Michael Johnson and Kamaru Usman Going Ridiculously Hard

you get better?

i don't think a lot of people who dislike this kind of thing have actually had to prepare for a fight in the ring versus another person who is preparing to kick your ass.

Johnson is learning how to deal with someone who is bigger and better than he is. contrary to popular belief, there are ways to beat someone who is bigger than you and has better skills than you.
Diminishing returns though. There’s no point in 8 rounds of Kamaru ground and pounding you lmao

you get better?

i don't think a lot of people who dislike this kind of thing have actually had to prepare for a fight in the ring versus another person who is preparing to kick your ass.

Johnson is learning how to deal with someone who is bigger and better than he is. contrary to popular belief, there are ways to beat someone who is bigger than you and has better skills than you.

How exactly do you beat someone who is bigger and has better skills?

Most of Johnson's techinques don't even work against a fighter of Usman's size and skill. He would have to put on at least 20 lbs of muscle first. And he would still lose most likely.

Diminishing returns though. There’s no point in 8 rounds of Kamaru ground and pounding you lmao

it's not diminishing returns if Johnson learns how to get out from under him or how to nullify the damage. it's only useless if he never learns from it.

if Michael Johnson is just taking a beating to take a beating and never changing, than he needs to think about what he's doing or someone close to him needs to recognize his plateau and stop him from just acquiring damage.

what's SUPPOSED to happen during these sessions is you're taking the beating to gain experience, knowledge, and understanding of fighting. if that's not happening, than the fighter who's taking the beatings needs to retire.

They all did that at Blackzillians (or most of them did anyway) back in the day. There was a video of Mitrione giving decently hard shots to a girl (albeit a 6'5 220 lb girl, but still) lol.

This may be part of why Rashad suddenly sucks so bad.
good point.

gym wars are no joke.

sad..

I think were moving to a place in MMA where we are looking beyond such things In terms of training though.

How exactly do you beat someone who is bigger and has better skills?

Most of Johnson's techinques don't even work against a fighter of Usman's size and skill. He would have to put on at least 20 lbs of muscle first. And he would still lose most likely.

"Most of Johnson's techniques don't even work against a fighter of Usman's size and skill" that's the problem, he needs techniques THAT DO WORK.

i don't know, haven't you ever seen a smaller guy beat a bigger guy in MMA?

Dan Henderson KO'd Fedor. Fedor fought 2 weight classes above Dan and has a much higher skill level in MMA than Dan does.

Melvin Manhoef KO'd Mark Hunt. Mark Hunt was like 3 weight classes bigger and lost to Manhoef, even though he was a K-1 grand prix champion and Melvin would never be able to make that.

those are ACTUAL FIGHTS. Michael Johnson can't even beat someone like that in sparring, why? because he's NOT THAT GOOD YET?

Respect to Usman for giving MJ advice while simultaneously beating his ass.

Johnson lit him the F up at the end there. If he was in Usmans size, he likely would have dropped him.

That is some rough sparring.

Come on down to Mayweather's on sparring day, Virgil Hunter's on sparring day, Robert Garcia's on sparring day, World Class Boxing with Karim Mayfield on sparring day, or my gym Title Boxing on sparring days.. It's a real fight with headgear and bigger gloves, for sparring sessions. Come out to UF/TAM, AKA or Diaz Academy on sparring days.. only way to train for a fight, is to actually fight.

Keyword 'headgear', now go look at the OP again.

Always appreciate the input from someone who has been there done that.. it's easy to get on sherdog and talk about how you think things should go but you never really know if you've never done it. Don't get when people try to tell you about things they have little knowledge and 0 experience in. Lol

I do not pretend to know more then the next, just simply speak off my own experiences. One can laugh at me or listen to what I have to say. I have had my ass kicked in front of my mother, wife and kids in the cage.. so the haters will be there, but it's really nothing to me in the end. I enjoy the trolls, because it gives me a dif perspective of how others view things. I never claim to be good at it, but I can say I tried it and have no regrets in doing so.

What’s your record in mma and boxing?
2-2 As a Pro in MMA, 2-1 As an Am in MMA.. 3-0 As an Am in Boxing.. 1-2 As an Am in Kickboxing. I never fought to be "known" or in the UFC, I suck at fighting, but seem to be a decent Trainer thus far. I did it for hobby at the age of 35, and to get my mind over my cancer that I was battling when I turned Pro. Plus, I figured as a fan of the sport, it was best to "try" the sport I was a fan of. Same with BMX racing and motocross, I had to try it. I grew up in Martial Arts, mom is a judoka and pops was a Golden Gloves boxer back in his day, so I lucked out and grew up around Combat Sports.. Bunkerd's oldest son was one of my best friends growing up, so Fairtex, etc.. was simply a place to hangout after school, which led to training, etc..

Not even all that bad compared to his sparring footage with Nikiey Holtzkien

Keyword 'headgear', now go look at the OP again.
Yet I was replying to the person saying Boxers don't spar as hard. In MMA, I've never once used headgear to train, unless I was recovering from a concussion, which I had after getting destroyed in my Pro Debut first round.

Why would you go 100% in sparring?

Worked for Chute Boxe. Not so great for longevity.

MMA is full of meatheads, add to that Dutch trainers who are used to going all out in the gym. Look at how boxers spar in comparison, night and day.
Boxers spar harder than MMA fighters spar. I was wondering why are top shelf boxers able to keep a high level of performance even when they are tired in the late rounds, but top shelf MMA fighters don't.

I think it is because boxers train closer to the way they fight. So, their training conditioning translates closer to fight conditioning. This has to be part of the reason, along with other factors of course.

If every top shelf boxing fight was like, the sport wouldn't have become so boring and unbearable.

Come on down to Mayweather's on sparring day, Virgil Hunter's on sparring day, Robert Garcia's on sparring day, World Class Boxing with Karim Mayfield on sparring day, or my gym Title Boxing on sparring days.. It's a real fight with headgear and bigger gloves, for sparring sessions. Come out to UF/TAM, AKA or Diaz Academy on sparring days.. only way to train for a fight, is to actually fight.

Gotta agree with this

The only way to be ready for a real fight is being in real fight situation

That’s when you learn how to pace yourself n be composed

Doing drills will never do that

They shouldn't be training like that, that was the wrong thing to do

I was surprised how hard they were throwing at the end of the round. MJ tagged Usman with 4 hard shots.

Even with 16-oz gloves, that shit can't be good for your brain.

Someday MMA fighters and trainers will learn what NFL players know now: it's not worth it getting that much wear-and-tear in practice.

Back