less than they deserve even though the sport is getting bigger?

According to GSP and co, they only get 8% of the income. That is too low but demanding 50% maybe way off the mark? Maybe increase from 8% to 25% to begin with?

Would this have been better before the UFC was sold, because they only had to ask 3 people but now they have to demand from WME and 23 celebrities?

Also MMAAA mentioned about no more weight category, what does this mean?

These guys looking pretty smart right now:

fertittabrothers2.png

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Isn't it 8% of the revenue the fighters get? If so that doesn't really mean much unless we know what % of profit the UFC are making from their revenue. That said, 8% does seem very low..

I don't think it matters how many people are invested in the UFC right now. Aren't those celebrities are just minority shareholders? There's probably still only a handful of people that call the shots, no different than before.

selling the company for over 4 billion was pretty amazing by the Fertitta bros. The ufc had an amazing year last year and made what? Only like 150 mil profit?

They got out with a great deal at the right time

Isn't it 8% of the revenue the fighters get? If so that doesn't really mean much unless we know what % of profit the UFC are making from their revenue. That said, 8% does seem very low..

I don't think it matters how many people are invested in the UFC right now. Aren't those celebrities are just minority shareholders? There's probably still only a handful of people that call the shots, no different than before.

Not sure if GSP meant 8% of the revenue or profit lol.

Yes true, there might be just a CEO and Dana who call the shots.

GSP said 8% but it's been reported via financial data that it's closer to 15%.

Most well established sports pay 50%. Is The UFC a well established sport?

selling the company for over 4 billion was pretty amazing by the Fertitta bros. The ufc had an amazing year last year and made what? Only like 150 mil profit?

They got out with a great deal at the right time

They are probably laughing right now. UFC needs to find new stars to meet their projections. Conor out for at least 6 months doesn't help. 2017 will be financially poor for UFC compared to 2016.

GSP said 8% but it's been reported via financial data that it's closer to 15%.

Most well established sports pay 50%. Is The UFC a well established sport?

It is still developing. It is not big as boxing or football (soccer) where it is known globally.

I'm just kinda confused. The ufc had an amazing 2 years last year and this year (mainly due to conor) yet apparently made what? 150 mil in one year?

WME paid over 4 billion for them notto mention borrowed like 2 billion of that (which will have interest to pay back), soooo how many years is it going to realistically take them to make that 4 bil back + any interest from the loan on a company that on a great year made 150 mil profit?

I doubt they're looking to make their money back after like 35-40 years lol

BRING ON THE FREAKSHOW FIGHTS for dem ppv numbesr

It is still developing. It is not big as boxing or football (soccer) where it is known globally.

I think a gradual increase has already been happening. I'm sure 2015 and 16 had a higher % going to athletes.

But an alliance could keep the pressure on the UFC to pay these guys what there worth in the years going forward.

According to GSP and co, they only get 8% of the income. That is too low but demanding 50% maybe way off the mark? Maybe increase from 8% to 25% to begin with
When you're negotiating, you start higher than you want and negotiate down to it. Nobody's ever gotten what they wanted by starting low and hoping to get up to where they want to be.

I'm just kinda confused. The ufc had an amazing 2 years last year and this year (mainly due to conor) yet apparently made what? 150 mil in one year?

WME paid over 4 billion for them notto mention borrowed like 2 billion of that (which will have interest to pay back), soooo how many years is it going to realistically take them to make that 4 bil back + any interest from the loan on a company that on a great year made 150 mil profit?

I read somewhere that the revenue for 2015 was $600M but not sure about the actual profit.

WME paid $4.2B to buy the company which means they are investing on the company and when they sell it in the future they will make their money back depending the revenue and profit margin.

Like you said if it is correct then $150M profit in 2016, they might share the profit or invest within the company. Again if UFC gets bigger and the revenue goes up then in 10 years time, UFC might be worth $6B. Sweet $1.8B profit if they sell it.

Maybe they are just trying to add more value to the UFC and then sell it again in a few years? Otherwise yeah it does seem a lot to pay for a company that is not making a huge profit in comparison to the purchase price.

Maybe they are just trying to add more value to the UFC and then sell it again in a few years? Otherwise yeah it does seem a lot to pay for a company that is not making a huge profit in comparison to the purchase price.

Yes, they are seeing this as an investment and giving shares to 23 celebrities is also an strategy to increase their fan base.

Yes, they are seeing this as an investment and giving shares to 23 celebrities is also an strategy to increase their fan base.

Yeh that's a pretty good move. Also TMZ covering UFC news a lot is probably helping to increase the casual fanbase to (though not sure if TMZ are paid to report UFC news, or TMZ pays UFC ??).

Another point, not sure if it is 100% true regarding GSP demanding $10M per fight. If it is just basic pay then that is just Ludacris.

If it is $10M as a basic pay then I would be like go fuck your self as well. Even Conor doesn't get that amount. His highest pay so far being $3.5M as basic pay.

If star fighters like Conor and GSP get $50M per fight, I think it will be bad for fans as they will do what Floyd did which is only fight once or twice a year. They will be so comfortable with their life they won't have to fight 3-4 times a year.

Having said that yes they need pay rise but UFC needs to increase their pay fairly but not 50%.

"Don't you know that I rep that
Why you gotta let that boy in the building
Don't you know that he about to kill 'em
Don't you know that he about to hurt ya feelings
Cant find pantomime might as well play the villain
I'ma get them why cause I cant babysit 'em
I'ma wipe 'em threat them as bad ass children
Is it evil ya better call them people
How I get down just ain't legal
Money long sort of like Louis Vuitton
I run this shit right here call me marathon (boom)
I blow like a cherry bomb you a small donation
Bitch I'm a telethon west coast million" -Ice Cube.

pumpgirl.gif

BjornRebney-RampageJackson-Bellator.0.jpg

Back