Medical Preparation

Captain

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What medical exams should I have? I'm getting ready to start training full-time. I'm in my twenties, and I don't have any illnesses (that I'm aware of). I want to minimize my expenses and exposure to radiation, but I also want to find out if I have diagnosed defects.

I was thinking of just going to my GP, but I don't think he has any sports background.

I found a list of tests
Source: http://mmajunkie.com/2011/07/ask-th...y-are-mma-fighters-medically-cleared-to-fight
  • Comprehensive physical examination form (two pages) to be completed by licensed physician chosen by the fighter
  • 12-lead EKG (heart rhythm)
  • Chest X-ray (valid for six years)
  • Urinalysis (checks primarily for infection and blood, notperformance-enhancing drugs)
  • Blood work for HIV, Hep B surface antigen, Hep C antibody, CBC, chemistry panel (electrolytes, creatinine and liver function)
  • Dilated ophthamalogic eye exam
  • MRI and/or MRA of brain one-time requirement but may be requested depending on age (36 or older), inactivity and fight history
  • Any other testing that the evaluating physician feels is necessary

I would see a nephrologist once a year and keep those results on you if you plan cutting any weight via dehydration methods, but otherwise thats a good list.

GPs are very well versed in the requirements for head-toe exams for impact sports.

Googling tests for yourself isn't going to benefit you- the tests you listed are used for a wide range of purposes, and certain tests are only given on an as-needed basis (patients in a hospital do not get given every single test from every department...they get it based on patient sign/symptoms and results of certain other tests that indicate further diagnostic intervention).

Just trust your doctor mate!

If you actually do fight, promotions will send you a list of medical exams.

I would see a nephrologist once a year and keep those results on you if you plan cutting any weight via dehydration methods, but otherwise thats a good list.
I don't plan on heavy cutting. ATM I'm more concerned about sparring/heavy cardio. I don't plan to have my first amateur fight for at least another year.

GPs are very well versed in the requirements for head-toe exams for impact sports.

Googling tests for yourself isn't going to benefit you- the tests you listed are used for a wide range of purposes, and certain tests are only given on an as-needed basis (patients in a hospital do not get given every single test from every department...they get it based on patient sign/symptoms and results of certain other tests that indicate further diagnostic intervention).

Just trust your doctor mate!
Well maybe my issue is that I need a new GP. My guy has me out in 10 minutes when I go in for a yearly physical.

If you actually do fight, promotions will send you a list of medical exams.
I'm more concerned about making sure I'm not at risk while I'm preparing.

Well maybe my issue is that I need a new GP. My guy has me out in 10 minutes when I go in for a yearly physical.

A head to toe exam on a regular person would not take much longer than that on a healthy person. A doctor will only refer you for extra diagnostics if he finds anything untoward or you report something abnormal in your everyday health. You might be overthinking this.

I've never had a physical take longer than 20 mins whether it was in the military or for boxing.

What medical exams should I have? I'm getting ready to start training full-time. I'm in my twenties, and I don't have any illnesses (that I'm aware of). I want to minimize my expenses and exposure to radiation, but I also want to find out if I have diagnosed defects.

I was thinking of just going to my GP, but I don't think he has any sports background.

I found a list of tests
Source: http://mmajunkie.com/2011/07/ask-th...y-are-mma-fighters-medically-cleared-to-fight
  • Comprehensive physical examination form (two pages) to be completed by licensed physician chosen by the fighter
  • 12-lead EKG (heart rhythm)
  • Chest X-ray (valid for six years)
  • Urinalysis (checks primarily for infection and blood, notperformance-enhancing drugs)
  • Blood work for HIV, Hep B surface antigen, Hep C antibody, CBC, chemistry panel (electrolytes, creatinine and liver function)
  • Dilated ophthamalogic eye exam
  • MRI and/or MRA of brain one-time requirement but may be requested depending on age (36 or older), inactivity and fight history
  • Any other testing that the evaluating physician feels is necessary

I would consider those to be pretty standard pre-employment screening tests as well. You can add audiogram and vaccines to the mix too, if you want to get really comprehensive. @Badger67 , If your blood work is comprehensive enough (to include kidney function) your GP can refer you to nephrologist if there is anything out of whack. But before you start cutting at all I would see someone who knows what they're doing.

A head to toe exam on a regular person would not take much longer than that on a healthy person. A doctor will only refer you for extra diagnostics if he finds anything untoward or you report something abnormal in your everyday health. You might be overthinking this.

I've never had a physical take longer than 20 mins whether it was in the military or for boxing.
He doesn't even have me get nude. That's what bothers me (lol).

I would consider those to be pretty standard pre-employment screening tests as well. You can add audiogram and vaccines to the mix too, if you want to get really comprehensive. @Badger67 , If your blood work is comprehensive enough (to include kidney function) your GP can refer you to nephrologist if there is anything out of whack. But before you start cutting at all I would see someone who knows what they're doing.
Cool, thanks for the info.

Back