Michael Johnson busting up Edson Barboza

Michael Johnson is turning into a gigantic waste of talent
Dude has no fight IQ once he gets hit

You sound like you haven't seen any of his fights except for his last one. He has one of the best chins in lightweight. Can't remember him getting rocked too bad other than gaethje fight

20170707092323_GettyImages810589014.JPG

The man I once considered the Michael Jordan of MMA striking. :(

You sound like you haven't seen any of his fights except for his last one. He has one of the best chins in lightweight. Can't remember him getting rocked too bad other than gaethje fight
Didn't say anything about him getting rocked
I said after he gets hit
He gets hit, and he wants to brawl
Against Gaethje he took a headbutt early, and immediately got off his bike and decided to meet Gaethje's aggression with sharp counters - which worked, but also got him clipped and caught with leg kicks. Then in round two he started to go back to the body, then he got hit, went back to war and found himself caught again and rocked

Similarly against Diaz, he found himself winning until about midway through the second when he got clipped and laughed at, then abandoned kicking the legs in favor of exchanging and ended up losing that fight.

Against Dariush, which I thought he won, he went through spurts (though rarer than those first two examples) where he'd oblidge getting hit to try to counter with his left - which made that fight closer than it had any business being

Against Khabib he was defending takedowns early, until he decided it was a good idea to jump a guillotine iirc, not him getting clipped but still shows that his concentration is a factor in decision making

His striking is somehow technical and bad looking at the same time. His punches look like he's pawing at them. Fun striker to watch for sure. Barboza usually struggles against fighters with good hands.

His punches are terrible, but his footwork is sublime - his feet are always in the right position when he's throwing so even his weird shovel hooks can land and land with power. Henri Hooft did a good job with him, better to have great footwork and awkward punches, than orthodox punches but no footwork to land them

His punches are terrible, but his footwork is sublime - his feet are always in the right position when he's throwing so even his weird shovel hooks can land and land with power. Henri Hooft did a good job with him, better to have great footwork and awkward punches, than orthodox punches but no footwork to land them

Trueeee good point! Plus his speed hides his bad habits a little bit.

Even a lot of his "straight lefts" look like hooks..

He has no defensive consideration when he's throwing his hands. He lacks completeness and is often wide open.
Trueeee good point! Plus his speed hides his bad habits a little bit.

Even a lot of his "straight lefts" look like hooks..
The thing is he's fully capable of jacking fighters up with straights and intelligent hooks, he just so rarely does it
I agree though, his speed hides a lot, it certainly helps when you can hit a guy two times before he hits you once

Having a good chin means you have a good fight IQ?

{<huh}

He reminds me of Melvin guillard, not because he's black but he's got crazy speed and big power, he's great at darting around and winging bombs. However he has no defense while he's throwing, does really stupid shit and seems to give up once he gets taken down

MJ is a good fighter and he´s been fighting top 5-10 guys now. Not easy to have a winning streak when you´re fighting the type of dudes that he´s facing in the deepest division in the world.

Seen his fights? The dude has rekt the fighters he should win...but can't get past the tougher fights. I got him winning vs Gaethje only because I though he'll able to pick Justin apart...but no...he has to go for broke and play right into Gaethje's game...

Barboza is sooooo overrated. can't take a punch to save his life just stands there and eats punches when he faces an aggressor

Back