Miguel Cotto: Juan Manuel Marquez Fight is Very Viable

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Considered to be two of the best Latin American fighters in recent years, Cotto and Marquez had already tried to negotiate a fight in 2016, but they were never able to reach an agreement on some of the details - specifically the catch-weight. "The cards are on the table. The fight with Juan Manuel is very viable, a fight that can become a reality, a fight that can happen. What's left to do is reach an agreement. We have to sit at the same table and reach an agreement as to the points of the fight," Cotto said to Gople a Golpe. - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/miguel-c...ight-very-viable--112871#sthash.7Y6p5It4.dpuf

"An interesting fight, a good opportunity. The great legacy of Miguel Cotto, that would be an important factor. I have always insisted how I feel. We are doing well, we are training, not at hundred percent, but we are training. You have to think about whether or not you can do that fight in terms of health and for the fans of boxing. I want to make a competitive fight," said Márquez. - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/miguel-c...ight-very-viable--112871#sthash.7Y6p5It4.dpuf

No real interest in this, considering they will never again fight for a world title and both have a good chance of retiring after that bout.

Last I heard was that Marquez was trying to call the shots and make Cotto fight at 147, a weight he said he couldn't make like 10 years ago.

I think its about as interesting a fight as can be made for either but I don't need to see a weight drained Cotto in there.

No real interest in this, considering they will never again fight for a world title and both have a good chance of retiring after that bout.
There is some interest. Both hall of famers, Mexico-Puerto Rico, each have decent fanbases.
If both have interests in continuing their careers, they might as well face each other. Best fight to be made for both of them.

There is some interest. Both hall of famers, Mexico-Puerto Rico, each have decent fanbases.
If both have interests in continuing their careers, they might as well face each other. Best fight to be made for both of them.

Reminds me of Jones/Hopkins 2. Won't mean much for either guys legacy but it's two hall of famers so why not? It's better than that, too, because both guys have historically been in very exciting fights. Would've loved to see it a few years ago though.

Reminds me of Jones/Hopkins 2. Won't mean much for either guys legacy but it's two hall of famers so why not? It's better than that, too, because both guys have historically been in very exciting fights. Would've loved to see it a few years ago though.
I actually like this matchup but the longer Marquez sits on the shelf, the less I want to see it.

Back