Mental Barrier When Conditioning Shins With Bag

cheemeng96

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi, I have a slight problem with my muay thai roundhouse kick on the bag. I'm quite sure that my technique has no problem, that my shin will "cut" into the bag instead of kicking with my instep. After 100s of kicks and couple of sparring though, my shins begin to get bruised. This would be a good time to continue to kick tho so that I can condition my shin. However, despite me telling myself to ignore the pain and forcing myself to kick, I realise that I would subconsciously use my instep to hit the bag instead of the shin which i could do so earlier on. Is there any way I can try to overcome this? Coz I feel that its more of a psychological barrier thats preventing me from using my bruised shin to kick due to the pain (which i have been trying to force myself to ignore it) than a technique problem itself. Any tips to share if yall encounter similar problems when yall are trying to condition yr body? Thanks!

If your shins are getting bruised, stop kicking. Conditioning your shins doesn't happen overnight. If your shins are so bruised that you can't kick properly anymore, just stop because chances are you're just going to get injured and have to take time off from training. Just go practise something else and get back to kicking next training. That tough guy "pain is only temporary" mentality in training will only get you injured.

Also, post your training questions in the standup technique subforum next time. You'll get better answers there.

Back