Mike Goldberg to work alongside Jimmy Smith @ Bellator 182

It's a solid team. Bellator is lucky to have them.

Not the biggest jimmy smith fan. Goldberg is a great new addition but they can do better

Coker just needs to grow some balls n make Bellator Strikeforce. Bring it back. Do everything the same from the commentators to the match ups, shit even the name. Change it. I know that sounds harsh to kick out all the straight Bellator guys like the old commentators but to be honest I enjoyed strikeforce a whole lot more then Bellator. And while I was excited when Scott jumped aboard, I feel like since he's been there, instead of making Bellator better and more like Strikeforce was, he's kinda just keeping Bellator the same. Getting Goldberg was a good move plus they made a few really good signings recently, so it has actually gotten a lot better for Bellator these last few months but they gotta keep it up especially since Zuffa is gone . technically Bellator has more MMA experience then some of these wme guys so they need to take advantage

I agree with the poster above, they should probably change the name from Bellator to something else.. "Bellator" is just, too much Bjorn Rebney's product I think. Create a new name, a new belt, keep bringing in good guys and everything should keep falling into place.

Coker just needs to grow some balls n make Bellator Strikeforce. Bring it back. Do everything the same from the commentators to the match ups, shit even the name. Change it. I know that sounds harsh to kick out all the straight Bellator guys like the old commentators but to be honest I enjoyed strikeforce a whole lot more then Bellator. And while I was excited when Scott jumped aboard, I feel like since he's been there, instead of making Bellator better and more like Strikeforce was, he's kinda just keeping Bellator the same. Getting Goldberg was a good move plus they made a few really good signings recently, so it has actually gotten a lot better for Bellator these last few months but they gotta keep it up especially since Zuffa is gone . technically Bellator has more MMA experience then some of these wme guys so they need to take advantage

Don't worry he is already doing it.

But be careful what you wish for. Because Coker is quickly approaching the same spot Strikeforce was in and that spot has ended so many other orgs before. It's the spot where the investors have up the amount of money and want the results. They aren't about taking the time over 5 or 10 years to build something. They want results and they want them quickly. If Coker's ratings are running similar at the end of 2018 I'm not sure what Spike/Viacom will end up doing. I just know you can keep throwing millions at something that is bringing in the same ratings as throwing 100's of thousands at it (nutshell....Bjorn ratings vs Coker ratings).

Don't worry he is already doing it.

But be careful what you wish for. Because Coker is quickly approaching the same spot Strikeforce was in and that spot has ended so many other orgs before. It's the spot where the investors have up the amount of money and want the results. They aren't about taking the time over 5 or 10 years to build something. They want results and they want them quickly. If Coker's ratings are running similar at the end of 2018 I'm not sure what Spike/Viacom will end up doing. I just know you can keep throwing millions at something that is bringing in the same ratings as throwing 100's of thousands at it (nutshell....Bjorn ratings vs Coker ratings).

It's actually a little more complex than that. in a time where everyone is cutting the cord, Coker seems to be holding more than his own. Coker's spike has around 10% less eyeballs on it than was the case under rebney.

Cousin Oliver was the one who highlighted the fact that Coker's Bellator is actually averaging more than the network average, while rebneys was averaging less than the network average at his time.

Also add in the fact that Coker is doing international events while rebney didn't do any. International shows are the lowest rated events in America for obvious reason.

With all that in mind, the fact that Coker is still doing similar prelim numbers to rebney isn't anything to scoff at. He is avaraging a lot more of you consider the +7 ratings they put out

Things are much more complex than just "who gets the bigger numbers"

Add in Bas Rutten and you're in for some good commentary!

Nice addition to the Bellator booth.

It's actually a little more complex than that. in a time where everyone is cutting the cord, Coker seems to be holding more than his own. Coker's spike has around 10% less eyeballs on it than was the case under rebney.

Cousin Oliver was the one who highlighted the fact that Coker's Bellator is actually averaging more than the network average, while rebneys was averaging less than the network average at his time.

Also add in the fact that Coker is doing international events while rebney didn't do any. International shows are the lowest rated events in America for obvious reason.

With all that in mind, the fact that Coker is still doing similar prelim numbers to rebney isn't anything to scoff at. He is avaraging a lot more of you consider the +7 ratings they put out

Things are much more complex than just "who gets the bigger numbers"

We all know its much more complex then that but at the same time it really isn't. Spike is always going to be worried about ratings first and foremost. They expect better gates in bigger arenas when they put out better fighters, its a giving and it doesn't matter who is in charge.

