Mexican Fighters and Mariachi Music

Triangle Choke

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just have a question since finishing the first ep of 24/7:

How long has the tradition existed of Mexican fighters entering to Mariachi music? I've always enjoyed seeing/hearing it before big fights and just wondered if anyone had any info regarding who started it, who popularized it, etc...

I don't know how to answer this. Do you speak Spanish? Most Mariachi music is about crazy shit. Here I'll give an example, my current favorite Mariachi song with subtitles:

So the subjects are often War, crime, misery, Death, etc. Any wonder Fighters would like it? Plus, asking why Mexicans would come out to Mariachi is also akin to asking what's up with them eating tortillas, it just is.

I don't know how to answer this. Do you speak Spanish? Most Mariachi music is about crazy shit. Here I'll give an example, my current favorite Mariachi song with subtitles:

So the subjects are often War, crime, misery, Death, etc. Any wonder Fighters would like it? Plus, asking why Mexicans would come out to Mariachi is also akin to asking what's up with them eating tortillas, it just is.

haha, fair enough.

No, Im not Spanish speaking, I've just always liked watching their entrances with the live band all in the ring. Just wanted to see if anyone has any info on the history since theres little to find on it online.

Good thread.

Im not going to lie, I love this kind of music. I love it when they came out to music like this.

I wouldnt consider that Mariachi music. More like a "Norte

Just one thing: that's a "corrido" or to be more accurate, a "narco-corrido", not a mariachi song...biggest differences are the subjects (corridos are, like you said, about death, crime, drug-dealing, vendettas, etc., mariachi songs are usually about lost love, good times and friendship), corrido bands often use electric instruments (bass, guitars) and drums while mariachi music is mostly acoustic with guitars, trumpets and violins. I could go on and on but you're right in your last sentence: asking why Mexicans would come out to Mariachi is also akin to asking what's up with them eating tortillas.

This is mariachi music:

YouTube - "SON DE LA NEGRA" MARIACHI NUEVO TECALITLAN

Just one thing: that's a "corrido" or to be more accurate, a "narco-corrido", not a mariachi song...biggest differences are the subjects (corridos are, like you said, about death, crime, drug-dealing, vendettas, etc., mariachi songs are usually about lost love, good times and friendship), corrido bands often use electric instruments (bass, guitars) and drums while mariachi music is mostly acoustic with guitars, trumpets and violins. I could go on and on but you're right in your last sentence: asking why Mexicans would come out to Mariachi is also akin to asking what's up with them eating tortillas.

This is mariachi music:

YouTube - "SON DE LA NEGRA" MARIACHI NUEVO TECALITLAN

For hte most part you're correct. But both styles can be about love. "Cumbias" (sp?) which is kind of like a corrido... is along the same thing. "Puerta Negra" is no Mariachi song but its about love.

"No me se rajar" can be done with both styles.

That said. Why we talking about this on a Boxing forum

Volver Volver......................

From what I understood a lot of the more modern Mariachi also started blurring the subject lines, at least in Guadalajara where my roommate is from.

That said. Why we talking about this on a Boxing forum

Why not? The thread asked about both, the music and the Fighters, or why the Fighters would prefer the music. It's difficult to discern sometimes, but I'm going to be paying more attention to who comes out to "Mariachi" versus "Corrido."

From what I understood a lot of the more modern Mariachi also started blurring the subject lines, at least in Guadalajara where my roommate is from.

Why not? The thread asked about both, the music and the Fighters, or why the Fighters would prefer the music. It's difficult to discern sometimes, but I'm going to be paying more attention to who comes out to "Mariachi" versus "Corrido."

Two things i've noticed. Mexican-AMerican fighters tend to come out with the Mexican flag colors more so than the Mexican-National fighters. And Mexican-American fighters come out to Mariachi more often than Mexican-National fighters.

And I think that only irritates Mexican Nationals. Hence the bit of dissonance. Also, your from El Paso...lol. I remember when Diego (my roommate) first started Boxing with me and first saw guys like Rocky Juarez and Juan Diaz, and I told him how they don't get a lot of support from Mexican Nationals, he looked at me with a Dead-ass straight face and said "Dude...Tejanos aren't Mexican."

And I think that only irritates Mexican Nationals. Hence the bit of dissonance. Also, your from El Paso...lol. I remember when Diego (my roommate) first started Boxing with me and first saw guys like Rocky Juarez and Juan Diaz, and I told him how they don't get a lot of support from Mexican Nationals, he looked at me with a Dead-ass straight face and said "Dude...Tejanos aren't Mexican."

Well he's right in a sense. They are, technically, American. The sad part is that Mexican-american fans also side more with the Mexican-Nationals than Mexican-Americans.

You see the colors more with Mexican-American fighters because its the Mexican flag and thats the best way to shows they're Mexican. Where as Mexican-National fighters seem to represent more the City/town, State or Region which they live in the Country.

Mexican-American fighters in my opinion need to wear the colors alot less.

I dont even consider De La Hoya vs. Trinidad as a historical PR vs. Mexico fight.

Maybe PR vs. American.

I mean lets be honest. Alot of Mexicans were going for Trinidad. Especially, at the time, Mexicans in their late 20's and older who grew up as hardcore Chavez fans. (we know what happen with that)

But it really wasnt a Mexico vs. PR fight. Cotto vs. Margarito... that was a Mexico vs. PR fight. (Eventho Margarito was born here in the US I believe but grew up in Mexico and is accepted as a Mexican National it seems-anyway)

I dont even consider De La Hoya vs. Trinidad as a historical PR vs. Mexico fight.

Maybe PR vs. American.

I mean lets be honest. Alot of Mexicans were going for Trinidad. Especially, at the time, Mexicans in their late 20's and older who grew up as hardcore Chavez fans. (we know what happen with that)

But it really wasnt a Mexico vs. PR fight. Cotto vs. Margarito... that was a Mexico vs. PR fight. (Eventho Margarito was born here in the US I believe but grew up in Mexico and is accepted as a Mexican National it seems-anyway)

I do remember that the majority of the latin american community were going for Trinidad. I know my parents were (My mother is colombian and my father is ecuadorian). I was going for De La Hoya because he was popular (I was a little boy when the fight occured haha). So basically De La Hoya and Tito was a latin america-united states fight. A culture clash if you will

IN Houston the crowd seemed to favor Marquez more than it did Diaz. Which is almost sad. You cna say its because JMM is a great Boxer and top P4P fighter but Mexican-American's prefer Mexican-National fighters over the Mexican-Americans.

As for DLH vs. Trinidad being a culture clash? I guess you can put it that way. The fight was interesting because it seemed 100% of PR were for Trinidad and Mexican-Americans were 50/50. While the casual fan base outside those demographics seemed to favor DLH. Culture clash indeed.

Haha, my dad always told me not to sport Mexican colors or tattoos because thats for chicanos and that I should have the Mexican pride only in my heart. I am Mexican American btw, but my dad raised me to think like him. Mariachi>>>>>>Corridos

YouTube - Vicente Fernandez - El Rey

I always put it down to national pride. There is always something rousing about seeing a fighter come out to music associated with his nation, and the crowd reaction.

Kultar Gill the Indian MMA fighter always comes out to Bhangra, which is traditional Indian Punjabi Folk music. I love it, you feel he is representing his people.

I hate it when they walk out to mariachi music because it suddenly makes me hungry.

Back