Meeting up with an old friend after 20 years

I caught up with an old mate of mine a couple of weeks ago. 23 years have passed since we saw each other. Though it was kind of sad to see how life had dealt him some real misfortunes that he hasn't recovered well from, we had a great night. The following morning he posted on Facebook that he had caught up with me and had a great time. What happened next was interesting, and very fortuitous.

Just so happens he has loads of Facebook friends (500+) and a lot of them are mutual friends from way back. One of them saw his post and reminisced that she hadn't heard my name for a long time. Turns out she doesn't live far from me. She suggests we get together for drinks some time. Then another old friend who saw her post asks if she can come along. Then another. A day later we had arranged a mass reunion, with a couple of dozen people keen to join up for drinks, some of them driving from quite a distance away. Most of these people were guys and gals I grew up with, all of which I'd thought I'd never see again. We're catching up in a couple of weeks time. I'm really looking forward to it. I don't have any expectations about how any of them turned out so I don't expect to be disappointed in any way.

Interestingly, the first 3 people that commented were all girls that I had a major crush on at some point. Its going to be interesting to see how they turned out over 2 decades later. I can tell by checking out Facebook that 2 of them certainly turned out rather well in the looks department. My teenage intuition served me well :)

That seems like a very interesting situation dude. Good luck with the ladies. Are you single though? What about the two hot girls judging from their profiles?

Why you expect me to entertain him with refreshments and tea? Fuck that piece of shit con artist. You really feel bad for a motherfucker who cons people of their hard earned money by pretending to be their friend? Don't impose your morals on me, people like you get walked all over. I have no sympathy for criminals and I sure ain't gonna let anybody even try to take what I've worked so hard for. And btw he conned one of the guys that was going through tough times and had a little bit of savings that he wanted to invest in some business to get things going for him, when he called me and thanked me, it was an amazing feeling just to know that he got some peace of mind. The shocking part was he was roaming out freely without being in jail after robbing like a dozen people.

i dont feel bad for the guy, thats just a piece of shit move

i dont feel bad for the guy, thats just a piece of shit move

keep living in your fantasy world where I should have challenged him to a duel at an arena and fought for honor and glory lol

ok, it was still a piece of shit move

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Me too had a buddy I hadn't seen in a few years and it was that pyramid crap too. Was disaapoint

Shit this reminds me of one of my old classmates who showed up uninvited one day out of nowhere after like 15 years. I was shocked to see him outside my door but invited him in anyway. We talked for sometime and discussed old friends and stuff. Then he tried to get me in on his real estate business he was doing and apparently making a lot of money but all his money was already invested. I knew his shady ways back from school so I told him sure I'll think about it and even though I didn't want to give him my phone number, he asked and I obliged out of courtesy. He then started calling me up every other day even though I told him I can't help him out at this point. I then called one of my very good friends from school that I had been in contact with regularly and he told me this guy is a fucking con artist of high magnitude. He had already conned half of our school class.

The con artist classmate calls me again and I told him okay I'll have some money ready for him tomorrow. He comes in and knocks on my door. I beat the shit out of him and tell him if he ever shows his face again I'll do a lot worse than I just did and turn him in as I know what he's been upto. I never heard from him again. I called my other friend and told him to notify of this occurrence to whoever he can from our class that has been scammed by this piece of shit so that they can have some peace of mind. A got a few thank you calls too. I still don't understand why he wasn't in jail after scamming lots of people.

Good on you. Old school beatings are they way to go in those cases

Good on you. Old school beatings are they way to go in those cases

Thanks. I doubt the beating would change anything for him since I remember he stole my best friend's and my story books in like 6th or 7th grade and my best friend at that time kicked his ass and he had to return them. He was a thief since that time and its not surprising he turned out to be a con artist. He will end up in jail one day or maybe he's already there who knows.

My sister in law and I recently ran into a guy I was good friends with in elementary school. He was the bar tender at the place we were and when we found out who each out were he gave us free drinks all night long. Then my sister in law started acting like a jackass and got bounced. He said "I'm sorry man you didn't do anything but she's gotta go." I gave him $20 on a tab that was probably $150.

That seems like a very interesting situation dude. Good luck with the ladies. Are you single though? What about the two hot girls judging from their profiles?

Yeah, I'm single. One of the said ladies is happily married, the other 'kinda' has a boyfriend (her words). However I'm not approaching this reunion in the hope of a hook up. Just looking forward to catching up with old friends. But you never know your luck in a big city ;-)

Yeah, I'm single. One of the said ladies is happily married, the other 'kinda' has a boyfriend (her words). However I'm not approaching this reunion in the hope of a hook up. Just looking forward to catching up with old friends. But you never know your luck in a big city ;-)

Well enjoy your reunion and even though it's not your goal good luck on getting laid because that girl who kinda has a bf seems like a promising prospect.

I had literally the same exact scenario happen to me as TS except it wasn't 20 years and instead of an old friend it was a bunch of distant cousins who wanted to peddle a scam onto me and my dad.

Luckily we had enough sense to see the scam from far away and the cousins had actually invited a bunch of various people to their house and threw a BBQ to try to fatten us up. Knowing that my pops and I were gonna bounce, I proceeded to eat as much of the BBQ as possible so the scamming cousins would have to grill more food up and thus lose profits. While eating I informed the other people at the BBQ very quietly that the deal was very shady but the food was terrific.

It's depressing to meet old classmates.

It's bad when the first thing out of their mouth is "what happened to you? Man, thought you'd be doing better." Makes me want to move half way across the globe and assume a new identity. Pretty much the same with family I haven't talked to in a while. It's even worse, however, when you meet up with someone you admired and they've really made a mess of their entire lives and aren't ready for help.

I haven't picked up a pyramid scheme yet; maybe I should.

Fuck em.

I was about 5 years out of HS and still working retail to get myself through college when I ran into this dude I used to go to school with that was always near the top of the class as far as grades went. He just had this condescending tone talking to me as if I was some sort of a loser for working there and he was so much higher up than me. He kept saying things like "Yeah I have a career and a wife and two kids...do you have any plans for the rest of your life or are you just going to work here forever?" and shit like that.

Fast forward another 5 years and I'm making good money and I have a cute gf. Still no kids though because I don't want any right now. Anyway I checked out this dudes pics on facebook and he's a disgusting slob of a beast who looks like he's 48 with a giant wife and two giant kids that he looks like he hates. All of his facebook statuses are just complaining or bitching about random things and the world. I just look at him and laugh at how much cooler he once thought he was and now how his life looks like a shithole compared to mine. I'm not even one of those people that goes around judging how other peoples lives went but he just struck a nerve with that conversation he had with me that I never forgot.

I agree w/ the posters saying the whole meet up was a sham. The "friend" had an agenda to meet with the TS.

I would have been pretty upset and told him to leave, after he pulled a Bernie Madoff on me.

This thread reminded me why I'm gonna skip my 10 year HS reunion next summer.

People change, mostly for the worst.

Back