Missing: examples of toehold submissions in high level BJJ

Cobrinha vs Bruno Frazzato 2008 Mundials finals IIRC. Toehold finish in the dying moments

I think toeholds are the single most underutilized submission and it won't be long before someone really starts dominating with them and people start reexamining them as a go-to sub.

Fuck, I could have sworn Jim Miller hit a toehold on Charles Oliveira, but it was a kneebar... Fuzzy memory I guess...

Fuck, I could have sworn Jim Miller hit a toehold on Charles Oliveira, but it was a kneebar... Fuzzy memory I guess...
Frank Mir is the only guy to finish someone with a toe hold in the UFC.

I wanna be the second, but I got some work to do.

Last edited:
Most recently I was talking with this about this with some competitors at Dean Lister's. The consensus was that it's a lower percentage leglock submission (still effective, but just less often than the heel hook) because typically with the toehold you'll be controlling the OTHER leg. I.e. you're toe holding the right foot but have entwined the left leg. This means that there is more rotation and mobility in the leg that you;re attacking. Whereas with the heel hook you have the leg you're attacking isolated (and if you're doing it correctly you've got it isolated from the knee up). Meaning there is much less wiggle room to absorb the rotational energy and attempt to escape

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back