Crime Michigan School Shooter's Mom on Trial for Manslaughter (Update: Guilty on all 4 counts) (Update 3: Father guilty on all counts)

James has elected not to testify in his own defense, instead calling his sister to the stand to discuss what she saw during a family visit to the home.

Prosecution and defense have rested. Closing arguments and jury deliberation to come.

Jury deliberated for 90 mins Wednesday with no verdict. They are back in deliberations this morning.

Jury deliberated for 90 mins Wednesday with no verdict. They are back in deliberations this morning.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

What a terrible cry for help from the child and what a cold response from the parents to just hand waive it. I wonder if the father suspected something was wrong but was in denial or if he really didn't care to know.

Last edited:
This could lead down a very slippery slope and create a dangerous precedent. I'm not in favor of it.
Yeah it’s hard being logical. It’s entirely subjective and meant to target a specific race. It also implies only innocent kids in cases like this are important.

Surely, all the kids in gangs killing people will have the same type of investigation into their parents. And of course the dead beat fathers will be tracked down.

It's a result I'm happy with.

People have to be held accountable for their role in gun violence. And, yes, I think this should apply to low level crime as well, not just mass shootings.

If we want to protect the 2nd Amendment from excessive regulation then personal accountability must be enforced at a high level. If someone uses their right to bear arms to create a dangerous situation for other people, the right answer is not to restrict other people's right to bear arms. The right answer is to come down hard on the people who exercised their rights irresponsibly.

This sounds like a good idea, but the implications of this could be absolutely devastating for the black community. Now we're going to lock their moms up too?

This looks like a road to hell being paved with good intentions type scenario to me.

I agree with you. You could go arrest a lot of parents that have children out there bangin. Very slippery slope....
Scrolled back to find other folks that get the big picture. The big picture is something the current flock of clapping seals never see.

We all know this isn’t really a “precedent” in that it is not intended to be applied fairly. There is a reason stories like this get unlimited media attention to drive false narratives and the far greater issues ignored.

I'm fine with this however why is it not done with a very similar case.

Here the only charge is gun related and nothing else. Even if convicted she will do very little time.

Why the difference.

"Woman's 'illegal buying spree' armed killer of 3 Minnesota first responders, prosecutor says"​

She should get the full 15 years plus be charged for the murders.

Should they have done more to prevent the shooting? Yes, but that’s a tort, not a crime. This is straying into collective guilt territory.

I'm fine with this however why is it not done with a very similar case.

Here the only charge is gun related and nothing else. Even if convicted she will do very little time.

Why the difference.

"Woman's 'illegal buying spree' armed killer of 3 Minnesota first responders, prosecutor says"​

She should get the full 15 years plus be charged for the murders.
I think the difference is that the parents have a higher duty when it comes to their kid and they knew he was a potential threat to others since they had been told as much by school officials. They ignored the warnings.

In the case in your link, the buying was illegal but it doesn't appear that this woman had reason to know the guy was going to harm anyone.

Should they have done more to prevent the shooting? Yes, but that’s a tort, not a crime. This is straying into collective guilt territory.
Not really. They're being convicted for their specific actions, not the son's. Hence involuntary manslaughter and not murder. They were criminally negligent but didn't intend for anything like this to happen.

Not really. They're being convicted for their specific actions, not the son's. Hence involuntary manslaughter and not murder. They were criminally negligent but didn't intend for anything like this to happen.
And they'll be punished for it appropriately and it will set a precedent that will be good moving forward. Win - win - win.

I think the difference is that the parents have a higher duty when it comes to their kid and they knew he was a potential threat to others since they had been told as much by school officials. They ignored the warnings.

In the case in your link, the buying was illegal but it doesn't appear that this woman had reason to know the guy was going to harm anyone.

She knew he was a felon she knew he was up to something.

She should be held accountable for the crime

What actions? Buying the gun in the first place or not having it secure?

So what's the lesson here?

Stop buying your dork kids guns, ya hillbillies?

What actions? Buying the gun in the first place or not having it secure?
Not having it secure while knowing that their minor son was having thoughts about harming others.

Responsible parents, when told by the school and a psychologist, that their son was thinking about such things would make sure that their firearm is locked up and inaccessible. Responsible gun owners, if they know they have a mentally unstable person staying in their home, would make sure their guns are properly secured away from that person.

These adults failed on both accounts - as responsible parents and as responsible gun owners.

She knew he was a felon she knew he was up to something.

She should be held accountable for the crime
She is being held accountable for the crime that she reasonably could have foreseen - possession of illegal firearms.

But knowing that he's "up to something" doesn't mean she knows he's planning to kill anyone. And, per the article, it doesn't appear that this was premeditated killing from the dude. The Michigan shooter was definitely premeditated.

In your opinion, what part of the story tells us that this woman could reasonably have predicted that this man was going to kill someone?

So what's the lesson here?

Stop buying your dork kids guns, ya hillbillies?
Not really. When taught proper gun safety kids can handle the responsibility of dealing with a firearm just fine.

The lesson here is to keep your firearms secure and inaccessible to your kid if your they exhibit signs of self-harm or wanting to harm others.

Not having it secure while knowing that their minor son was having thoughts about harming others.

Responsible parents, when told by the school and a psychologist, that their son was thinking about such things would make sure that their firearm is locked up and inaccessible. Responsible gun owners, if they know they have a mentally unstable person staying in their home, would make sure their guns are properly secured away from that person.

These adults failed on both accounts - as responsible parents and as responsible gun owners.
They're still being punished for someone else's actions. I believe that he was charged as an adult, as well.

Back