Nobody invest tens of millions into something to make a 5% gain when you can invest few hundred grand and get similar results.

Many of us know Spike has less viewers now than before by about 10 million homes. But if your only avg. around 700K that means less than 1% of the people your channel reaches even watches. So having 10 million less homes is almost minimal in the big picture. Maybe you loose out on about 75K of viewers. Spike isn't investing all this money in Bellator to pull in an extra 100K per a show. I'm sure they want the avg. to be a much wider margin than the crap show Bjorn was putting on that was costing Spike less than 50K a show many more times than not. To this point it isn't happening. I hope things get better because if they don't I'm not sure how long they'll continue to invest in it.

Like I said before careful what you wish for. We all love for Bellator to be super successful and be a real alternative for all fighters. But in the sports world this doesn't happen very often. Usually one form/org/league of the sport reigns supreme. I just think to have a true UFC vs "X" org time has gone by and its basically the UFC=MMA and everyone else is fighting for the little bit of scraps left over.

We all know its much more complex then that but at the same time it really isn't. Spike is always going to be worried about ratings first and foremost. They expect better gates in bigger arenas when they put out better fighters, its a giving and it doesn't matter who is in charge.

Nobody invest tens of millions into something to make a 5% gain when you can invest few hundred grand and get similar results.

Many of us know Spike has less viewers now than before by about 10 million homes. But if your only avg. around 700K that means less than 1% of the people your channel reaches even watches. So having 10 million less homes is almost minimal in the big picture. Maybe you loose out on about 75K of viewers. Spike isn't investing all this money in Bellator to pull in an extra 100K per a show. I'm sure they want the avg. to be a much wider margin than the crap show Bjorn was putting on that was costing Spike less than 50K a show many more times than not. To this point it isn't happening. I hope things get better because if they don't I'm not sure how long they'll continue to invest in it.

Like I said before careful what you wish for. We all love for Bellator to be super successful and be a real alternative for all fighters. But in the sports world this doesn't happen very often. Usually one form/org/league of the sport reigns supreme. I just think to have a true UFC vs "X" org time has gone by and its basically the UFC=MMA and everyone else is fighting for the little bit of scraps left over.

We can both agree that a broadcaster like spike cares about ratings, a lot. But i'd argue that there is something they care about even more. Net figures. Now I'm not saying I know what their finances look like, but one can only look at things logically.
Logically, they either like the net figures being shown by Bellator, or they at least see an end game in a couple of years. I side with the latter because I fully think Bellator isn't making Viacom a dime currently.

From a business standpoint, what they probably see are multiple revenue streams. That's what a show like Bellator offers, or at least has the potential to offer in the future.

Bellator has around 140+ deal worldwide, granted few are monetized or in prime time slots, but they cast a much bigger net than a show like, let's say cops.

Cops isn't casting a world wide net for Viacom the way Bellator is.

Even if cops outdoes Bellator in the ratings department, there is only one revenue stream for Viacom by airing cops, and cops is on very few networks. granted tv ads are an important revenue stream, but my point is that it's only one. You can't slap sponsors on cop cars or sell cops merchandise.

With A sporting event, you get the tv ads, along with official sponsors like Miller lite, Dave and busters, and whatever else they can slap on the mat. You get gate numbers, consesssion sale, merchandise sales, higher possibility of international tv deals, ppv(not easy, but still a notable possibility) ect.

Ratings are very important, but but net figur are key.

Again, don't misrepresent my stance and assume I'm saying Bellator is raking in the dough. I'm not. I'm just trying to think logically. Logically, a show with many different revenue streams has the potential to be much more profitable than a show with just one revenue stream.

At the end of the day though, all we can do is wait and see what spike does. Time will tell if Viacom sees return on Bellator.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Bellator is lacking the enthusiasm/excitement when fighters are being introduced? Michael c Williams is a knowledgeable guy and a fight fan, but he just doesn't have the enthusiasm. A big thing that differentiates UFC from Bellator is the enthusiasm and charisma that Bruce buffer brings into the cage. Bellator really needs to bring in a ring announcer with the type of excitement and crazienesss that Bruce Buffet has. That's just my humble opinion.

I was critical of Goldie at the end, but I got to admit I kind of miss him. Maybe the sport is too main stream now, maybe it was better when it was a little more fringe.

<Goldie11>

Back