Melee Weapon

the-road-to-el-dorado-both.gif

Also, the flashlight idea someone had is great. I have one of those on my nightstand. The LEDs are bright enough to get hot.

I think hammers are better. There are machete fights on google where both guys whack away at one another dozens of times, including in the head and neck, and they just keep on fighting. It's like a cat fight but worse. Giving a guy with a knife or gun injuries that will kill him in three days isn't great if he keeps shooting or stabbing you.

Hammers, on the other hand, change the personality of the person hit by them immediately.
You think hammer would be more effective in scaring them than a bladed weapon? I honestly want some long melee weapon so I dont get hit. I would try to get some long and light swords if possible. Batons are great too for the street.

You think hammer would be more effective in scaring them than a bladed weapon? I honestly want some long melee weapon so I dont get hit. I would try to get some long and light swords if possible.

If you show a weapon, they might still come. If they do come, then you might be in a double bad situation where they don't respond to fear or pain.

Swords are for getting first blood in a duel, or breaking lines with fear, or wounding someone on a drive by so they won't keep fighting. They aren't great against a madman. For a madman, you want to make them shut the fuck up now. Hammers.

Edit: the other thing for a sword is like, you can knock someone out with one, and that's mostly what you have to do against a serious person. But hammers do that better.

Last edited:
Maybe one of those extendable batons? As a practical option.

Hammer and axe ( I mean things for job not death secret weapons , i.e daily stuff used in construction industry and forestry ) are very effective tools to damage ppl.

Especially if classic attack methods aren't used.

Like go first to damage legs, guard and after this for head.

Like with knifes ppl usually are posting about combat knifes, military knifes while in reality majority of deliveries in intensive care units and morgues are from casual household knifes.

Big Maglight. Less conspicuous. Just be careful about not losing it in a scuffle so it doesn't get used on you. I told my ex that about her taser. Have some basic understanding of its use and how to weild it if necessary.

Obligatory: The best fight is the fight avoided. And if you do have to fight in that situation, don't lose.

Last edited:
upload_2022-12-25_6-43-5.png

I also have this if tasers are legal in your neck of the woods. Less chance you can lose it and it goes off on contact when your palm presses the trigger on the back.

A naturally protective breed or dog in the house is a great weapon. They will alert you immediately if there is someone breaking in so that you have adequate time to grab your baseball bat or whatever.. Plus they will bite and distract the suspect so that you can bash him with the bat easily. Like playing tee ball. You probably wouldn't have to do anything though. The dog would be enough in 99% of situations.

the-road-to-el-dorado-both.gif

Also, the flashlight idea someone had is great. I have one of those on my nightstand. The LEDs are bright enough to get hot.

I think hammers are better. There are machete fights on google where both guys whack away at one another dozens of times, including in the head and neck, and they just keep on fighting. It's like a cat fight but worse. Giving a guy with a knife or gun injuries that will kill him in three days isn't great if he keeps shooting or stabbing you.

Hammers, on the other hand, change the personality of the person hit by them immediately.

Agree. I think things like hammers are great weapons. Plus it doesn't look like you premeditated and were looking for a fight.

I hear bladed weapons in general often cause a lot of injuries to the person using them as well. And won't stop people quickly.

I don't really like the idea of a baseball bat in general b/c you need space to wind up and it's pretty predictable. BUT even if they block it it's going to break an arm or a leg.

If I was to attack someone and they pulled out a 20oz rip claw hammer!!! YIKES!

404dc600-42f7-44c1-9b0a-27164652c167_1.011bfa16cd97591be3206aedc737a325.jpeg

Denpending on context, IMO something like a Tomohawk (or these hammers with long handle that can generate a lot of velocity) or a very short stabbing and cleaving sword (something like a Yatagan or a gladius) are the ultimate melee weapon.

That or a very good stabbing knife. The guy willing to lose an arm to get close and stab you 10 times is going to win.

ik would get a cold steel walking stick. you can claim to only have gotten it for when you hurt your ankle one time.

91WALK_1__75076.1607300809.jpg

Well if you want to be fancy, yeah.

Otherwise a baseball bat is perfect.

If local laws are super unfriendly to firearms and blades a Japanese mancatcher might be nice to have in the front room on a wall.

First if your area is unfriendly to weapons and home defense or self defense it's a very bad idea to get any actual weapon as that shows intent. Sporting equipment is much better. However don't just get a baseball bat. Get the glove and ball also. Do the same with any Sporting item you want to use to defend yourself. Keep the bat, ball and glove together especially if you have it in you vehicle. Try to be smart about it. Also be smart about what you say to any cops that show up. In fact if you don't know the smart things to say keep your mouth shut.

I wouldn't waste my time on a baton, unless it has some real weight to it. I personally own a spanish cup hilt rapier. It is pretty and is very real, high carbon steel. It also looks like a collectors item rather than an outright mean weapon. But someone breaks into my house all those fencing classes will get put to use.

First if your area is unfriendly to weapons and home defense or self defense it's a very bad idea to get any actual weapon as that shows intent. Sporting equipment is much better. However don't just get a baseball bat. Get the glove and ball also. Do the same with any Sporting item you want to use to defend yourself. Keep the bat, ball and glove together especially if you have it in you vehicle. Try to be smart about it. Also be smart about what you say to any cops that show up. In fact if you don't know the smart things to say keep your mouth shut.

This is a very good point and shouldn't be understated.

I carry a baseball bat in my car, but I also have a bucket of balls, a glove, bases, etc. b/c I do coach youth baseball. Have a weapon on your that makes sense. If you are in construction, have tools including hammer.

If you are white collar and commute like I do - I have a hatchet, knife, and machete in my trunk. But I also have hiking boots, warms clothes, firestarter, water, emergency food, and a water filter. My reason to have hatchet and machete is if some major event happens (fire, earthquakes (entirely possible where I live) , floods), road closures for days you can claim to have the items in your trunk in case you have to get home to your family you'd be able to hike and live for a few days with the supplies in your trunk. If I have to use them in self defense it doesn't seem like I'm just waiting around wanting to attack someone with a hatchet b/c of road rage or something.

Side note: same thing with home defense shotgun. Get a wooden stock simple looking shotgun, not a tricked out tacticool shotgun that looks evil and black. If you have to use the old one, you are just a regular dude with a hunting shotgun in self defense. If you use your tacticool one that you spent $3k on with all the accesories, you are a gun bro just wanting to blast someone away who even knocks on your door.

Melee weapons in the hands of most people are only going to escalate the situation to someplace most are never ready to take it. Don’t pull a bat on an intruder unless you are really absolutely willing and ready to cave his skull in; don’t pull a sword on an intruder unless you’re willing and ready to hack him down with it. Otherwise you’re putting the bad guy into a situation where he may feel compelled to use violence, and you never planned on doing anything more than deterring, and it’s highly likely the bad guy is better at violence than you are.

Also as soon as you have more than one intruder, you have a much much bigger problem with your melee weapon.

Hello bros, in the last few years criminality in my country has been increasing. What weapon should I have in my house for protection?

I can't buy guns in my country, the laws are very strict here. So I can only settle for melee weapon. I already have baseball bats, but I dont know if it's adequate to fight some robber with a knife.

Back