Mike Tyson - all overhand right hand?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fighting taller opponents - it seems that was almost consistently he "way inside".

Flick the jab a time or two, then overhand right.
Straight?
Not so much.
On the inside - sure.
But getting inside?

Then occasionally when his opponent would come to expect the overhand right, he'd slip out left and come back with a left hook.

But - it seems, the overhand right was his secret weapon.

I just watched this fight.

Time after time, that's what he's nailing the dude with.

Tyson had a lot more than just an overhand. He used all sorts of punches and angles. Doubling up on the same side body-head, lead hook, rear hook, uppercuts, overhand right so on.

When I think of beautiful uppercuts I have to think of Tyson.

Fighting taller opponents - it seems that was almost consistently he "way inside".

Straight?
Not so much.
On the inside - sure.
But getting inside?

Then occasionally when his opponent would come to expect the overhand right, he'd slip out left and come back with a left hook.

Its interesting that this thread was made because this week I have been focusing on adding the overhand right to my arsenal as a counter to someone who is aggressive spamming the jab (orthodox vs orthodox).

Mike zambidis is a kick boxer who is an expert at using the overhand right to discourage his taller opponents from even thinking about jabbing.

I rewatched some of Canelo's fights and realized the overhand right as a counter to the jab is one of his sunday punches. He used it on GGG and Amir Khan.

GSP used it this last UFC to deal with Michael Bispings longer jab.

I used to view it as such a crude technique and thought it was only for brawlers but everything has its place. Lesson learned lol.

Straight?
Not so much.
On the inside - sure.
But getting inside?

you kind of stated why, maybe the particular fight you were watching(?) you noticed him throw alot of over hand rights, and fight inside, because he was short/fighting a taller opponent. Thats pretty much the tactic when the guy is taller than you, fight inside, overhands work well, and also going to the body.

You can hardly use the Berbick fight as an example because what he did simply worked. If you can blast your opponent with the same power punches all the time why would you do anything differently?
His technical better perfomances are vs Holmes, Pinkon Thomas, Biggs maybe Tony Tucker allthough he struggled a bit with him

All overhand right?? He had a good left hook, uppercuts and body shot too. In his prime, Tyson was a great body puncher. One of the many things that he stopped doing, when we are talking past prime Tyson, was working the body. IMO. Working the body also chopped down his opponent which is short guy pressure fighting 101. The liver-overhand combo was one of his best combos,

All them other punches though - they're all when he was inside.

To get inside, it seemed, 9 out of 10 times, it's flick the jab, then - overhand right.

I used to view it as such a crude technique and thought it was only for brawlers but everything has its place. Lesson learned lol.

This echoes my sentiments exactly.

I always thought, it's a punch guys just loop out there, when their technique isn't that great or they get tired.

Then I sparred an opponent whom is exceptionally difficult to get inside on.

And this works like magic.

Watching that fight again.

For sure - yes, he has other punches of course.
All the other punches - excellent.

But - his overhand right - that's his bread and butter.
It seems 90% of other shots, come after that.

All them other punches though - they're all when he was inside.

To get inside, it seemed, 9 out of 10 times, it's flick the jab, then - overhand right.

This echoes my sentiments exactly.

I always thought, it's a punch guys just loop out there, when their technique isn't that great or they get tired.

Then I sparred an opponent whom is exceptionally difficult to get inside on.

And this works like magic.
Watch the vids in the thread. Tyson wasn't as much an inside fighter as he was a middle range, aggressive counter puncher.

But yes, the overhand is a very good technique and definitely not one that should be scoffed at.

When I think of beautiful uppercuts I have to think of Tyson.
More beautiful than?

NxmNY.gif

Back